WRX tune
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX tune within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Recently bought an 05' WRX. Love it just as my as my old 04' with 405awhp-420ftlb. Haven't had a suby ...

WRX tune

Recently bought an 05' WRX. Love it just as my as my old 04' with 405awhp-420ftlb. Haven't had a suby in 3 years. My newer car came with 3 inch up pipe back exhaust ( stock headers). The stock engine management system is doing an awesome job regulating boost. The injectors are stock just based off sound( no loud ticking like my old 750cc pinks). I installed an Injen short ram a couple months ago-increasing my throttle response and spooling the turbo much faster than the stock air induction box. I believe the stock turbo (13t!?) is powering the boost which is at 14psi, I haven't had time to take it off and look at the serial number/part number. Since this was done by flat 4 performance in Illinois I'm sure they had it dynoed with the new up pipe back exhaust. Hoping I could get some insight because a tune is kinda expensive and there is nothing wrong with the car just seeing if a tune would be nessesary seeing that there is no problem in the management ( or I would see a check engine light, which I haven't).

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Anytime anything related to modification with the exception of cosmetics and cat backs it's recommended to have a tune done.

What are you using to log?

~Tyler K~
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please disregard typos!

nodda. The car came with the up and down back 3 inch APS which I figure the owner before me had a tune done. There was a flat 4 motorsports sticker on the car when I got it, figure he went there for his tunes. I plan on getting a COBB once I have the money.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneeyyy View Post
    Recently bought an 05' WRX. Love it just as my as my old 04' with 405awhp-420ftlb. Haven't had a suby in 3 years. My newer car came with 3 inch up pipe back exhaust ( stock headers). The stock engine management system is doing an awesome job regulating boost. The injectors are stock just based off sound( no loud ticking like my old 750cc pinks). I installed an Injen short ram a couple months ago-increasing my throttle response and spooling the turbo much faster than the stock air induction box. I believe the stock turbo (13t!?) is powering the boost which is at 14psi, I haven't had time to take it off and look at the serial number/part number. Since this was done by flat 4 performance in Illinois I'm sure they had it dynoed with the new up pipe back exhaust. Hoping I could get some insight because a tune is kinda expensive and there is nothing wrong with the car just seeing if a tune would be nessesary seeing that there is no problem in the management ( or I would see a check engine light, which I haven't).

Thanks!
    You won't necessarily see a check engine light. You'd really need to be doing some logs, preferably with a wideband O2, to be certain it is running well. We've seen plenty of folks come in who bought a modded 05+ that they thought was running fine for x weeks then all of a sudden goes into limp mode.

If I were you I'd call flat 4 to see if they have any record of the car at least. I'd probably stay out of boost until I knew what was going on with engine management too.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

^ That! The tuner has records and you can contact them, no problem. You might even get a dyno curve from them. I did that when I bought my car used and already modded. Turned out well, but the car has not been on a dyno. After 2 years I am positive that this was a good deal. Only my front O2 sensor had to be replaced during these 2 years... I'd also highly recommend to get a Tactrix and Romraider software, pull a couple of logs and see where you are. You're looking at about $180. WRX's are NOT cheap, either buying or HAVING. This expense is just some of the special tools that are (in my opinion) downright needed to keep the car.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

How do you know boost is at 14psi? Stock is in the mid 13psi range, so if it's staying around stock boost, I'd be willing to bet that you're not tuned.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.