p0301 and p0303 misfire codes 2011 wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on p0301 and p0303 misfire codes 2011 wrx within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello fellas, Nick here, have a 2011 wrx wagon. Absolutely love the car. I have been seeing some issues lately ...

p0301 and p0303 misfire codes 2011 wrx

Hello fellas,

Nick here, have a 2011 wrx wagon. Absolutely love the car. I have been seeing some issues lately (no mods this my daily driver, keep the 68 mustang for all that fun stuff). Ive been working on cars for a while, but mostly rest-mods and such, first venture into the world not turbo 4s, not more tunning carbs through sound car makes anymore i guess.

I truthfully bought this car to avoid spending my weekends working on it. But I have seen the same 2 codes come up and the dealer has basically telling me its 1500 bucks to guess what the problem is without exactly being sure what caused the issue.

Codes
    P0301 and P0303 cylinder missfire.

Dealer did roughness test, slight roughness in both cylinders (~1-2%). cleared codes and set if it comes back then they will have to take the motor apart for 1500 with hopes that all it needs is a valve job

Car has 54K on it, going to change plugs, etc as per the 60K major service. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

actually as a fellow tuner (edelbrock personally) on a old v8 guy who's had a wrx for a bit, you start to learn the sound of it not running right fairly quick. which is good, lol. i came from a 84 camaro ive owned since 94 and its been my only car, race car(scca and drag)hotrod and car show ride when the paint was still fresh. all that wrench time of yours will pay off with diy labor. i do hope that your car doesnt have bad/cracked valves though. great time for head gaskets(they apparently leak more than my old 350's valve cover gaskets) that said they should be able to diag with the standard battery of compression and vacuum tests for bad valves. i hope.

as far as the plugs go though. follow the advice from the club members. the irridium plugs i bought came factory set at .044, supposedly for my car year make model(02 wrx) no. so wrong. poor running, rough starting and studdering under mild throttle and partial boost. read threads on plugs and found i had 'turbo blow out' the boost was killing the plugs spark partially. so regap to .033 i think and all's better. more boost means smaller gap, totally backwards from my old v8 and big a%% MSD ignition with a huge gap of like .070 i think. its a big curve lol but its fun once you get going!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrake86 View Post
    Hello fellas,

I truthfully bought this car to avoid spending my weekends working on it. But I have seen the same 2 codes come up and the dealer has basically telling me its 1500 bucks to guess what the problem is without exactly being sure what caused the issue.

Codes
    P0301 and P0303 cylinder missfire.

IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post

as far as the plugs go though. follow the advice from the club members. the irridium plugs i bought came factory set at .044 !
    Sounds like they gave you plugs for a N/A 2.5L I would double check the part numbers.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Sounds like they gave you plugs for a N/A 2.5L I would double check the part numbers.

Thanks for the Guide link. That is actually what brought me to the forum and what I have been working off of.

So far I have replaced the plugs, gapped to .028. I pulled number one plug and it was gapped closer to .016. Not a whole lot of carbon build up. I am pulling out the MAF today and will clean out with the MAF cleaner.

I have checked almost everything else on that list. Except for the valve clearance (which i just dont have the tools to do here in my tiny apartment).

The one BIG question I have is, I was able to score some Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner (MCCC). It says spray directly into the Throttle body. I know that this would be simple on a non-turbo mopar/ford/chevy, but who would I go about this for the WRX?

Do I need to remove the intercooler to spray in and will the car be ok without the intercooler on. I have read that for seafoam you put in through a BPV (might have that wrong) but this is a spray can and not something I could poor. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks for all the help. Any yes I truely miss the old carb days. Missing tuning the speed demon on mustang now for sure.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.