Running with Leaner E85

This is a discussion on Running with Leaner E85 within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After getting my car running E85, my tuner told me that he deliberately ran a conservative tune due to my ...

Running with Leaner E85

After getting my car running E85, my tuner told me that he deliberately ran a conservative tune due to my area's richer E85 fuel.

He did tell me that with leaner fuel and some timing adjustments, the car could squeeze another 15-20whp.

What I forgot to ask (or cant remember) is if another tune is absolutely necessary to see gains from leaner fuel.

So if I ran on solid E85 fuel instead of E70, would I theoretically see more power (albeit less than with tune)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Have a read through this. Should answer all your questions.

E85 fuel FAQ - NASIOC

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Have a read through this. Should answer all your questions.

E85 fuel FAQ - NASIOC
    I gave that a read and I'm not sure if it fully answers my question. A question similar to this would be: if a car was tuned specifically for 91 octane... would it see extra power if 93 was put in the tank instead?
    Last edited by youra6; 05-04-2014 at 07:54 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by youra6 View Post
    I gave that a read and I'm not sure if it fully answers my question. A question similar to this would be: if a car was tuned specifically for 91 octane... would it see extra power if 93 was put in the tank instead?
    The answer to that question is no. Higher octane fuel can handle a more aggressive tune without knocking. So the extra power is from the tune not the fuel. But obviously you can't have the tune without the fuel. You can run higher octane on a tune designed for lower octane, but should not run lower octane fuels on higher octane tunes.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 05-04-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    You can run higher octane on a tune deigned for Lower octane, but should not run lower octane fuels on higher octane tunes.
    I assume that is why he tuned it so conservatively. The fuel in the car was probably diluted with more pump gas, so he had to tune it accordingly.

Any other input is appreciated!