Skeptical about Cobb AP - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Skeptical about Cobb AP within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Cobb has thousands of APs out there on many kinds of cars now...not saying that there hasn't been a bad ...

Cobb has thousands of APs out there on many kinds of cars now...not saying that there hasn't been a bad tune here or there because it happens and some cars just happen to not take well to it. But that doesn't mean that the AP on a whole is bad.

Positive your buddy didn't spin a bearing due to the build date?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt troise View Post
    I don't but he swears it was from the AP, idk he was pretty hard on the car, so, but I've heard of other instances with other people and they all blamed Cobb. One guy has a youtube channel Evan shanks, his car was protunes by Cobb and they ****ed it up, so
    This is the unfortunate truth. Reputable vendors constantly have to defend themselves against ignorant people.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I don't but he swears it was from the AP, idk he was pretty hard on the car, so, but I've heard of other instances with other people and they all blamed Cobb. One guy has a youtube channel Evan shanks, his car was protunes by Cobb and they ****ed it up, so
    I follow shanks myself. Cobb over boosted his car resulting in engine failure. This was not because he was running an OTS map with the AP...

Well there's others, Evan shanks on youtube had his pro tuned by Cobb and he said they ****ed his engine up , so idk?? Trust me I wanna run stage 2 BAD!! But not at the cost of reliability/losing warranty. So is the AP easy to navigate/use, like is it user friendly, will I pick it up after a while?? And also can subaru tell your ECU has been flashed and void you out?? Thanks again.

One of the techs at Subaru said don't Cobb it as well as some other owners/friends, they all say do a protune, but isn't that a warranty death sentence?? On the other hand my one friend with an 07 GD Sti swears on the Cobb AP. He says I did everything right with the car during break in and I shouldn't have any problems, I just don't want to install the maps, then some freek thing happens and I'm voided out. I already talked to subaru if they'd let me do it, and they basically recommended not to do it and said it's on you if anything happens. Why doesn't subaru make like an upgraded ECU tune package availible?? Didn't they used to when the bugeye was new in the states?? I think this whole desperation of wrx and Sti is what they don't anymore, because I remember back in 01/02 when the first GD's came stateside they would have all kinds of Sti upgrades, depending on what the dealer had. Like some would have better clutches/shifters/etc. idk correct me if I'm wrong

I Support ClubWRX
    One of the techs at Subaru said don't Cobb it as well as some other owners/friends, they all say do a protune, but isn't that a warranty death sentence??
    Maybe. I feel it certainly should be.

On the other hand my one friend with an 07 GD Sti swears on the Cobb AP. He says I did everything right with the car during break in and I shouldn't have any problems,
    I'm not a Cobb fan, I'll be honest. Not because I dislike the product; it's actually a fine product. In fact, I'd recommend it. However, if you use their product and install their map, follow their mod lists to the letter. Also, it's pay to play. If you blow up your car, they won't fix it for you. The dealer shouldn't -- I didn't say won't, I said shouldn't because that is what I believe is right -- so you get to fix the car yourself.

I already talked to subaru if they'd let me do it, and they basically recommended not to do it and said it's on you if anything happens.
    I can't disagree. It's a stance I'd support on an intellectual level at least.

Why doesn't subaru make like an upgraded ECU tune package availible??
    Why should they? There is no reason for them to do so.

Didn't they used to when the bugeye was new in the states??
    There have been maps deployed but those were for specific reasons.

Like some would have better clutches/shifters/etc. idk correct me if I'm wrong
    I thought you were asking about maps specifically. Hard parts were and continue to be available. However look at the warranty description for SPT parts; these are ostensibly "works" parts (in fact they're relabeled parts distributed by the importer I'd suppose) yet they affect the factory warranty and carry one of their own as a supplement.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Well there's others, Evan shanks on youtube had his pro tuned by Cobb and he said they ****ed his engine up , so idk??
    How many cars have Cobb tuned without any problems? Excellent tunes mind you. Is this the only example you can find? This is the same guy that runs a FMIC with the stock turbo and has a slammed car... I've watched his videos. Very skeptical.

Trust me I wanna run stage 2 BAD!! But not at the cost of reliability/losing warranty.
    For the thousand-th time, you don't void/lose your warranty. You can have a claim denied based on proof that you or something not related to a manufacturer defect caused the problem.

So is the AP easy to navigate/use, like is it user friendly, will I pick it up after a while??
    Yes, Absolutely. It's the simplest thing ever.

And also can subaru tell your ECU has been flashed and void you out?? Thanks again.
    They have the ability to see if your ECu has been flashed. And the second part, we've already covered this.

One of the techs at Subaru said don't Cobb it as well as some other owners/friends, they all say do a protune, but isn't that a warranty death sentence??
    They are right, Pro-tunes are great if you have a good tuner. Believe it or not, many tuners use the Cobb AP. The AP is just a tool. A pro tune will be miles above the OTS maps provided you have a good tuner. The OTS maps are just base maps and not exactly meant as a full tuning solution. And the warranty....this question is answered in every other thread on the internet.

On the other hand my one friend with an 07 GD Sti swears on the Cobb AP. He says I did everything right with the car during break in and I shouldn't have any problems, I just don't want to install the maps, then some freek thing happens and I'm voided out.
    ...the warranty isn't voided. Find a dealer who is "mod friendly" or don't modify the car at all until the warranty period is up.

Yea I really want to Cobb mine but i don't wanna lose warranty, and I really don't know how to tune, I mean I know a little about it but I don't know if it's worth the risk
    I'm just going to pretend like you didn't say warranty again...

And once again, if you datalog after installing the OTS map you should be fine if the logs are fine. You don't need to know how to tune. You download the map, then flash it on to the car. The AP comes with this cool thing called a manual and Cobb has made many instructional videos.

To conclude, you're understanding of the topic needs work. Moreover, these are all questions and topics that are discussed literally every other day. Proceed calmly to the FAQ's and Sticky's. From now on please reply once, and with a well thought out post instead of quadruple posting. Your welcome for taking the time to address your questions. You won't get this from very many people.

^ this

Ots map, he has perrin exhaust, Cobb sf intake, grimmspeed catch can, and I forget what else, I think he was running too much boost? But idk for sure
    Did he also have a sweet BOV that went PSSHH PSSHH PSHHHHH?

...and I really don't know how to tune, I mean I know a little about it...
    Then don't. Its not a trial and error game.

Ok thanks, yea my friend totally ****ed his hatch up. True about that kid Evan shanks too. I don't have a " mod friendly" dealer in my area, there are only 2 and will most likely blame any failure on aftermarket/tuning. Idk where you guys find dealers that let you tune your car??? I guess I'm just gonna wait until after my warranty is up. But isn't it ideal to put parts on and tune while the car is brand new?? Aren't the OTS maps specified for the car in "like brand new condition". Well I guess it don't matter if you get a pro tune, but I heard as soon as a pro tune has been logged on your ECU, the dealer can tell. I don't want a pro tune. I just would like the Cobb ap and a stage 1 tune, I'm really only looking to go stage 2 max. Thanks again

Lmao about the bov, yea I think he did. XD

Jeez I thought the purpose of car forums were to help other owners out

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar

For me personally the good out weighs the bad. Theres always a chance that you will blow/hurt your engine, but you choose to take that risk if you "mod" your car. The way you drive is also a big part of the equation. Just my 2 cents.

I Support ClubWRX
    You have to pay to play. Whenever you add ANY aftermarket parts to your car you run the chance of having a warranty claim denied if said parts are the direct cause of the failed part. Dealerships can tell when you or a professional have flashed a MAP to your ECU. Some look for it, some do not bother to look. It is honestly a crap shoot, you will never know until you have to try it because every dealer is different. Roll the dice and see what happens.

With that being said, the Cobb AccessPort is a VERY solid tuning tool and will NEVER cause anything on your car to fail. Like others have already stated, what causes things to fail is the MAP or the tune. It's really all a matter of opinion, If you use parts that are supported by the OTS MAPs you can get and follow the instructions and log frequently to make sure the engine is taking to the tune then there should not be any issues. When you don't follow the instructions and monitor your system's vitals is when you can run into problems.

I believe a Protune is only really necessary when you go beyond your basic stage 2 which is supported by most OTS maps. The OTS maps are more than adequate for power levels up to the stage 2 level. Now this is just my opinion, and everyone has a different opinion. But I do think the AP will be just fine for you to begin with, as long as you do what you are supposed to be doing.

Finally, it sounds to me like you really need to take a step back and do a **** load of research... Don't rush into this, that's how people **** up. Get advice from people like us, who know what they are doing instead of someone who hasn't the slightest ****ing clue what he/she is doing with his/her car. Take your time to really learn what you are doing to your car and how it will affect it. Weigh the positives and negatives to see if what you want to do is really worth it in your situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and if this post coupled with what everyone has already tried to tell you doesn't help, then you sir are a lost cause.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Ok thanks a lot Mcbill. I've never understand what data logging meant until I heard on these forums. Now I have a clearer picture of what's involved. That's what I can't get over is the gamble of pay to play. I just have that have that feeling with my luck something will go wrong, and I would never be able to forgive myself for screwing up a perfectly exceptionally fast sports sedan. It's happened before to me with a mustang, my first car and i went through the whole cherrade with ford trying to cover my car after it failed. I understand they have to prove the part caused the fail, but they are not going to replace/fix it right on the spot, you have to wait for court dates and all that mess and in the mean time your out of a car for x number of months. Idk I think the risk/reward isn't worth it, cause really what do you get in the end, 20 unreliable horses? Idk maybe I'm wrong, I'd really like to be pushin 300

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.