Help with Newbie Tuning
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help with Newbie Tuning within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm very new to all this, but I'm trying to understand what the car is doing and how to tune ...

Help with Newbie Tuning

I'm very new to all this, but I'm trying to understand what the car is doing and how to tune for it. I bought a 2002 WRX with the following mods:
    -EJ22T block with ACL bearings, '05 STi rods, WRX heads; few other bits.
    -VF34 turbo
    -FMIC (looks like a no-name, eBay type)
    -TurboXS BOV
    -RA gearset
    -COBB SF intake
    -ACT 6 puck and flywheel
    -Invidia up-pipe
    -Borla hush 3" cat back (I believe the entire exhaust is 3" catless, though)
    -DW300 fuel pump
    -Unknown injectors; I think they're stockers, but I'm unsure. I have some DW1300s ready to go in, but I need to get better at understanding tune, first.
    -Colorado Springs, CO (elevation ~6500'), ~70F

The guy I bought it from put on some generic tune he found just to get it all running. From what I'm seeing, it's very close to stock in most ways and different in only a few areas (like the boost target map). I don't want to post it because I don't know where he got it; I'd hate to post some tuner's hard work for free on the internet. The MAF scaling table is identical to stock, which I believe it ought not be for an SF intake. COBB says you don't need to rescale the MAF for a 2002 with an SFI, but I found an MAF table for the SF intake on ROMRaider (link) but I think I need to do the MAF hack to get my MAF to read over 300 since the table I got goes to 488.86 at 4.96v.

I did my first log the other night with a WOT pull (3rd gear) from ~2200 to what was supposed to be redline, but the power cut out quite a bit at around 6000 RPMs. You'll see why from the log. I'm trying to wrap my head around what's going on, here, but I sure could use some direction. From what I understand, the ECU pulled timing because of knocking. Could this be caused by the MAF reading incorrectly? Too little fueling? Too much timing advance at that level?

Log spreadsheet, WOT in 3rd gear from ~2200-6000 RPM:
    Google Drive Link

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Well, it's knocking like hell from 5600 on up.. one more pull like that and I'd be surprised if the engine stays in one piece. Your IAM is at 0 anyways, so you're not even to the point of being able to get a decent log. The tune is clearly all wrong, and I would get that fixed ASAP.

As far as your injectors, why in the world did you get DW1300s? For one, those injectors are junk.. I mean they flat out don't work. And another thing.. that turbo setup doesn't need anything more than 565cc injectors to run.

Seriously, if you want to keep the same engine in your car, stop driving it immediately and take it to a reputable tuner so they can fix it.

Here's where I stand right now. I made what I feel is a safe map with the MAF scaling from that ROMRaider thread (using the MAF hack to get the ECU to read over 300 g/sec; I'd love someone to check my work, though I think I did it correctly). I'll link it in this post, if I can figure out how. Also, I've included some screen shots of the tune I'm starting with.

My goal with this tune is basically to create a very safe condition where I can scale my MAF properly (LC-1 wideband should hopefully be fully installed within the next few days; bung is already welded and gauge hooked up). I think I may be topping out my injectors as the tune it came with was calling for something like 18.95 psi peak boost and the car was hitting 80% of that, so something like 15 psi. As far as I know, the injectors are stockers. I have some DW1300s ready to go in, but I think the MAF should be scaled first, right?

Anyway, let me know what you all think of the map I've concocted and whether I've done anything egregious.

My Map

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Well, it's knocking like hell from 5600 on up.. one more pull like that and I'd be surprised if the engine stays in one piece. Your IAM is at 0 anyways, so you're not even to the point of being able to get a decent log. The tune is clearly all wrong, and I would get that fixed ASAP.

As far as your injectors, why in the world did you get DW1300s? For one, those injectors are junk.. I mean they flat out don't work. And another thing.. that turbo setup doesn't need anything more than 565cc injectors to run.

Seriously, if you want to keep the same engine in your car, stop driving it immediately and take it to a reputable tuner so they can fix it.
    I got the 1300s because I plan on running E85 and would like the overhead in there (I'm in Colorado springs, so we have a ton of stations for it here and it's stupid cheap). Are they really that bad? I had heard good things from some people, but this is the internet so opinions are like a dime a million.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked it was knocking that badly. The tune, from what I can see, is pretty much crap for the car. I've been driving it for quite some time, now, and I'm surprised it's still kicking. Maybe the closed deck motor has helped it not to explode and such. I'm trying to take care of it now (I have another car I drive more often), plus I really would like to learn to tune and this seems like a good opportunity.

Is the map I've created safe, in your opinion? Looks like it ought to be (though admittedly stupid rich), but I'm obviously quite the beginner.

You're IAM is stuck at 0... it's supposed to be pegged at 16 - which is indicative of an overall awful tune. Get a tune ASAP. At the very least, contact an e-tuner and have them give you a base map for your car so you can drive it.

I'll echo MainFrame with respect to injectors. You'll probably be maxing out the stockers (or getting reallllly close). Note your IDT of ~95 and you're only at 5700RPM. I'd pick up some ID1000 injectors over those DW1300s.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    vf34 on e85 doesn't need more than 750cc injectors.. ID1000s would work out well, anything with higher flow rate than that will just cause you problems. I went through five sets of DW1300s, none of them had four working injectors to a set, and I know several people who had their engines blow due to the non-functional DW1300s.

It's been a while since I've played around with RR, but for one, your injectors aren't scaled right.. probably wise to zero out your WGDC table for the time being. Really, you need a tuner looking at this.. and then you're asking them to do for free what they normally do to pay the bills. I would NOT drive the car until you're sure you have a safe base map on there. If the IAM is anything less than 16, then it is not a safe tune.

vf34 on e85 doesn't need more than 750cc injectors.. ID1000s would work out well, anything with higher flow rate than that will just cause you problems. I went through five sets of DW1300s, none of them had four working injectors to a set, and I know several people who had their engines blow due to the non-functional DW1300s.
    I'll have to see if I can source some ID1000s, then. The guy I got the DW1300s said they were fine on his car running at some 450whp, but I didn't see that myself so you never know. I can't even be sure the ones on there are stock units, so I'll need to change them out soon in any case just for peace of mind.

It's been a while since I've played around with RR, but for one, your injectors aren't scaled right.. probably wise to zero out your WGDC table for the time being. Really, you need a tuner looking at this.. and then you're asking them to do for free what they normally do to pay the bills. I would NOT drive the car until you're sure you have a safe base map on there. If the IAM is anything less than 16, then it is not a safe tune.
    Yeah, that's what I'm shooting for. After I did the log I looked into it a lot more and found out, like you said, IAM of 0 is mucho el bado. The tune has been on here since I got the car about a year ago; I'm actually very amazed now that I've done the log. My engine should be slag at this point. I'm setting boost down to stock levels with WGDC at 0 and a stupid rich 10.5:1 AFR across the board. Injector size and scaling I'm leaving stock. O2's about done, so we'll see what we see there.

Thanks for the input!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.