1998 WRX engine managment?

This is a discussion on 1998 WRX engine managment? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi I have searched all over and cant find the information I need. I have just bought a JDM forester ...

1998 WRX engine managment?

Hi I have searched all over and cant find the information I need. I have just bought a JDM forester S/TB 1998, which has the same drive train as the 1998 WRX but has been detuned to 250hp. So I believe it should be the same ECU as the WRX just brought down in power.Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway I wanted to know what kind of engine management is available for this vehicle I can only find information on 2002+ WRX and I wasn't sure if the Cobb access port would work.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If a Cobb's map notes state that it can work, then it will. If the map notes don't state anything about your particular vehicle, then it will not work. Contact Cobb and ask them.

Methinks you'd have to do some custom tuning via an Opensource route or professional tuner.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

A quick google search shows that Open source might not even work.

RomRaider • View topic - 1998 JDM WRX ECU

Thanks Mikie13 Im pretty sure Cobb wont work as it says nothing about it.
    I may just have to go to a professional tuner oh well.
    Thanks.

Thanks you A265 I am new to modifying cars [My car is still in Japan haha.] so I wanted to avoid open source.
    Tanks again.

Looks like ill have to use a EBC and all the supporting mods.

Why avoid open source? From what I can tell 98 WRX's have a EJ20k, I've seen some run Rob 550 tuned ecu. From what they say it's one of the only solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Why avoid open source? From what I can tell 98 WRX's have a EJ20k, I've seen some run Rob 550 tuned ecu. From what they say it's one of the only solutions.
    I just wanted to as I am a total beginner. This will be the last of my modifications after I understand the car better. From what I have read they require a fair amount of tuning knowledge. A rob tuned forester would be pretty awesome. I have seen some videos but never researched them enough.

Thanks again.

You need the matching components for the tune, i.e. the right engine with 8.5:1 or less compression ratio (JDM EJ20G Forester motor is 9:1), the matching injectors for the tune (cleaned and flow tested is ideal), the matching green label JECs MAF, a fuel pump that can flow enough for the injectors.

This is what I found on the rob tune website.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ecutek should work.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Ecutek should work.
    I had hope but according to the website "The following vehicles are not supported by the ProECU Programming Kit:

Subaru vehicles requiring additional programming cable hardware. These include 1999-2003MY Subarus, as well as some later JDM Subarus up to 2007 with cable throttle control."

The website then also shows this.
    http://www.ecutek.com.au/dyno-graphs...98-02-turbo-2l