access port or dyno tune? Both?

This is a discussion on access port or dyno tune? Both? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so im new to tuner cars but i want to tune my car after i get a down pipe and ...

access port or dyno tune? Both?

so im new to tuner cars but i want to tune my car after i get a down pipe and i was curious what the best way to do it was. either just get the access port and do it my self or to take it to a professional tuner and have them dyno and tune it? or both? i was told that i could do the access port and that would be fine for a few months but soon after i would want to take it and have it put on the dyno. like i said im still learning and trying to absorb as much info as i can so any opinions would be appreciated. thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You may want to read some of the stickies in the tuning thread further down. In short an access port is around 400 and up you can get use the off the shelf maps or you can get some etunes and load them on the AP. A shop can tune it for you but they may require you to have an AP and then an additional cost of tuning it. You may want to talk to the shop and ask for prices and why you need to do. You can also go open source with a tactix cable and a laptop cheaper then an AP if you already have a laptop.
    What year is your car? Still stock?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    What are your goals for the car? Want just a little more power better throttle response?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

it is a 06 wrx. i just bought it from what i can tell it has a BOV (i know i need to get rid of it) and it has a cobb intake and looks like exhaust (might just be muffler im not sure yet) i think if i do a down pipe and a good tune thats about all i need. its going to be a daily driver but its a very clean nice car and i take care of my things and id also like to have some extra power to play with.

hks muffler (possibly full exhaust) and turbo xs 50/50 BOV

I Support ClubWRX
    get a full recirculating bov. Not sure about compression tests and what not other members have better knowledge. You may have better luck with a cheaper AP since its an 06.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

yeah thats my plan.thanks for the input

I'd always go for a dyno tune. It will be the same cost or cheaper and will give you vastly better results.
    When I was asking my tuner about how much they could improve on my opensource (basically the same as a custom AP tune without a dyno) their response was, "We spent $90k on our AWD dyno... $90k for a measuring tool... if we could do that even close to as well with free software, don't you think we would have?"

My personal experience was going from a custom, non-dyno tune (still better than an off the shelf AP map) to a dyno map was a gain of about 20 whp and much smoother, better feeling power delivery.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your opinion. I'm going to take it to a local cobb tuning shop and see what they say.

With the intake it should have already had an ap map. Get rid of the bov. For the most part, Cobb will have some pretty solid maps loaded onto the ap, you would probably be happy just with that. With the protune/dynotune, it's more customized to your car specifically. If you have the money, I would get the protune, but you'll be fine with just a shelf map(assuming Cobb has a map written specifically for the parts you're putting on)
    In any case, you're gonna love the new power

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry...few weeks old thread!!

I just went Stage 2. I was pretty bone stock and installed a full TBE. I bought an AP and loaded the Stage 2 SF 93 Map on my ECU and I must admit my car is quite different.

I am trying my best to infer the numbers I have on my datalogs. I am now trying to learn what they all mean.

I still feel I should get a pro tune as well. Not sure. I feel my car is running well. Been 3 days. Put on like 800kms and all the numbers seem pretty good.