LOTS OF SOOT ON TAIL PIPES

This is a discussion on LOTS OF SOOT ON TAIL PIPES within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering if large amounts of soot on my tail pipes was normal after subaru put on stp cat ...

LOTS OF SOOT ON TAIL PIPES

I was wondering if large amounts of soot on my tail pipes was normal after subaru put on stp cat back on. Or is this the stock ecu correcting for the spt catback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's probably because its a new exhaust and not broken in yet. But my spt exhaust is always dirty haha.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru2014 View Post
    I was wondering if large amounts of soot on my tail pipes was normal after subaru put on stp cat back on. Or is this the stock ecu correcting for the spt catback.
    The ECU is not correcting for anything. Subaru's run rich in openloop. It would happen to any exhaust.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The ECU is not correcting for anything. Subaru's run rich in openloop. It would happen to any exhaust.
    Is this corrected in any way by a hand held tuner? I was thinking this is a rich condition probably won't hurt anything but might foul a plug if it was any richer.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is this corrected in any way by a hand held tuner? I was thinking this is a rich condition probably won't hurt anything but might foul a plug if it was any richer.
    Most ECU retuning will lean the openloop fueling a little but you still still get some soot on the tailpipe. It's completely normal for Subarus,turbo or not.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I bought a used SPT catback and the tailpipes were black when I got it. I've had it on for about 3 months now and although I clean it every so often, I've never seen any signs it was going to get black again. So, I'm assuming the previous owner's car was running rich. I'm running a Cobb stage 1 map, but I have no idea if that should make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I bought a used SPT catback and the tailpipes were black when I got it. I've had it on for about 3 months now and although I clean it every so often, I've never seen any signs it was going to get black again. So, I'm assuming the previous owner's car was running rich. I'm running a Cobb stage 1 map, but I have no idea if that should make any difference.

On a scale of 1 to 10 ten being blackest yours are a 2 next to my 11s ,no kidding .how do you like the stage one tune I think thats all i will do for a while on my 2014 wrx I have spt cat back too and just ordered the cobb v3 with center mount unit directly from cobb , I seen these numbers here on cobbs site (01-11-2012 01:50 pm 277 hp 304 ft/lb stage 1+SF 93 MT v310) and these for stock same vehicle (01-11-2012 01:00 pm 260 hp 264 ft/lb Baseline Pull - 1) I think if it near that I should love stage one ,do you know your numbers?

On a scale of 1 to 10 ten being blackest yours are a 2 next to my 11s ,no kidding .
    Seriously? Damn. It took me several hours with wire wool and polish to clean these up so that they were both looking like the one on the right. I don't know my numbers, but I'd be skeptical about any gains in power with the Cobb map. However, I'm running 91 octane, and just for good measure, it's also the diluted "ACN" (Arizona, California, Nevada) blend. If you're able to get 93 octane, your results may differ from mine. I noticed no gain in power when I flashed the stage 1 map; just a smoother power delivery. None of that stuttering under WOT.