stage 1 OTS/etune: Consensus on torqued performance tunes
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on stage 1 OTS/etune: Consensus on torqued performance tunes within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, much like everything else related to wrxs, I'm getting conflicting information all over the place. After doing lots of ...

stage 1 OTS/etune: Consensus on torqued performance tunes

So, much like everything else related to wrxs, I'm getting conflicting information all over the place. After doing lots of research and hearing about how safe the TP tune is, I decided to get a tactrix cable and download the torquedperformance stage 1. However, after mentioning in the chat room I was doing so, I had numerous people telling me to stay away from TP and to go with an etune from a reputable tuner.

So after doing some more research and asking advice, I decided to message WTF tuning only to find out he's not etuning anymore. I've been told again and again to just get it protuned by places around here, but everybody only works with cobb accessports and charge ~$500 for the tune. I'm not sure about you guys, but $1,000 dollars is a lot to spend for a simple stage 1 tune in my book, even though I'm sure the protune would be awesome vs. an e-tune.

So, long story short...I'm thinking about going back to TP since I can't seem to find anybody else to tune. How's everyone's experience been with TP? Are the people I talked to right in that a TP map is dangerous?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

What people are saying is that they have a history of installation of tunes that are very radical and possibly shorten engine life.

Tell them you want a conservative tune.
    If they refuse, go elsewhere.

Reputations can be made and changed with one loudmouthed customer... no way I can state factually if TP is safe.

Well I have a TP Stage 2 and it pulls very hard...so far so good!

Eric at TP will also answer any questions you might have and do free revisions on the tune so you're not just getting the base tune and calling it a day. He will tweak it for you until it's right.

The best thing to do is get a Protune...but not everyone has a good reputable shop in their backyard either...
    2013 SWP WRX Limited Sedan - SOLD

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 - White

I went TP stage 1 at 1500 miles, TP stage 2 at 6000 miles. Now at 51000 miles no issues on a 2011 WRX. Eric knows his business.

Quote Originally Posted by blknylw View Post
    Well I have a TP Stage 2 and it pulls very hard...so far so good!

Eric at TP will also answer any questions you might have and do free revisions on the tune so you're not just getting the base tune and calling it a day. He will tweak it for you until it's right.

The best thing to do is get a Protune...but not everyone has a good reputable shop in their backyard either...
    I actually have quite a few very reputable shops around me in Chicago, but its become so ridiculously expensive that I just can't afford it. Just can't justify $1k for stage 1, especially when you can get 80% as good of a tune for 20% of the cost w/ Tactrix and an etune. Good spread if you ask me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Looks like he requires wideband.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbezln View Post
    Looks like he requires wideband.
    To get a great e-tune you should have a wideband o2 sensor installed regardless of who you are using. It would be a wise investment.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    To get a great e-tune you should have a wideband o2 sensor installed regardless of who you are using. It would be a wise investment.
    If I'm going to have to weld something into my stock DP, i'll just spend the few hundred bucks to get a 2 bung DP from invidia and go straight to stage 2. Not worth the extra effort just for stage 1, IMO

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbezln View Post
    If I'm going to have to weld something into my stock DP, i'll just spend the few hundred bucks to get a 2 bung DP from invidia and go straight to stage 2. Not worth the extra effort just for stage 1, IMO
    Fair enough. I did it and it cost me about $10 (with the help of a buddy that can weld - $5ish dollars for parts and $5ish dollars for a 6 pack). But I agree it is easier to have the 2 bung pre-welded DP. Either way, I was just offering some advice. The A/F ratio can only be accurately measured with a WBo2 sensor. Do what you want with that advice.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.