2015 WRX | Stock | Cobb Stage 1 | Stage 1 PROtune | BrenTuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX | Stock | Cobb Stage 1 | Stage 1 PROtune | BrenTuning within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, First post on here, I spend most of my time on NASIOC, but I figured that I would ...

2015 WRX | Stock | Cobb Stage 1 | Stage 1 PROtune | BrenTuning

Hi all,

First post on here, I spend most of my time on NASIOC, but I figured that I would share it over here as there aren't many comparisons like this. I have copied my thread from NASIOC.

Cheers!

Car: 2015 WRX 6MT
    Tuner: BrenTuning
    Dyno Info: Mustang MD150
    Transmission: 6-Speed
    Gear: 3rd
    Peak HP at RPM: 270WHP @ 5550RPM
    Peak Torque at RPM: 288WTQ @ ~4050RPM
    Baseline HP/TQ for stock on same dyno: 217WHP/228WTQ
    Target Boost: ~21
    Target AFR: ~11.0
    Fuel: 93 Octane

I bought this car on 7/8/2015 with 6 miles on the odometer from Gary at Manchester Subaru (awesome guy). This is my 7th Subaru and by far my favorite. At WBM 2014, I entered the raffle for a Cobb Accessport, it was for a car that at the time, I didn't even own, but I knew it would be coming in and I knew that I can't keep anything stock. I ended up winning the raffle and the AP sat on my desk for a month. Once I received the car I enjoyed it stock for a little while until the maps were released. Once released I immediately downloaded them and flashed to my car. I could notice a difference in power immediately, although not as much as in the EJ, I knew it would get better with a protune -- and that it did.

Bren and I had been talking for a while and I had been pestering him on what seemed like a daily basis on the release of ATP. The day that it was released I sent him some logs, he did some wizardry and a couple hours later I had an updated map to flash to my car. The difference between his map and the OTS map was immediately noticeable -- more noticeable than flashing from OEM to OTS stage 1. The car pulled much harder up top and came on much quicker. We tossed a couple logs and revisions back and forth before finally finding some time to get the car on the dyno and tweak it that much more. The results speak for themselves.

Impressions:

The car pulls great through all the gears and is a HUGE improvement over the OTS maps. Where OTS would lug in 6th on the highway, this map is smooth and I never feel the need to downshift. Power is linear and torque comes on quickly. Many people complained about the OTS throttle mapping, something which took time for me to adjust to as well. With this map the throttle input is the same as OTS, but it isn't an issue, it feels OEM in sensitivity while still having full control of throttle input. I took a 150 mile trip the day after getting her off the dyno and averaged 37MPG on the readout! This was over hilly terrain ranging from 50-70MPH, I couldn't believe it, I never saw close to that stock or OTS.

This car made:

Stock: 217WHP/228WTQ
    Cobb: 236WHP/239WTQ
    PROtune: 270WHP/288WTQ

It made 53WHP/60WTQ (peak) over stock with gains in the midrange as high as 70WTQ! Enough typing, I'll get on with the pictures!

Contact info:

BrenTuning
    377 Worcester Rd
    Charlton, MA

Phone: (508) 434-1201
    Email: sales@brentuning.com

Bren will dyno or e-tune the car, obviously best gains with a dyno tune.

Dyno Video

BrenTuning 2015 Subaru WRX "Stage 1" 270WHP/288WTQ - YouTube

Stock

2015 WRX Stock Baseline by cdrobillard413, on Flickr

Cobb Stage 1

2015 WRX Cobb Stage 1 V108 by cdrobillard413, on Flickr

BrenTuning PROtune

2015 WRX Stage 1 PROtune by cdrobillard413, on Flickr

Stock vs PROtune

2015 WRX Stock vs Stage 1 PROtune by cdrobillard413, on Flickr

Cobb Stage 1 vs PROtune

2015 WRX Cobb Stage 1 vs Stage 1 PROtune by cdrobillard413, on Flickr

Stock vs Cobb Stage 1 vs PROtune

2015 WRX Stock v Cobb v PROtune by cdrobillard413, on Flickr

image by cdrobillard413, on Flickr

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Reserved for updates!

Some pics of the car:

Last edited by toph; 09-08-2014 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks for posting. Any intake mods whatsoever?

The car is 100% stock down to the air filter!

^ D@mn!

The car drives great. Really a huge improvement in both driveability and power over stock and a big improvement over the Cobb maps. I am very pleased highly recommend any '15 owner to go see Bren.

Those figures look great! One thing I am curious about is why you guys chose a target boost of ~21. Cobb choose ~19, and of course stock is listed at 15.9 if my memory serves me correctly. At what point does the boost level become dangerous to the engine or turbo? I am interested in having my car pro-tuned, but at the same time don't want to blow the thing up!

Stock I saw quick peaks to 22.4lbs. The Cobb map was actually quite a bit higher than 19.5 on my car -- I had seen 22lbs (which holds longer than stock map) quite a few times on Cobb OTS. The FA is a pretty stout motor and the car is happy at 21lbs. There has been 0 recorded knock events during any of the dyno pulls or any of my street pulls. You could have Bren E-tune the car and it would be a drastic improvement over the OTS Cobb maps. Shoot him an email and see what he can do for you -- Sales@brentuning.com

Stock overboosts for a brief period but the sustained target is 15.9 I believe. I am waiting on my local tuner to give some feedback but will certainly consider talking to Bren as well. Thanks for the info!

I Support ClubWRX
    AFR graph on the Cobb seems off...

Regardless, great gains, and it's good to see good work coming out of the Northeast on Subarus
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    AFR graph on the Cobb seems off...

Regardless, great gains, and it's good to see good work coming out of the Northeast on Subarus
    I thought the same thing, this is what was read out the tail via a calibrated sensor. We did notice that the more pulls, the more the AFR went rich.

First, let me say congrats on those impressive numbers! Were you planning on taking it to a track or 1/4 mile? I would love to see with that power what times you are pulling in now. If not man enjoy that beast. Did you do anything crazy during break in?
    Last edited by Raginrok; 09-04-2014 at 10:59 AM.
    2015 Subaru WRX Base CWP (she is here and she is fun!)
    2004 Acura RSX Type S (Probably put way to much money into this)

Thank you sir. I am hoping to get her to the track on Sunday. Going to run a couple times on this map and then flash to 'stage 0' (stock) and run her that way. I will update if I make it!

Not going to lie, I am excited for you. I will be put my accessport in after break-in. Still in the 'drive like you stole it stage' of break-in.
    2015 Subaru WRX Base CWP (she is here and she is fun!)
    2004 Acura RSX Type S (Probably put way to much money into this)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast