My first log, Knock correction hits 7?

This is a discussion on My first log, Knock correction hits 7? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So If I am correct the knock correction is bad. It won't let me upload a .csv file. Here is ...

Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, United States

My first log, Knock correction hits 7?

So If I am correct the knock correction is bad. It won't let me upload a .csv file. Here is the dropbox link for it. I grabbed a smaller one. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...40/log0004.csv My car feels great though, so I don't know what to take from it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KingAroan View Post
    So If I am correct the knock correction is bad. It won't let me upload a .csv file. Here is the dropbox link for it. I grabbed a smaller one. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...40/log0004.csv My car feels great though, so I don't know what to take from it.
    I'm having a really hard time seeing what is going on with that as there seem to be funny values like the headings got shifted or messed up. Did you delete stuff and get them misaligned? The most important one to look at first is the IAM which should be 0-16 or 0-1 depending on the year, but that column was showing a static 159 or so.

Now that you have a taste for this, you should read the sticky and pick up some of the basics. You are logging a bunch of completely unnecessary stuff like brake booster pressure etc. and that slows how often you get a data point for the important stuff. There is information on what to choose in the sticky or there is a video by Cobb etc.

Was this just a cold start or idling and you blipped the throttle a few times with no load? If so I'd not get too worked up about the apparent knock off of that. The bad knock occurs especially at high load and higher RPM. What you need to do first is read the IAM - you don't have to drive anywhere. If that looks OK (tell us what it is) then for your next log you need to do a full load full pull from 2K RPM all the way to redline with the throttle completely mashed the whole time (you don't have to hit the rev limiter but get it up there pretty close). Second gear will work and will keep the speed fairly reasonable but make sure you do it somewhere safe. Make sure you are logging the right stuff or this will be a waste of time. You can post your list here if you want input.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, United States
    What do you suggest logging then? I can't find anything about the waste gate or boost for turbo on the list, but the sticky references it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Do check the IAM before doing a log as I suggested - it should be at the maximum value for your year.

So you are using an accesport? What year car etc. and mods?

Yeah Cobb uses different terms. Note - relative pressure not absolute

This would be a good place to start. If it looks like it is knocking there are other things we can check:

Engine Speed
    Boost (Manifold Relative Pressure)
    Ignition timing
    Feedback Knock Correction
    Wastegate Duty Cycle
    Throttle Position
    Calculated Load
    MAF Volts

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have a data logging question. When the engine knock columns show 0 or - negative numbers, does this mean there is no knock?
    I'm new to data logging.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    I have a data logging question. When the engine knock columns show 0 or - negative numbers, does this mean there is no knock?
    I'm new to data logging.
    I'm not sure how but this didn't stay bold in my subscriptions.

Negative numbers are from knock. Feedback Knock Correction is always 0 (no knock) or negative. Fine Learning Knock Correction can go negative or positive and is a fine adjustment to coarse changes by the top level IAM (advance multiplier). As such Fine Learning should not go positive unless it is adding fine timing advance back after a coarse change to the IAM.

When looking at a log, this is the priority:

Is IAM (DAM) at max. - if not there has been significant knock historically or occurring in that run.
    Is Feedback 0 - negative shows knock in that run, a little might be tolerable if IAM is staying at max.
    Is Fine Learning 0 - otherwise there has been knock historically or occurring in that run. I'd prefer to see 0 with good gas personally.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the reply, I'm new at data logging. I'm loving the fact I can ask my tuner about logs then compare notes with you guys. It's real helpful for a log newb. I have had my map corrected once due to slight over boost. But it seems good now.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX

Knock when turning

So I have seen somebody start a thread before...but I am observing Feedback Knock from my V3 when I turn left or right. Just about every red light I wait at...and then turn left or right 75% or more...I get feedback knock of -1.4 and even as high as -2.81. This is pretty bizarre. Is there something wrong with my steering to make it do that. I observed my logger reading the knock a couple times today by way of staring at the logger and not the road. I know...dangerous..but calculated and done in the right places. lol

anyone else experience this?? can my steering noise really be picked up by the knock sensor. My DAM is still 1.0 and never goes down. I am using an Stage 2 SF93 LWG map if it makes any difference.
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    So I have seen somebody start a thread before...but I am observing Feedback Knock from my V3 when I turn left or right. Just about every red light I wait at...and then turn left or right 75% or more...I get feedback knock of -1.4 and even as high as -2.81. This is pretty bizarre. Is there something wrong with my steering to make it do that. I observed my logger reading the knock a couple times today by way of staring at the logger and not the road. I know...dangerous..but calculated and done in the right places. lol

anyone else experience this?? can my steering noise really be picked up by the knock sensor. My DAM is still 1.0 and never goes down. I am using an Stage 2 SF93 LWG map if it makes any difference.

Hey,
    Have you looked into e tuning? It's an option my tuner offers if you live far away. I'm still monitoring logs, my tuner also said it can go to -1.4 feed back because of hot humid weather. E tuning is definitely an upgrade to OTS maps. Plus it's not that expensive, I paid $495 for a full Dynotune. I also send in data logs for tweaking if necessary. I'm going to try a new gas station this weekend and run some more logs. I'm also going to get some 107 octane just for something different and see how it goes.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium