help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on help within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so im a new wrx owner. Picked up a 03 wrx with tgv deletes and a prodrive y-pipe. well ...

help

Ok, so im a new wrx owner. Picked up a 03 wrx with tgv deletes and a prodrive y-pipe. well it was only running around 7psi so i got a tune and it helped out a lot. but I'm only boosting at 10psi now. no vac leaks or boost leaks. discovered i don't have a restrictor pill. I'm assuming that's my problem.

so my question is: if i put a restrictor pill in would i have to get another tune?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My question to you is where did you have this tuned? because your tuner should have caught that problem....
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

It was road tuned by tommy kentner in clarksville tennessee. and i asked him the same question. his response was almost all the wrx's he tunes are at 7psi. But i've researched and im no where near stock psi.

im right at 10psi now, with the fuel pump at 100% cycle, injectors are at 90%, and the maf g/s were 180.

I Support ClubWRX
    what are you using to read your boost?
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

boost gauge. it was already in the car. reads correct.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mofeel View Post
    boost gauge. it was already in the car. reads correct.
    Either way, a lack of restrictor pill will cause you to not even come close to hitting your target boost. Second off, your tuner still should have known something wasn't right when you weren't even coming close to the STOCK target boost.... I would start looking for a new tuner. Maybe someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Edit: let me also add that with a restrictor pill I would think you will need to be tuned again. This, I'm not for certain about, but it's my best answer based on my knowledge of the cars.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

well i talked to him and he said all the wrx's he has tuned as been around 7psi. also told me i could just get a walbro 255 and he could put me at the target boost with no need for the pill.

I Support ClubWRX
    Might want to see if someone more knowledgable on 03's will tune into this because that doesn't sound too right to me...
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I'll try to find someone more knowledgable. there needs to be a tuner forum so you can find tuners near you. haha

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll try to find someone more knowledgable. there needs to be a tuner forum so you can find tuners near you. haha
    I could agree with that lol
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

just debating on what he said though. cause there are aftermarket turbos that you don't run the pill. so maybe the walbro 255 would help. right? over thinking on this probably.

just debating on what he said though. cause there are aftermarket turbos that you don't run the pill. so maybe the walbro 255 would help. right? over thinking on this probably.
    The only time you should ditch the restrictor pill is if you are running aftermarket boost control. Sometime ago somebody decided that because it was a "restrictor" pill - that it was a bad thing... it's not. You need it unless you change to an alternative method of boost control (EBCS/MBC). As far as Walbro 255 goes... that is a fuel pump. It has nothing to do with your turbo or your boost. Sounds like you need to do some research on your car. Start here:

Boost Control FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subypete View Post
    The only time you should ditch the restrictor pill is if you are running aftermarket boost control. Sometime ago somebody decided that because it was a "restrictor" pill - that it was a bad thing... it's not. You need it unless you change to an alternative method of boost control (EBCS/MBC). As far as Walbro 255 goes... that is a fuel pump. It has nothing to do with your turbo or your boost. Sounds like you need to do some research on your car. Start here:

Boost Control FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    This only helps solidify my original statement that you need to be looking for a new tuner. Because the one you are using now doesn't know what he is doing....
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

ok, thanks guys. i'll try to find another tuner. any suggestions? im in central city, ky. everyone tells me dk goodrich but i dont wanna drive all the way to frankfort ky. thats a bit of a drive.

I Support ClubWRX
    The suggestion I have isn't much closer. Dom Acia up at Turn In Concepts in Cincinnati did my car and is a very good, reputable tuner. But since you are down in the panhandle of KY that's a 5 hr drive for you.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast