Subaru WRX Forum banner

P0244 CODE.

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  vegasbloom 
#1 ·
This code happened after I installed my catless downpipe. Overall it has happened three times. I have a 2014 WRX with COBB SF Intake, Invidia Q300, and Invidia Catless DP. I also did a pro tune the same time I installed the Catless DP.
I been doing a lot of research how to fix the problem but all I get is protune. Which I did get by the way. I went back to my tuner and he said to fix the problem I have to go EWG setup. He said he already tried Low Wastegate Map but my car keeps
creeping up the boost. Any suggestions what I should do? Is it the tuner or the car that is the problem? Also is my engine safe because it doesn't sound very nice when it cuts me off. I hope the safety feature did its job. Don't want a blown engine it is a new car. :(

#3 ·
Get rid of the sf intake and retune. i cracked ring lands because of this very issues and then spun a rod bearing in my 13. i took off the sf intake and retuned, and never hit over 19.06. your hitting very high boost which increases cylinder temp, and can cause knock events. That if left un check and cause ring land issues and possible bearing issues. I have talked to several tuners about this as well. the waste gate on your turbo is not large enough to move enough exhaust gas away from the turbine wheel to stop it from spooling. This can be remedied some by pro tuning, but is largely a mechanical issue.

#5 ·
Catted downpipes are generally better for preventing boost creep issues. On the other hand, catless are known for creating this issue. nsibanez is right, at this point you have 2 options. Sell the catless and buy catted, with a good chance of that fixing the issue, or go EWG. Just know going with a EWG setup includes more supporting mods so I hope you have some money to spend. And a tuner cannot tune out boost creep. This is a mechanical issue that cannot be fixed by a tune.

#8 ·
THIS is the only thing I see really missing on your list. But one of the most important parts. Also, I'm sure you know this, but it will have to be pro-tuned after. And for the boost control solenoid, the grimmspeed 3-port ebcs is one the best and most common. However, I have heard of EWG setups getting some "flutter" when using an ebcs, but apparently doing the mbc/ebcs hybrid fixes it. I'd double check with your tuner on that though. But im sure I have read that somewhere before.

#9 ·
I would not ever use only the ecbs.
It is designed to fail closed, keeping boost under 7psi.
I don't care if it's billet, 3 port, has an ECU piggyback of the same brand, or has picture of a naked girl on it...
That being the design... and even that can fail, so I recommend the MBC.
Different tuners use it in different ways, but the reaction time of a properly designed MBC still beats the ecbs.
If you choose to make the alterations to the rest of the engine and tune necessary to take advantage of the MBC having a faster reaction time, it's quite a bit of a safety tool, more or less a "boost fuse" that keeps the rest of the engine safe if there is any serious surging in the turbine, like a fuel cut as you described. Creep can be caused by enough of a variety of reasons that it is something you may end up finding that tuning around it is more economical, and that you will have it out of the way with the next round/stage of mods you choose.

What is your turbo setup?
totally stock?

#11 ·
This just started happening to me today. Ran fine all summer with a catted turbo back and im going to blame it on the colder more dense air as to why it just started throwing the code.? The list that you described, is that everything you must buy in conjunction with the EWG?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.