Ecu failure
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ecu failure within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok guy a I have a 2014 wrx stage 2 with exaust and turbo inlet and intake Mansfield hose access ...

Ecu failure

Ok guy a I have a 2014 wrx stage 2 with exaust and turbo inlet and intake Mansfield hose access port Tuner from Cobb . The other day my car just shut off and won't start the dealer says my ecu is toast and that my tuner is to blame. Fist has anyone ever heard of this happening to anyone els and what did they do?second is their after market ecus out their for tuned cars ( stronger ecus ) if so who makes them and what's the cost . I need some advise as now I'm scared that I'll be out. Grand for a stock ecu and it's going to do the same thing and it will be a wast of money

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjtr View Post
    Ok guy a I have a 2014 wrx stage 2 with exaust and turbo inlet and intake Mansfield hose access port Tuner from Cobb. I need some advise as now I'm scared that I'll be out. Grand for a stock ecu and it's going to do the same thing and it will be a wast of money
    There may be more money involved than that: even if you replace your ECU, you need to retain your old one so that Cobb can unmarry your accessport (I think that they ask you to send it in with the accessport), then you can install it on the new ECU. If you don't do this, you may need to revert the car to stock or pay to have the accessport unmarried for future use.
    David - '05 WRX

Yea I have already been in contact with Cobb and that's the plan this far . But I was just wondering if their has been anyone who has ever had their ap tuner do this

I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty sure Cobb is the only one capable

dude i have a brand new stoc ecu that will work for your car ill aniihalate wahtever the dealer charges you for one, they are almost 800 bucks shoot me a text 806- 77 eight- 9 three 07 ill give you a killer deal

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    ECU failure is NOT common. In fact, all of the failed ECUs I have seen over the years have been caused by the ECU being submerged in water. There is virtually nothing the AP can do to ruin the ECU.. it can brick the ECU if you shut the car off while you're in the middle of flashing maps, but that's fixable.

Are you sure it's not your immobilizer giving you issues and the dealership is just trying to scam you?

There are aftermarket ECUs.. for race cars. MoTeC is a pretty powerful aftermarket ECU, which costs anywhere from $4000 to $8000 depending on what sensors you want with it. And be advised you will have to rewire your car for it to work (which is easily another $1000 unless you do it yourself). Then there's the ViPEC i88, which is what I would like to have personally. That one only costs around $2300, and maybe another $1000 to install. Syvecs is another option, costs around $6000-$7000. That one seems to be pretty popular with GT-R owners.

One issue with departing from stock ECU is that it will not pass emissions tests (unless you plug the stock ECU back in to get it tested). So you will still need a working OEM ECU to keep it street legal.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    There is virtually nothing the AP can do to ruin the ECU.. it can brick the ECU if you shut the car off while you're in the middle of flashing maps, but that's fixable.
    Care to explain this a bit?
    Last edited by Zataks; 08-13-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    Care to explain this a bit?

Sure. All the AP does is allow you to read/write data to the ECU. It can't physically damage the ECU via software, so it can't really ruin the ECU.. you can [virtually] always change the data written on the ECU to something else, revert to stock if you want, whatever.

Now if you're in the act of writing new data to the ECU and you sever the connection that data could end up corrupt because it wasn't able to finish. Which has the possibility of bricking the ECU where it won't interface the the AP because it doesn't even know what it is anymore. Still, that only has to do with the data saved on the memory chip, no hardware damage. Therefore you can always hook it up to the right rig (to gain access to the boot loader), erase the contents of the memory chip, and force working data back on to the chip. Then it's like a new ECU again.

Think of it like a PC. There are a lot of things you can do to screw up the software where it will quit working, viruses, killing the power in the middle of operating system updates, etc. But no matter how bad you screw up Windows, it still has a working motherboard, CPU, powersupply, etc. All you have to do is delete the partition, format the hard drive, and reinstall Windows.. then it's like a new PC again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you ask Cobb to recover your ECU? I had a bad time a while back: I think my accessport just fried my ECU
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Yes I have been untouched with Cobb they said they fully recovered the ecu and the ap tuner ! But when we putit in the car it still wouldn't start . And the dealer said if I touch the new ecu I have to pay for it if it fixes it or not !!! Who does that ?

Stealerships.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjtr View Post
    Yes I have been untouched with Cobb they said they fully recovered the ecu and the ap tuner ! But when we putit in the car it still wouldn't start . And the dealer said if I touch the new ecu I have to pay for it if it fixes it or not !!! Who does that ?
    Most automotive stores will not let you return sensitive electronics. You could be having an issue with your immobilizer.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

That's what I think it is but they said they checked that. But I'm about to just have it towed to Cobb and let them look at it

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.