Went Stage 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Went Stage 2 within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Went to Cobb SoCal last Friday for my tune. I work nights, so I headed out right after work, thinking ...

Went Stage 2

Went to Cobb SoCal last Friday for my tune. I work nights, so I headed out right after work, thinking that I could catch a bit of sleep while they were installing all my parts. Wouldn't you know though, I couldn't sleep at all!

It took them a few hours to install the DP and Intake. They have a "dyno cam" in the waiting room, so I got to watch as they pulled my car onto the dyno and strapped it down. I was tired, but excited to watch it happen. Before the first run, it looked like to me that one of the straps on the front wasn't tight, but I figured they were professionals. As he started the first run the car suddenly pulled to the right. I nearly **** my pants! Turns out I was right, and it wasn't strapped down tight enough. No worries though, the car was fine and I watched him strap it down properly.

Watching the tune was pretty cool. I could see the graph and gauges in real time. It was especially awesome watching my car making more and more power.

In the end it made 292 awhp and 330 ft-lbs, which is more than I expected. To show the difference between a pro tune and OTS tune, he flashed the OTS stage 2 map and did a pull. Car developed 267 awhp and 305 ft-lbs.

The best part is how much smoother the car feels. The power delivery is much better, without all the dips I could feel before. Plus the intake noise is fun. So far my mileage has suffered quite a bit, but that probably has more to do with my foot than anything else.

I'm having a few issues with my AP. For some reason I can only get it to display one metric, A/F learning. No matter how many gauges I tell it to display, it just shows A/F learning... It's probably me though, I need to play with it more when I have some free time.

Overall, I'm very pleased with everything. I've already taken it on Mulholland Drive and a mountain road to Palm Springs. Can't get the smile off my face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dyno.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice numbers man! That is a big difference between the protune and OTS. Bet you wish you did it sooner!
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

man i may have to say hell with the warranty and go stage two also lol. any other mods besides the dp and intake?

You know, I'm actually happy I waited. I got to really appreciate my car stock and get used to it. Then going stage 2 was like getting a whole new car!

My car came with the Subaru STS and I went ahead and got a Cobb shift knob, which I can't say enough good things about. It just feels better in my hand. I know the intake doesn't do anything power wise, but I like to hear the noise. Call me a child....

Today as I was driving I got a small branch stuck under the car where I can't reach it. It's resting right against my DP. Should I be worried about it getting hot enough to catch fire?

Don, those are great numbers.

I've been on stage 1 with an intake and cat back for almost 2 weeks. The intake noise is awesome. I also got a Cobb shift knob which has improved shifting.

About the mtn road to Palm Springs, are you talking about the 74 or the 111?

I would get that branch away from the exhaust ASAP.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

Thanks. I'm very pleased with the tune, and happy that I got more power than expected. Once I figure out what's up with my AP, I'll do a couple of logs.

I take 243 from Banning to Idyllwild then 74 into Palm Desert. It's a damn fun drive!

I'll see if I can get the branch when I leave work in the am. It's right in the middle of the car and wedged in there pretty well, I may have to get creative.

292 WHP on a mustang dyno seems very high. What were your baseline numbers?

Sorry, we didn't hit the dyno until after all my parts were installed. I would have asked for a baseline run, but they were busy.

There was a lambo before me that was in the 390's.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Nice numbers man! I just got tuned a couple weeks ago and I'm getting about 50 smiles per gallon now lol
    Check out my projects:
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Sworn To Remember

Quote Originally Posted by Mammal View Post
    Nice numbers man! I just got tuned a couple weeks ago and I'm getting about 50 smiles per gallon now lol
    You don't blame me for calling BS do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mammal View Post
    Thanks dude! I'm probably getting the same, at least when I'm in the boost!

Don't suppose anyone has the time to look at my log. I just want to make sure I'm logging what I need to be logging and that everything is fine. I'm not exactly sure what I need to be looking for, so if anyone can point me to some good resources to educate myself more about all these parameters, that would be cool too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxU...it?usp=sharing

Thanks!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You have a bit of learned knock in the upper load range. I would reset your ECU, drive around a bit for your fuel trims to settle, and do another pull.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thanks for looking.

To reset ECU, do I pull the negative cable off my battery? Or do you mean re-flash the map?

Also, should I worry about some of these knock values? Noticed then after passing someone in 5th gear today.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quioxte View Post
    Thanks for looking.

To reset ECU, do I pull the negative cable off my battery? Or do you mean re-flash the map?

Also, should I worry about some of these knock values? Noticed then after passing someone in 5th gear today.

Thanks!

It doesn't do much good dataloging while you are cruising around, or to monitor knock. Knock can be mistaken for other noises in the engine bay when changing gears, WOT, and so on. A 3rd gear pull is where you'll see the numbers you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast