Is it safe?. . .

This is a discussion on Is it safe?. . . within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been open source tuned by my local motorsport shop. And while i know we dont buy these cars ...

Is it safe?. . .

I have been open source tuned by my local motorsport shop. And while i know we dont buy these cars to be fuel efficient there still has to be some sort of line. I drive my rex as a cruise around town car. Its not my daily at all, but, when i start my new job it will be. As my current company will take there car back. Anyway i keep shifts below 3000 and long story short my gas is dropping fast. I get maybe 120-130 miles before im at half a tank, 1: is that normal , 2: if i flash the cobb economy map to the car, will it be a source for issues? All my mods are listed in my signature. So if anyone could give me some insight whether its safe or not for what i have please let me know.
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. ProcessWest tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Invidia catted DP. Tsudo CBE. GT spec up-pipe. Tial mv-s ewg. Grimmspeed ebcs. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. STI ssk. ACT stage 2 clutch/pressure plate. StopTech/ Wilwood sport brake system ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How about taking some data logs? Datalogging with Romraider:

edit: whoops.. I thought the "is it safe" referred to the current tune, not to flashing the economy map. I re-read and see Calvinball's comment..
    Last edited by Obeisance; 03-12-2014 at 07:45 AM.
    David - '05 WRX

You can't flash the economy map with your mods.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Have you done the math to see about what kinda of mpg you're getting?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Have you done the math to see about what kinda of mpg you're getting?
    yea and it just doesn't make sense. Today was on the better end i drove 135 miles before i reached half a tank. but when doing the math versus what the AP tells me is completely different. doing the math i get 16.3 mpgs versus the AP's 17.4. the only true way to find out is to continue driving how i am and drain the gas down to the lowest and safest possible level and redo the figures. I mean from what ive been reading on other peoples experiences you can get about 285 miles of mixed driving before the fuel light comes on. but that would mean smooth sub-3000 rpm shifting.
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. ProcessWest tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Invidia catted DP. Tsudo CBE. GT spec up-pipe. Tial mv-s ewg. Grimmspeed ebcs. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. STI ssk. ACT stage 2 clutch/pressure plate. StopTech/ Wilwood sport brake system ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r.

Why would you drain your tank to calculate mpg? Just fill your tank, zero out your trip meter. Drive normally, and next time you fill up your tank divide how many miles you drove by how much fuel used to fill your tank again.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Why would you drain your tank to calculate mpg? Just fill your tank, zero out your trip meter. Drive normally, and next time you fill up your tank divide how many miles you drove by how much fuel used to fill your tank again.
    This.

You can't rely on the fuel gauge to represent actual fuel in the tank. Fill up the tank, zero out the trip meter, then calculate how much fuel goes back in to fill the tank.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    In answer to your #1 question, that could be normal. Note I said COULD be. Doesn't mean it is. There are members on here that get 17-19 MPG combined. I have seen 15-18 mpg around town and I get much more than that on the highway (I average 22-23 mpg per tank), but I do mainly combined driving. Do what the above two responses say to get a true reading.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It all depends on how you use your right foot. I've gone over 400 miles on a tank of gas plenty of times in my WRX.. and I've also ran it dry in less than 280 miles, just a matter of how hard you want to press the pedal.

Ok so i have done what a coupke of the members have suggested. I filled up at half a tank and it took 8.2 gallons. At that point i drove 132.1 miles all city. After the math i got 16.1 mpg's. I did it again and filled up from quarter tank and got 10.5 gallons with 187 miles driven. Again all city, this time i got 17.8 mpg's. So ima just take the average of both and thats pretty much what i get is 16.95 mpg's. On the highway there is never an issue i guess its just ****ty city driving.