DAM 0 After Attempting 3rd Gear WOT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on DAM 0 After Attempting 3rd Gear WOT within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I attempted to do a 3rd gear WOT pull from 2500 RPM, but ran out of road. I tried to ...

DAM 0 After Attempting 3rd Gear WOT

I attempted to do a 3rd gear WOT pull from 2500 RPM, but ran out of road. I tried to do another, but saw that my DAM dropped to 0 so I immediately became concerned and decided to just drive home and check the datalog:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1997679701

Notes about the car:
    -2013 WRX with 12500 miles. It has a Stage I ACN91 (Live in Las Vegas where the whether has been around 85 degrees).
    -No engine mods besides a Turbo Blanket, Group N Engine Mounts, Kartboy Pitch Stop Mount, and Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust.
    -The ECU was reset a few days ago because I had to drain the power to install an aftermarket DAMD steering wheel.
    -No CEL was thrown.
    -I drove it around for a bit and did not notice any change in behavior or other unusual noises.
    -Car's logs were clean during the Winter. Not sure if the warm / hot windy weather has anything to do with the recent knock I've been getting at low load / RPM during cruising. Knock only happened when I mashed on the throttle, but would immediately ramp back down to 0 above 3000-3500 RPM.

I'm a novice when it comes to this. All I know is that DAM dropping to 0 is very bad. Is there anyone with expertise willing to decipher the logs and explain how severe it is? Maybe shed some light as I've no clue what else to think about this.

This is my DD so I was wondering if it's safe for me to drive this car commuting on the freeway and will the DAM eventually go back to 1? I'm hoping it's just a bad tank of gas. The highest octane we can get here is 100. Everywhere else is 91 here in Vegas.

I posted this on NASIOC too, but wanted to get more insight from more than one forum.

Thanks for any insight or feedback.
    Last edited by 13WREX; 04-24-2014 at 01:57 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Fix your link URL

Sorry, should be fixed now.

Did another log cruising back home (don't want to do a 3rd gear WOT pull yet):

I shortened the log and highlighted the areas for concern; mainly the Knock Correction.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Notes:
    -All instances of knock detected are -1.4 and immediately corrects itself to 0 and only under very low load / RPM.
    -AFR is within -/+5%.
    -Coolant, and Intake temps look within normal values.
    -Car is driving fine and didn't struggle at all driving uphill. No unusual noises, no oil consumption, or smoke coming from exhaust or engine.

Unfortunately, DAM has not changed from 0 yet. Maybe I need to drive it for a whole week on this fresh tank of gas before it sees any change. And it might take longer if I baby it through this tank of gas. I'm going to refrain from resetting the ECU and let the car keep learning.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would try topping off the tank with 100 octane and see what happens. If DAM changes then you know it was probably the gasoline. Maybe some put the wrong octane in at the pump tank.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a little confused about the first log you posted. You said you did a 3rd Gear WOT pull correct? I only see a max throttle position of 45.1% and a max boost pressure of 8.12psi...

I Support ClubWRX
    The low RPM knock is normal, I regularly had it with the Cobb maps. If you start watching it closely it will drive you crazy...well it did that to me anyways. When you start seeing knock over 2.5 is when I would worry though others will say over 4. I get tip-in knock with my protune I have now becuase apparently Shell gas isn't what it used to be. One tank will be fine and I'll have little to know knock and then I get a tank like I have today where I'm hitting -2.4 FKLN again. It's frustrating but you just can't let it consume you is all I'm saying. Just monitor the knock and if it starts getting above 2.5 then I'd start worrying.

As far as the DAM, that definitely is not normal and it's something I've never experienced. I'm definitely with Donkey that you should try and find some high octane and throw in the tank and see if that helps. If that fixes it I'd stay away from wherever you got the bad gas from. Definitely post up some more logs when you see stuff/feel comfortable doing another pull and we'll try and help out as best we can!

Quote Originally Posted by WRX309 View Post
    I'm a little confused about the first log you posted. You said you did a 3rd Gear WOT pull correct? I only see a max throttle position of 45.1% and a max boost pressure of 8.12psi...
    In the middle of the run I saw the DAM start dropping so I lifted off the throttle. I hesitated to do another after seeing the DAM at 0. I also ran out of road.

@WRX309. I'm hoping that's what it is. We don't get good gas here in Las Vegas. We have 100 at a select few stations. I'll have to empty this fresh tank first and try the 100 octane.

I've tried Chevron and Shell (91) and I don't see a difference in it alleviating the knock I was getting. What I don't get is knock is more active during late in the day than early in the morning. When I commute to work I rarely see knock, but when driving back home the knock sensor goes crazy.

I Support ClubWRX
    But still even if you were full throttle and then lifted off during the pull, nowhere in Column O is it displaying that you were at full throttle. Have you tried re-flashing the map? The AP's readings don't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackUSAF82 View Post
    The low RPM knock is normal, I regularly had it with the Cobb maps. If you start watching it closely it will drive you crazy...well it did that to me anyways. When you start seeing knock over 2.5 is when I would worry though others will say over 4. I get tip-in knock with my protune I have now becuase apparently Shell gas isn't what it used to be. One tank will be fine and I'll have little to know knock and then I get a tank like I have today where I'm hitting -2.4 FKLN again. It's frustrating but you just can't let it consume you is all I'm saying. Just monitor the knock and if it starts getting above 2.5 then I'd start worrying.

As far as the DAM, that definitely is not normal and it's something I've never experienced. I'm definitely with Donkey that you should try and find some high octane and throw in the tank and see if that helps. If that fixes it I'd stay away from wherever you got the bad gas from. Definitely post up some more logs when you see stuff/feel comfortable doing another pull and we'll try and help out as best we can!
    Thanks Zack, it's reassuring that forums and communities like this exist for people like me not knowing what's going on with their car.

Before all this happened when my DAM was at 1 I would see some Knock Correction here and there, mainly at low loads, but sometimes seeing -5 and at one point -7, with Fine Knock Learning always at 0. When I did a 3rd gear pull a month back the logs were all clean.

I haven't done any work to the engine as it is completely stock besides engine mounts and turbo blanket.

The only thing I can think of that started all this knocking was when I installed sway bars, endlinks, steering rack bushings, and got an alignment. Since then the car's been driving kinda sloppy with loose steering and what feels like loose suspension, and that's a whole other can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX309 View Post
    But still even if you were full throttle and then lifted off during the pull, nowhere in Column O is it displaying that you were at full throttle. Have you tried re-flashing the map? The AP's readings don't add up.
    I'll see if reflashing the map corrects the knocking and DAM issue. I was tempted to reset the ECU to see the DAM at 1 again, but I think I'll just reflash instead. Is there such thing as a bad flash of the ECU? I know I have the right map as it says Stage I ACN91.

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem man, in my Cobb map days the highest knock I'd see was like -3.45 once in a while but that was when I was dumb and running Costco gas. I rarely see FBKC but I always had FKLN with my Cobb map, drove me crazy to the point of going from the 93 map down to the 91 ACN that you're running but it never fixed the issue. Eventually I just learned to live with it and move on.

I just wish I knew how to better diagnose your DAM issue but I just don't have any experience with it unfortunately. Definitely try reflashing, it can't hurt but just know that the car can sometimes be a bear to start after a map switch so I would do it at home...I damn near got stuck in a parking lot once after flashing a new map on, that wasn't fun at all, one of those heart-sinking moments but it finally fired up. Let us know what happens after the reflash, fingers crossed!

I notice in my second set of logs Wastegate Duty is all 0. I was told that if your DAM is at 0 then WGDC is disabled.

I also read that you'll rarely see any knock correction or learning if your DAM is at 0, because there's nothing to retard timing, yet I am getting -1.4 pulled at low loads / RPM or bumps in the road triggering it, so why would the ECU pull timing at all then?

Sorry I am a complete noob at this.

I Support ClubWRX
    13WREX, any update on the issue? Did you re-flash the map?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast