Cobb OTS map stage 2 sf93 v sf91

This is a discussion on Cobb OTS map stage 2 sf93 v sf91 within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, I hope I don't sound like a tard, I am pretty confused about which map I should be using ...

I Support ClubWRX

Cobb OTS map stage 2 sf93 v sf91

Okay,

I hope I don't sound like a tard,

I am pretty confused about which map I should be using and what kind of gas. I just got off the phone with a guy at COBB Tuning Surgeline.

I phoned because I want to get a pro tune and trying to get one in Vancouver is hopeless. Rockey Rally pays no mind to me while rally season is in full swing. They have a one month backlog and so they don't even answer the phone. LMAO!!!!

The dude at COBB asked questions, like my elevation, my mods, and what kind of gas and what map I am using.

I was using 91 octane (I buy ONLY Chevron) until I went to stage 2 a couple weeks ago. I drove the car with 94 octane to the shop to get modified. I am roughly at sea level and not in the mountains. I am using the SF93 Stage 2 map at the present time.

Now, I am pretty confused about a couple things after this phone conversation. He told me I should be fine with my setup and don't need to come to Portland for a tune. Based on everything I have learned, I think I do. Why would he tell me I don't? He also told me that 94 octane gas (with no ethanol) is no good. He says to flash the SF91 Stage 2 map and use 91 octane gas as ethanol is an octane booster? WTF?!!! Really? I suppose im not a chemist and don't fully understand, but this seems to make no sense to me.

Basically, my car has been stage 2 for two weeks now. It runs fine, fuel mileage is fine, I monitor my logs for knock and boost creeping and I have seen nothing that I should worry about. 0 boost creep. I have seen knock but only when I mash the throttle and it learns it away instantly. I don't know what map I should be running. What does ethanol really do? I know in Canada...at Chevron...the 91 octane gas "may contain up to 10% ethanol" and 94 octane gas "contains no ethanol" as quoted on the gas pumps at every Chevron.

Please help educate my dumbass. I am confused about getting a pro-tune. From what I gathered, I need to do it. So I decided to pick up the phone and schedule a roadtrip (5 hrs from me to Portland) only to be told I don't need to by Cobb. My head is spinning. LMAO!!!!

Any responses would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Blammo
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Gas quality varies based on where you live. But if you have 94 there (jealous!) I would run the 93 map. Here in CA our 91 is barely that.

I have had bad luck with getting etunes from out of state for that very reason. They could have a super tame tune on their 91 but here it would knock like crazy. Running a higher octane helps avoid that.

You may want to get an etune though. Usually they send you a map, you do pulls, email them the logs, they adjust the map. Repeat. Acessport recommended of course. But this will all be cheaper than that drive.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I Support ClubWRX
    Ethanol has more knock resistance than gasoline but requires more "fuel:air" per unit. Use the map they recommended and datalog the car to validate the map will be sufficient.

Sent from my magic banana...
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S