Scheduled my Protune!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Scheduled my Protune! within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been wanting to go Stage 1 for a long time now and finally got around to making an appointment. ...

Scheduled my Protune!

I've been wanting to go Stage 1 for a long time now and finally got around to making an appointment. I'm in SoCal for the next few months for work, so I figured that I'd go to Cobb and have it done. I've been emailing Ronnie back and forth and got a slot at the end of next month. I'm buying the Stage 1 package (AP v3 and Intake) and having them Dyno tune it, mostly for my peace of mind. They're dropping the price of the tune since I'm buying the AP from them. I know I don't need an intake, but I like the sound, so I decided I had to have it. I'll probably wait to get an exhaust until I decide to go Stage 2. Next mods will be sways/endlinks, as soon as I have the money.

I'm pretty stoked right now and can't wait for the next month to pass!

A few questions:

-How often to I need to Datalog after I get the tune?
    -Is there anything special I need to do before my tune? Fresh oil, etc?
    -Anything I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    They'll tell you what you need to do to the car before you bring it in. One thing to keep in mind is that you will want to get it tuned on the gas you will be using rather than the local gas. If you are thinking about going stage 2 in the not too far future, you might want to just go for it before you get the protune. I would probably do some datalogging occasionally, but the benefit of a protune is that they design if specifically for your car, so it should run great assuming they do a good job (which they should). I would probably do real time monitoring of knock on a fairly regular basis (I typically do after every time I fill up just to make sure I didn't get "bad gas."). Good luck and enjoy

You actually bring up a good point about gas. Since I'm always moving around for work, my gas is always changing. I try to stick with tier 1 (does that even matter?)... When I go somewhere with 93 octane, I'm assuming that it's not going to effect my tune, is it?

As for stage 2, you bring up another really good point. If I just buy a downpipe, I'm ready to go, right? Looking at the Cobb site, they're charging almost $600 for a downpipe, plus I'd have to have them install it as well. (No garage, no tools because I'm traveling. Plus I'm 2 hours away from Cobb) Is there a cheaper but quality option? I've budgeted for a stage 1 tune and already went over a little for the intake, but figured if I wanted it, it made sense to tune for it.

Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Vendors on here could hook you up with a good deal on a downpipe (WTF Tuning is a good one). And yes, since you are getting protuned, all you would need above what you are planning would be the downpipe itself. You should be ok going around with different types of gas, but would always want to use at least a similar octane to what you are tuned on. And like I said before, keep an eye on the data (especially when switching types of gas from various regions).

Thanks for the info, I'll PM some vendors.

In your opinion, what downpipes should I be looking at?

And it should be catted, yes?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. I have a ton to learn.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would go catted unless you are in an area that has no emissions testing, and don't mind the smell of catless. There are alot of good brands...but it really boils down to preference of brands or how much money you want to spend...there is not much to a downpipe. Cobb, Perrin, Turboxs, Invidia, Nameless are just a few quality names I will toss out there. Any would do you good. If you are thinking about doing a catback at any point, might as well stick with the same brand for guaranteed good fitment. One thing I like about my TurboXS downpipe is the catted section can be removed and just put in a catless section should I ever decide to go that route...Probably won't though!

Is there any danger in purchasing a used catted DP?

And I hadn't even considered emissions, will a stage 2 tune ruin my emissions? My car isn't registered in CA, technically it's a MO car, but you never know when I could have to move!

Thanks for answering all my questions, I really appreciate it.

I Support ClubWRX
    A lot of people buy used downpipes. They will last a pretty long time, so if you find a good deal on a lower mileage one then it is a good way to save some money. Unless you get the "sniff" test in your state then a high flow downpipe typically will pass. You can typically find shops that will pass you if you look around, even if they know you modded the exhaust. Hey no problem at all...Happy to help!

Awesome, I'm going to the "for sale" section now to look around.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.