2003 WRX EkuTek tuned ECU Question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2003 WRX EkuTek tuned ECU Question within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all! I'll start this off by saying that I'm not sure if this would be the correct forum for ...

2003 WRX EkuTek tuned ECU Question

Hello all!
    I'll start this off by saying that I'm not sure if this would be the correct forum for this thread, but I couldn't think of a better one to put it in.

My vehicle is tuned using an AP, so when I went to get it tuned I brought with me a stock '02 ECU, and that's what is in my car now. This left me with a perfectly good 2003 WRX ECU laying around. Only problem being, it's EcuTek tuned (for a 2.5 hybrid nonetheless).

I've got a couple questions involving this (My apologies if they've been asked before, I would use the search function more thoroughly but I'm in a parking lot with no power cable, just waiting for my friend to get out of the gym that I gave him a ride to)- If I recall correctly, to get an EcuTek tune you must pay the licensing fee to get it on there. Also, it can only be unlocked, or retuned by a place that deals with EcuTek.

My plan is to sell this ECU, but I'm really not sure what I should charge for it, for several reasons. First, I'll say that I've seen stock or non-ecutek locked ecus run between $100-150. The only ecutek tuned ECU for my year(s) I've seen sold was selling for $300, on the basis that even though the tune on it is useless to another person, all they would have to do is bring it to a tuner who uses ecutek and get it reflashed for their vehicle, without having to pay the licensing fee. Is it true that they won't have to repay the licensing fee? And the second question being, in your opinions, was the person who was selling the ecutek tuned ECU for twice what a stock or unlocked ECU goes for justified? It almost makes sense to me, since the buyer would then not have to worry about paying the licensing fee (if that part is true). Does anyone know how much it would cost to get it unlocked by ecutek, or would that just drop the value anyway (or cost enough to make the potential increase [if it would be an increase] in value null)?

And, finally; In your opinions, what would you guys think of as a reasonable value for the ECU? It's in perfect condition, just tuned with ecutek. I don't want to post it for sale until I've got an idea- I have a feeling listing it for a little more than an unlocked ECU makes sense, atleast in terms of a buyer who wants ecutek or who has an ecutek tuner nearby. But for all I know, the general consensus may be "It's worth half of a normal unlocked ECU", or "The same price", or maybe even that whomever was selling one for $300 was justified. I just really have no idea of the value, and don't want to overlist or significantly underlist the item.

Again, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to inform me and I will delete the thread and move it to the proper place; or admins feel free to move it yourself.

I thank you all for any input you may have on any of the questions I've posed here.

Thanks again! Any information, opinions, etc., will be highly valued.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    This is a good place for the topic. I'm afraid though that those of us who even remember what an EcuTek is are getting few and far between here.

I suspect you are going to need to try to contact them to get the specifics.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    This is a good place for the topic. I'm afraid though that those of us who even remember what an EcuTek is are getting few and far between here.

I suspect you are going to need to try to contact them to get the specifics.
    Well, I know that there are some tuners (Like EFI, which is whom I use) who dont bother with EcuTek anymore- But there are tuners much closer to me than EFI that will use, still do use, and some even prefer it over Cobb's Accessport or Opensource because although it is proprietary, it also works with some pretty nifty other proprietary technology. I believe Crawford uses EcuTek quite often (but I'm not positive) and I have run into multiple people recently who have gotten recent EcuTek tunes.

As far as some of my other questions, I got a chance to plug my computer in someplace with reliable internet that's not cutting out every 5 minutes, and do some research. Here's the deal with EcuTek's prices, should anyone else ever have any of those questions:
    1.) In order to unlock the ecu, it must be sent to EcuTek, or a certified EcuTek dealer- And the cost of unlocking the ECU is $150.
    2.) If you get an ECU that already has EcuTek retuned with EcuTek - Regardless of if you are the one who paid the licensing fee originally or not - you DO NOT have to pay for the Licensing fee again. Which is nice, because
    3.) EcuTek's Licensing fee is a whopping $250. That means if you've got an EcuTek tuner around, or want to use EcuTek for whatever reason, buying an ECU that already has EcuTek on it will save you that $250 when at the tuner. On top of that, it saves the tuner a good chunk of time doing the tune, since they don't have to mess with the license or equipping the ECU with EcuTek- They can just reflash it with EcuTek. Not all tuners charge by time (atleast, I know EFI certainly doesn't) but if they do, that's going to save you yet more money by saving them time.

So, In conclusion: To get the ECU unlocked would be $150- that's on the upper range of what an unlocked stock 02-03 MT ECU is worth anyway, which completely nullifies the idea of unlocking and then selling it.
    Also, since the license fee cost $250, if you can find a buyer who wants to use EcuTek, or who doesn't care what they use but could use EcuTek if they wanted, selling the EcuTek locked ECU saves them significant money at the tuner, which could very well make it worth them buying the ECU for more than an unlocked ECU.

For instance; Say someone buys my ECU for $300. While that might be twice as much as buying an unlocked ECU, and $50 more than just paying the license fee for their ECU, they then have their original ECU, which gives them the potential to sell that for $150, making their total expenditure on an EcuTek tune $150+Tuning costs-the extra time required to initially set up EcuTek, rather than $250+Tuning costs+Extra time dealing with the licensing and initial install.

So, basically it comes down to: Yeah, if you find the right buyer, an EcuTek tuned ECU can very well be worth more than an unlocked one. HOWEVER- Actually FINDING that "right buyer"-or them finding you- will probably take quite some time, if it ever happens at all. But, we'll see. I put it up on Ebay (rather optimistically priced) and I'll see what happens. If theres no bites before the listing ends, I'll drop the price a bit, and list it here as well as on ebay. I may list it on NASIOC for what I have it on ebay for now when I get the time later, but that's only because I really don't care for NASIOC generally. I like this forum entirely too much to list an ECU for $300 in our classifieds

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    ECUtek is picking up significant steam with the 2015 WRX. It is a better solution than Cobb in many ways.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    ECUtek is picking up significant steam with the 2015 WRX. It is a better solution than Cobb in many ways.
    Yes, but a 16bit ECU isn't going to be much use to the '15 WRX or BRZ crowd. I agree EcuTek has some really innovative stuff. They pioneered on-the-fly map switching, and this lends itself to built-in flexfuel support.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Yes, but a 16bit ECU isn't going to be much use to the '15 WRX or BRZ crowd. I agree EcuTek has some really innovative stuff. They pioneered on-the-fly map switching, and this lends itself to built-in flexfuel support.
    My response was aimed at Dr. John.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Oops, my bad.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Eh, even had it been aimed at me, I made it extremely clear in the ad that it is for '02-'03 USDM MT WRX's anyway, so anyone with a 2015 buying it would just be silly

We'll see how the ebay thing goes; no ones touched the stock injectors or ignition coil either yet, but then again I priced them all optimistically for the first round just in case

But im off to respond to enough nasioc threads that I can start a thread in the classifieds there, and then play with my alignment a bit... Which is a story in itself. Adjustable control arms+ toe lock bolts+camber bolts.. took it for a "professional" alignment and they just used the control arms, completely ignored the stock camber adjustment site, and got it to factory spec..but with my LR tire hitting my fender like mad, and the RR tire rubbing the inside sidewall against the body.... Sigh. Guess I'll do it myself.

Thanks guys! Hopefully this thread will be useful to someone else along the way, I've known more than a few people who've had difficulty with finding information on EcuTek, atleast when it comes to pre-08 WRX's.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I certainly wasn't aware of its utility in 2015. Just to clarify though, my statement was reflective of what I perceived regarding popularity prior, not actual utility. Often the two do not go together. I always saw them as advanced tools that could produce advanced results. Never played with one though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.