05 wrx Stage 1 questions

This is a discussion on 05 wrx Stage 1 questions within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello guys, I plan to pick up a tactrix cable in the next few days in preperation for going stage ...

05 wrx Stage 1 questions

Hello guys,

I plan to pick up a tactrix cable in the next few days in preperation for going stage 1. I spoke to Eric over at toquedperformance via e-mail the other night about getting a custom map made for this purpose. He highly suggests that i pick up either a MBC or an EBCS, as he says the stock boost control system on the 04-05 wrx's is almost not worth doing a tune on. All I really want out of stage 1 is a more linear curve with some more meat under it, is an aftermarket boost controller necessary? If so which should i go with a MBC or a EBCS? I like to do things right the first time so any opinions on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

~~~
    One of these days i'll make a real signature....

05 WRX stock
    Southcoast MA

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Necessary? No.. but it does make a difference. You can pickup a GM 3-port EBCS with the pigtail connector for less than $30 on Amazon.com. At stage one or two I would definitely opt for an EBCS over MBC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Agonistt
    He highly suggests that i pick up either a MBC or an EBCS, as he says the stock boost control system on the 04-05 wrx's is almost not worth doing a tune on. All I really want out of stage 1 is a more linear curve with some more meat under it, is an aftermarket boost controller necessary?
    Absolutely not. I have never had an issue with S1/S2 boost control with the OE unit, except if there was a mechanical issue.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for the speedy replies, you guys rock! Based on your input i'm leaning towards keeping the stock boost control as i'd like to keep my mod list short (for now at least). When i finish up my Engineering degree in the spring (22 credits this spring, kill me now) I intend to go to stage 2 and utilize an EBCS. But for now, with the mileage this vehicle is seeing every week (~450 mi/week), the smaller the mod list the better. Thanks again for your time and expertise.