getting all the right parts
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on getting all the right parts within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am currently trying to make a list of the parts I will need to get my 02 wagon running ...

getting all the right parts

I am currently trying to make a list of the parts I will need to get my 02 wagon running correctly. Its not running right now because I want to get tune before I continue driving it, so I have started researching what I will need but I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys before making any purchases....

I have already installed an AEM cold air intake, Invidia up/dn pipes, and CBE....I plan on getting a Cobb AP tuner, walbro 255fuel pump and STI pink 565 injectors but my biggest question is about what turbo will work best for quick spool, good top end power but not too expensive....I keep looking at the VF34's but wonder if a 16G or 18G would be better suited for what I need...I will not track this car, I commute 100 miles a day so I want to get it tuned for decent gas mileage but have a turbo with a solid punch for passing on hwy...any input is welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump.....anyone??

Can't comment on the turbo. But you look into open source tuning?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    The Mitsubishi turbos are generally rebuildable, the IHI turbos are generally not. This will affect your decision if you buy used more so than new. Your goals of quick spool, good opt end power and not too expensive aren't usually things that go together.

Instead of asking what parts, flip the question on its head and find a map first that you would like to run. That map will support specific parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Get a Process West TMIC, a 3-port EBCS, and a Blouch 16g-XT. Done.

Havent looked at open source tuning as an option, there are so many ways to get a tune, I just wanted to get the cobb ap so if I choose to play with the settings I can do so with ease... as for the turbo choice, I guess I will be happy with a car that is tuned properly and reliable....I know I said a turbo with a quick spool and cheap, but I know I will be spending $4-500 on whatever I get minimum....cheap being a relative term when speaking in hundreds of $$ I read about how the VF22 has great top end but slow spool, I considered the VF30 and 34 but I think I will probably go with an 18G so if I need to rebuild I have the ability to....I have a TMIC but is it necessary to upgrade to a larger intercooler?? would that involve needing to get an STI hood scoop?? I plan to upgrade brakes at some point as well

the reason I haven't considered open source is I am not the greatest when it comes to computers and software, I am hands-on but I get very flustered when it comes to technology as such....if I can bolt it on with a wrench im doing just fine...I guess the ap has some computer installation but seems much more easy to deal with than open source.... As for choosing a map then selecting parts that are supported by that map sounds like a great idea, but I am a first timer when it comes to tuning, period. I get the jest of what the maps are showing but honestly they kinda all look the same to me....Id be choosing at random, that doesn't seem like the right route for me...unless I get a lil schooling on what I should look for in a map?? Plus Iam a bit confused by having a shop dyno my car to tune it, so isn't part of the tuning to give you a map that works for your particular setup?? If I select my own map why do I need to go to the dyno for a tune?? isn't the map really what "tunes" the car?? please correct any of these thoughts if I am mistaken

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If you're doing a turbo swap I would get a protune. The 18g isn't supported by Cobb OTS maps anyway.

The 18g would be too big for the STi pink injectors I would think. This choice would mostly be up to your tuner and what he's comfortable with anyway.

You will need a larger intercooler for any of those turbos.

The VF turbos, except the 39, are all going to be relatively old and can't be rebuilt. The best turbo choice for you would be a 16g. Talk to the guys at Blouch. Spool up can also be heavily effected by the tuner. With a good tune and the right mods you could have a 22 at full boost very soon.

This is what i would do...
    Get a Process West TMIC, a 3-port EBCS, and a Blouch 16g-XT and a Protune. Done.

Thx for the info, I haven't done enough research obviously to know what cobb maps work for what components... this may be a dumb question but If I get a map that supports the parts I buy, what really is the dyno tune do for me?? If the map is designed to work with certain parts then what do I get out of a dyno other than #'s for torque and hp?? is it more of a fine tuning of the system?? how long can a tuning session take??cost??

I think my budget is going right down the drain..................the more I research the more I realize I will be putting some serious money into this project.....I know it will be worth it though

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    A short amount of research will answer most of your questions in better detail than I'm willing to provide.

Where I live the top of the line most expensive tuner will charge you $500 for a dyno tune. The Cobb OTS maps are generic, designed to work across a wide customer base at a wide variety of altitudes, climates, and cars. They're "base maps" and crappy in my opinion *grain of salt. The tune needs to be tailored to your car to be most effective. Here comes in the tuner.

Advantages of a custom tune is that it is specifically designed for your car to address your needs and concerns and to deliver the kind of balance of performance, reliability, and mods you want/have. The car will run smoother, and yes, you will likely yield a little more power. If you're going to do a turbo swap, a protune whether it be on the road or on a dyno is almost a must. You will likely want to run parts not supported by Cobb maps to best suit your car and needs/desires. Such as EWG, 3 port EBCS, Larger injectors, a different turbo, etc etc.

The Cobb AP is more so a piece of hardware than it is a full tuning solution. Especially if swapping turbos. However, for stage 1 or 2 it is suitable...which is where I'd start if I were you.

been reading up on tactrix and it seems doable , if I go with the setup u said u would go with above, I can run either the tactrix/romraider or the ap for loading my maps/reflash, and use STI pinks/walbro 255 with the 16G and a larger intercooler...then a protune by FW motorsports(local tuner) do I really need to use a EBCS??or is that just gravy??
    Last edited by arcflash316; 01-03-2014 at 09:41 PM.

K I sent a message to FW motorsports telling them what I have, what I plan to buy and what I want out of my car, also asked if the setup requires anything else or needs any changes to work........cant wait to hear back from them....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.