Stage 2 power levels lower than Stage 1, Ugh
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stage 2 power levels lower than Stage 1, Ugh within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The car: 2011 WRX with 63k miles. The mods: Catless DP, Turbo blanket, Cobb SF air intake with box, wrapped ...

Stage 2 power levels lower than Stage 1, Ugh

The car: 2011 WRX with 63k miles.
    The mods: Catless DP, Turbo blanket, Cobb SF air intake with box, wrapped DP
    The tune: TP stage 1/2.
    The dyno: Virtual dyno with a custom correction factor. (The one the stock ones use? .98)

I am really getting frustrated. I have included a dyno sheet with 6 pulls. The 2 at the bottom, datalog 4 and 7, are the final revisions of stage 1. The rest of the logs are different revisions of stage 2, with the one on top, datalog 23, being yesterdays pull.
    It was a little cooler with the stage 1 pulls, but only like 15 degrees F. On the dyno jet setting, the current revision is down 20 hp than the previous revision. The log with the highest reading was producing knock, so he changed that. Can anyone give me some insight? Why is my stage 2 as weak as my stage 1?
    Thanks in advance!

datalog16.pdfdatalog7.pdfdatalog24.pdfdatalog23.pdfdatalog25.pdf

Here are the logs. Datalog 7 is stage 1 final revision, datalog 16 is my most powerful stage 2 revision, and 23,24,24 are all current revisions.
    Last edited by 386WRX; 04-24-2014 at 03:03 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Post up your logs. We need more information.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Alright, I'm grabbing 2 more as we speak. I'll post up when home. Thanks

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Did you ask TP this? You are doing these logs in the exact same place in the exact same direction with no wind?

The boost is hitting higher, so they pulled timing and/or added fuel I think it is safe to assume. Pretty much the only options are that the stage I tune would be knocking now because something changed or the turbo somehow got out of its efficiency range which it shouldn't be at that psi at all. I'd start with a boost leak tester and make sure the intake prior to the turbo is fully sealed and that there is no boost leak.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Ya I'm reading on how to build a leak tester, just wish a shop around me could test for leaks for me.

I asked TP but we are still working on the tune, however each revision is getting weaker, he is trying to get rid of my knock. He said not to put to much stock in the dyno, but all my stage 1 logs are at the same hp/ tq, so it's not inflated.
    Every log is on the same road, at the same time (on my way to the gym at noon) . I check for cops then stop at the light each time, so heat soak, if any, should be about even on all logs. Same direction, Windows down.
    I posted in the troubleshooting section, but coming out of my drivers side engine bay is a sewing machine sound, like a lifter or injector. .started when I put rotella t6 in there and after I went stage 2. Before rotella t6, the dealer put Castrol gtx bulk oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Ya I'm reading on how to build a leak tester, just wish a shop around me could test for leaks for me.

I asked TP but we are still working on the tune, however each revision is getting weaker, he is trying to get rid of my knock. He said not to put to much stock in the dyno, but all my stage 1 logs are at the same hp/ tq, so it's not inflated.
    Every log is on the same road, at the same time (on my way to the gym at noon) . I check for cops then stop at the light each time, so heat soak, if any, should be about even on all logs. Same direction, Windows down.
    I posted in the troubleshooting section, but coming out of my drivers side engine bay is a sewing machine sound, like a lifter or injector. .started when I put rotella t6 in there and after I went stage 2. Before rotella t6, the dealer put Castrol gtx bulk oil.

Heat soak is not what you want, at all, and it isn't consistent on a day that is 15 degrees hotter. You need to do all of your logs in clean air after heat soak has dissipated.

Original post updated with logs.

And sorry, i may have stated that wrong. What i mean was, any radiant heat produced from the DP and turbo onto the IC and anything else would be the same. Before each run, id sit at a light for about a minute. No heat soak.

I Support ClubWRX
    What is Eric telling you?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What is Eric telling you?
    He said that the stage 1 graphs are inflated. The increased temps in my area (up 10-15 degrees from stage 1 logs) don't help either . He said not to put much thought into the dyno, but I cant help but notice lack of power. At this point I may as well take off the DP and stay stage 1. Was planning on getting a pwest and ebcs, but not spending another 1200 to gain no power.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Original post updated with logs.

And sorry, i may have stated that wrong. What i mean was, any radiant heat produced from the DP and turbo onto the IC and anything else would be the same. Before each run, id sit at a light for about a minute. No heat soak.
    Maybe you still aren't explaining it correctly. You can not do consistent power logs from sitting at a light. You have to drive for a few minutes before logging. I agree with Eric your logs are meaningless for power and they are probably messing him up when tuning too.

How does the car feel? Does it feel different than stage 1?

Sent from the beer depository.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.