Just got Cobb AP. Do I have a knock issue?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just got Cobb AP. Do I have a knock issue? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the car is a 2013 WRX. I just put the 93 oct stage 1 map on the car, everything ...

Just got Cobb AP. Do I have a knock issue?

So the car is a 2013 WRX. I just put the 93 oct stage 1 map on the car, everything else is stock.
    I did a 4th gear pull and I think there seems to be a lot of feedback knock. This is my first time doing a datalog and I forgot to change any parameters, so all of these are just the default ones. Anyways here's the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&usp=sharing

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You're supposed to Datalog during THIRD Gear pulls.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

so that makes this data useless? What's wrong with datalogging a 4th gear pull?

Hm....im kinda new to this aswell but im reading up and getting some info, i did a couple pulls myself on a stage 2 93 octane map on a 07 wrx. My clutch was slipping so i was backing off a bit, but i did a 2k to 6k 3rd gear pull

You could compare your data to see if your getting about the same stats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1TTVYTFE#gid=0

The feedback knock is very strange though and should not be happening, hopefully someone with more knowledge could help you out with that. Sorry I couldnt help to much

Quote Originally Posted by tom1126 View Post
    so that makes this data useless? What's wrong with datalogging a 4th gear pull?
    I believe its because 3rd gear can get the best data for the logs since that when you get the most power out of you car, but im just speculating

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll look at the log tomorrow, but there is nothing wrong with a 4th gear log, other than the speed it puts you at if you carry it to redline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Dgatman View Post
    I believe its because 3rd gear can get the best data for the logs since that when you get the most power out of you car, but im just speculating
    Believe you're correct. Even instructs you to pull from 2500>Redline in third gear for the most accurate log. Nevertheless, random knock during normal driving is common, but you shouldn't see knock under WOT.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

You could compare your data to see if your getting about the same stats.

You have that set to private. You're gonna wanna go into that doc, go to the top right and click share, then click share with anyone who has this link.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'll look at the log tomorrow, but there is nothing wrong with a 4th gear log, other than the speed it puts you at if you carry it to redline.
    Awesome, that's what I thought. I did a third gear pull today, but can't upload it til I get home from work.

Awesome, that's what I thought. I did a third gear pull today, but can't upload it til I get home from work.
    Try to get that third gear pull up. Your fourth gear pull isn't the full rpm range (probably cause you realized the speed running through 4th gets you to)

You aren't getting real high knock values, usually if it's 1.4 or less than it's incidental or false. What's the road you did your pull on like?

I'd just keep logging periodically and see if any learned knock shows up.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Try to get that third gear pull up. Your fourth gear pull isn't the full rpm range (probably cause you realized the speed running through 4th gets you to)

You aren't getting real high knock values, usually if it's 1.4 or less than it's incidental or false. What's the road you did your pull on like?

I'd just keep logging periodically and see if any learned knock shows up.
    Yea, was going a bit too fast, had to cut it. The road was flat interstate, getting on from the on ramp, slightly uphill, but not much.
    When you say learned knock, are you talking about fine knock learning? If any of that shows up, how bad is that?

Yea, was going a bit too fast, had to cut it. The road was flat interstate, getting on from the on ramp, slightly uphill, but not much.
    When you say learned knock, are you talking about fine knock learning? If any of that shows up, how bad is that?
    Basically, the feedback knock is from when the knock sensor itself picks something up. Many things can cause that from actual knock to going over a bump in the road to a rattling heatshield (I think I've heard of that happening). The fine knock learning is something that the ECU does when you continually experience feedback knock under the same circumstances (rpms, load, etc). So if you are seeing correction in that column, it indicates that you more likely are getting real knock because it has been repeated many times.
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Basically, the feedback knock is from when the knock sensor itself picks something up. Many things can cause that from actual knock to going over a bump in the road to a rattling heatshield (I think I've heard of that happening). The fine knock learning is something that the ECU does when you continually experience feedback knock under the same circumstances (rpms, load, etc). So if you are seeing correction in that column, it indicates that you more likely are getting real knock because it has been repeated many times.
    Ah, okay, thanks. So I should keep an eye on the fine knock to confirm I'm getting real feedback knock.

Ah, okay, thanks. So I should keep an eye on the fine knock to confirm I'm getting real feedback knock.
    Yeah. I think you should definitely get a few full rpm range pulls in 3rd done and post them up. Then periodically log and keep an eye out for fine learning.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Actually, the car should make more power in 4th.. more load. 4th gear data log is as good, if not better than 3rd gear.. but like EJ said, topping out 4th gear at 7100rpm has you moving pretty fast for public roads.

Heres the datalog i open for you to read

If anyone can tell me whats going on that would be great

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.