Cobb v3 stage one map question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobb v3 stage one map question within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was looking at the maps offered by Cobb. I regularly get 93 octane at my local gas station by ...

Cobb v3 stage one map question

I was looking at the maps offered by Cobb. I regularly get 93 octane at my local gas station by my house. However sometimes when I get fuel by my work they only have 91. To make things less complicated I was thinking about running the stage 1 91 octane map at all times. My question is if I run the stage 1 91 octane map can I put 93 in it with out doing any damage? or should I just switch the maps whenever I fill up at work or home? or should I just always look for 93/91 octane depending on what map I choose?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First off, you should just pick an octane and stick to it. Preferably 93oct since it's what required, but you can use 91 if necessary.

Pick an octane
    Stick to it
    Tune for it
    profit.

I don't really see the issue here.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

If you run 93 majority of the time, then use the 93 map. The car's ECU will make necessary timing adjustments to prevent knock events from occurring when you have to run 91.

You should make it a point to stick to 93 though...if you see you are running low, or will run low by the time you leave work, then just fill it up before you leave home that day.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    There's no harm in running 93 with a 91 map. Just run the 93 map and fill up at work. Also, ^what mikie said.

Run the 93 map, fill up with 93 always. Load the 91 map to the AP for insurance so if you're stuck somewhere without 93 you can switch maps on the car. That's what I do for trips or long cruises if I have to fill up.

Thanks for the advice, going to go with the 93, I'll load the 91 map for travel but only use it if I can't find 93.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The car's ECU will make necessary timing adjustments to prevent knock events from occurring..

I dunno.. I've seen an alarmingly high number of MY13s that knocked like crazy on both stage one and stage two Cobb OTS maps, regardless of what fuel was being used.

wouldn't the 91 map be better suited (safer) to cover both 91 and 93 fuels?
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

That's what I was thinking. I'm new but I would assume that on the 91 map if you ran 93 there would be even less chance of a knock if running 91. Totally new so I have no idea. That's why I'm asking the pros.

Not a pro, but agree (it's what I did).....run the 91 octane map and I generally use 93 octane gas. The Cobb maps are supposed to be pretty safe, and from the logs I have...appear to be. I would rather have an extra margin of safety by doing this than looking for that last little bit of performance I will hardly ever use.

Just my thoughts.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

The only difference (usually) between octane ratings is the resistance to detonation (knock). So regardless, that's what you should pay attention to. Heck, I would try to see if the 93 octane map knocks on 91 (I don't know how 'tight' those maps are) and if not, you are golden. Just keep an eye on it by datalogging and using the AP gauge.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

I've been using 93 with the 93 map. Every time I get a knock report. It's not knocking all the time and only a few times over the allowed 1.4 false knock. They are random and usually in low rpms. Should I be concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy View Post
    I've been using 93 with the 93 map. Every time I get a knock report. It's not knocking all the time and only a few times over the allowed 1.4 false knock. They are random and usually in low rpms. Should I be concerned?

Can you post a log of a 3rd gear pull?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I'm pretty sure on Cobbs website it says if you use anything less than 93 ever to use the 91 octane tune.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSemoWrx View Post
    I'm pretty sure on Cobbs website it says if you use anything less than 93 ever to use the 91 octane tune.
    Without looking that up: my gut feeling is that's right! As I said above, 91 map can easily handle 93 fuel, but not so sure about the other way around. Like in the olden times: you can run premium in a regular, not regular in a premium car (engine). You may waste money using the more expensive fuel, but you would not hurt anything.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Without looking that up: my gut feeling is that's right! As I said above, 91 map can easily handle 93 fuel, but not so sure about the other way around. Like in the olden times: you can run premium in a regular, not regular in a premium car (engine). You may waste money using the more expensive fuel, but you would not hurt anything.
    Didn't mean to repeat what you said. I am currently about to buy one and I've read almost ever square inch of their website on it and even the different maps that I would use.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast