Subaru WRX Forum banner

Installing AP on Opensource tune

13K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  mycologist 
#1 ·
I spent some time looking around in the open source tuning threads and didn't seem to find an answer. Anyways, my 14' WRX was open source tuned to Torqued Performance Stage 1 by the previous owner. I already have an access port from my old WRX. Can I install this without re-flashing the ECU or overwriting the open source tune? All I want to do is measure parameters, I DO NOT want to tune the car using the access port or in any way. But from my understanding (correct me if i'm wrong) you need to select a map to tune when installing the AP?

Figured I would try to use a $600 device for something.. rather than letting it sit there and do nothing. Plus, its always good to keep an eye on things. Any input appreciated! thanks.

#3 ·
Do not do it. Use romraider to log - works better anyway. Having a Cobb AP lock out an Opensource ECU is at the very least antithetic and could be an issue.

#5 ·
Do not do it.
Agreed.

Use romraider to log - works better anyway.
Not so sure about that anymore. The V3s have faster datalogging than the older versions, and aren't as finicky as RR. RR logging could be temperamental at times. I preferred stand-alone OP2.0 logging. RomRaider was excellent for tweaking the map, but pretty meh for logging, IMO.

But yes, if the OP has an opensource tune, they need to log with RR, for better or for worse.

#8 · (Edited)
Rambo said:
RR logging could be temperamental at times. I preferred stand-alone OP2.0 logging. RomRaider was excellent for tweaking the map, but pretty meh for logging, IMO.
Respectfully, PICNIC...

I've tuned/logged countless vehicles, and never experienced a single issue connecting my laptop to a vehicle.

#10 ·
The issue wasn't connecting the laptop. I never had an issue flashing. The problem was was in occasional data inconsistencies, or a particular parameter had junk data was the rest was fine. It didn't happen too often though, obviously we got enough useful logs to make informed changes.

#9 ·
I wouldn't knock RR, or a open sourced tune.
But the Cobb V3 is a nice unit, I had the V2 on my 04 WRX.
The V3 is a big upgrade from the V2, the newer software versions make them more user friendly. And Cobbs additional Race software is a nice addition if you know how to use it properly.
Open Source is an equally beneficial if not more beneficial tuning source than Cobb.
If it was an option, I would have EJ257 tune my car any day. His vast knowledge of both open source and Cobb, those guys at WTF tuning know what's up.

#11 ·
Rambo said:
The issue wasn't connecting the laptop. I never had an issue flashing. The problem was was in occasional data inconsistencies, or a particular parameter had junk data was the rest was fine. It didn't happen too often though, obviously we got enough useful logs to make informed changes.
I never have experienced the issues you're reporting. Based on the tuning situation with you had with me, I obviously trust your data; I am just stating that I have never experienced any issue datalogging with RR.

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies. The AccessPort is compatible for the vehicle, it is the v3 and was for my 2008 (2008-2014)

So my question now is... I have my intake and downpipe off my 08 and wanted to put it on my 14' when the car is out of warranty. Are you saying I shouldn't use the AP to flash over to stage 2? I'm stuck with stage 1 open source? Or am I forced to get a protune or another open source tune (in which I don't trust myself to do) I'll have to find a reputable tuner.

#13 ·
No, we are saying don't do both. If you want to switch over to Cobb entirely and ditch Opensource the AP will marry and flash fine over the opensource map.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.