Tune with a Catback Exhaust?

This is a discussion on Tune with a Catback Exhaust? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, just bought a 2012 WRX. Wanted to know if I need a tune with a cat back exhaust? ...

Tune with a Catback Exhaust?

Hey guys, just bought a 2012 WRX. Wanted to know if I need a tune with a cat back exhaust? Also thinking about getting an AEM CAI. But I heard you need to get a tune when putting in a CAI. Is that true? Can I run it without a tune or will it damage my engine down the road?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by bucknebd View Post
    Hey guys, just bought a 2012 WRX. Wanted to know if I need a tune with a cat back exhaust?
    Not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bucknebd View Post
    Also thinking about getting an AEM CAI. But I heard you need to get a tune when putting in a CAI. Is that true?
    A tune is recommended for smooth efficient operation. There are other quality intakes out there, read about all of them before deciding. You'd do OK with the stock plumbing as well.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

A catback doesn't require a tune, but any intake does.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying