protune vs opensource $$ - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on protune vs opensource $$ within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I go to IAG in maryland for tuning, and you MUST have an AP in order to get a tune ...

I go to IAG in maryland for tuning, and you MUST have an AP in order to get a tune from them since their tuner uses cobbs software or whatever to tune with. Many shops these days are going to this method.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    I go to IAG in maryland for tuning, and you MUST have an AP in order to get a tune from them since their tuner uses cobbs software or whatever to tune with. Many shops these days are going to this method.
    Jorge no longer tunes OS at all? I guess that leaves Jermaine at TXS the last one in the area that tunes OS. Hill (Agile) and Phil (Element) only do AP and Hydra respectively.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vweater1369 View Post
    Is the whole "intellectual property" thing that much of a problem? Or is this just a push towards profits and locking the business down A-La A.P.R. style?
    It is. Tuners are in constant competition for a very limited customer base but often also on the Racetrack. Tuners don't want a competitive tuner picking up trade secrets or distributing the maps outside of a paying customer base. I myself have a number of maps in my arsenal from a variety of tuners for personal research. Furthermore, locking the map disallows the customer from altering the tune, preventing potential liability claims.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Both methods can protect "intellectual property". Opensource requires some more computer savvy but essentially the ROMs get moddified so they can be flashed but not read unless you have a special definition. XPT does this. E-tuning/remote tuning is also an option for both methods as well.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Jorge no longer tunes OS at all? I guess that leaves Jermaine at TXS the last one in the area that tunes OS. Hill (Agile) and Phil (Element) only do AP and Hydra respectively.
    Yup, Jorge only deals with AP tuning now. No more OS. Heres the link to their tuning page.
    IAG Performance AccessPORT Pro Tuning Services for Maryland, PA, DE, VA Subaru WRX, STI, Forester XT, Legacy GT, Spec B, Turbo. Protuning, Access Tuner, AP tuning, COBB Tuning, MD, Baltimore, Owings Mills, Towson, Glen Burnie, Cockeysville, Columbia,
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Hill at agile is a good dude too. I have a few friends that are tuned by him. But many people recommended Jorge over Hill. Everytime i go to IAG the experience is awesome. Great customer service there.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.