Subaru WRX Forum banner

High Knock Correction - Where to Next?

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  danny chapman 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I rarely try to go WOT when daily driving, but it has been known to happen when called for. I noticed that tell-tale signs of Knock (Sounded like marbles in the engine) when I was at WOT. I had only previously used RomRaider/ECU Flash to pass emissions due to my exhaust and knew I would need a tune at some point, but the sound of knocking made me realize this needs to happens sooner rather than later.

I have been reading all weekend about logging and how to read them, but wanted some advice on how to proceed. I will be doing a 3rd gear pull tomorrow (either on my way to or from work) so I can dissect it further, but decided it may be a good idea to use Learning View and figure out what my FLKC was. As seen in the screenshot, it reaches -5.27 in one of the cells...Is there anything I should do before making my log tomorrow? I really don't want to be WOT as much as possible, and I don't notice any knock when I'm only half throttle regardless of RPM. Help?

2003 WRX - Pretty much stock except for the below mods
Catless Up-pipe
3 inch APS TBE
Mishimoto TMI

Text Blue Line Font Number

See less See more
#2 ·
You have high learning in column C and D. I'd take a look and make sure you don't have a vacuum leak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Feel free, but I'm going out on a limb and saying you have a mechanical issue. Vacuum leak, injector solenoids, or O2 sensor are at the top of my list. Fueling issues can be very difficult to track down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Ok, I finally seemed to have gotten all of my parameters correct. I also tried to find the boost leak using soapy water but didn't get any luck. I will likely have to do a pressure test unless someone has a better idea.

I can see lots of knock correction and a dip in boost. I'm not 100% sure how to read these yet, so I apologize for my ignorance!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-AeV1d8DYx3ZS1OeVR2SUVGN3M/view?ths=true

#14 ·
have you scaled the maf? like above make sure no leaks etc.. either pull some timing from base timing or richen her up a bit. what are you boosting at, with a catless exhaust it will be alot more free flowing so might have to adjust w/g duty to keep it in check. also if you can check compression and valve clearence to rule out a few. Also enable the dtc reader, so if any codes show it will point you in the right direction thats what its for lol nice colour btw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.