Problem with tuning car runs like **** hardly drivable

This is a discussion on Problem with tuning car runs like **** hardly drivable within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well hear it goes...... car is an 02 wrx with a catless down pipe and axle back exhaust i am ...

Problem with tuning car runs like **** hardly drivable

Well hear it goes...... car is an 02 wrx with a catless down pipe and axle back exhaust i am currently trying to tune with an access port to stage 2 93 octane ( well i tried damn near every map on the access port and none of them made much of a difference) First lets start with the cars history. i bought the car with a snapped timing belt the kid was going 20 miles and hour pretty much idling so the valves were only slightly bent, no cracked pistons, no head damage etc. i took heads off of a parts engine i had and checked all the valve clearances and they checked out. i put the car all a back together with new timing components and threw the engine back in. well to my suprise the car ran like absolute **** (ive built 6 wrxs/stis before this and never had an issue, all stock wrxs though, ive never dealt with tuning as i buy and sell them). At first the car through a code for the heater sensor circuit on bank one so i replaced the 02 sensor and the check engine light came off for that but still ran like ****, so i figured let me swap ecus and see what happens, no avail, ran exactly the same. So than i plugged in the original ecu and i got a flashing check engine/ than solid light and a i got all cylinders misfiring code on my AP. Wonderful! so i check the timing again (spot on) cleaned and swapped both cam and crank sensor gears and it still runs like ****. As far as i know the car has not had the injectors and turbo touched they appeared to be stock, everytime i reflash the ecu my a.f ratio is absolutley terrible most of the time around 19 to 22. I havent even driven this car, obviously it hardly runs lol. **** is pissing me off! oh and i replaced the fuel filter and did a compression test aside from mediocre numbers on the compression test they were all even at about 145-150psi. Im lost and need guidance!!! I'm suspecting a bad fuel pump at this point, oh and i drained the tank and put 8 gallons of fresh 93 in it. i have tons of subaru resources.......everything but a tuner who doesnt use an access port. Well if anyone can help me out i would be so appreciative If there is anything i left out thats important ask away! thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm no expert.

Does the car have a plugged up- catted uppipe?

Are you able to monitor the A/F ratios with a wideband A/F sensor?

Since you have the accessport, have you tried monitoring some of the cars feedback from its sensors? (although I have no idea if you can watch for knock events at idle)

Here's the thread for misfire diagnosis:
    IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    David - '05 WRX

i replaced the catted up pipe from a known working engine i pulled out of a salvaged car so i know thats its in good shape. I have no idea what i can do with the access port really ive read up briefly on live data logging etc, heres another question. The car originally came with an intake catless up and down pipe but the kid didnt know what kind of tune he had on the motor. Could my access port possible not be able to override the previous map that was placed on the ecu. i guess i could uninstall on the orginal ecu and try installing on a different one?

The AP, so long as installed and flashed correctly, will copy whatever map is "stock" on that ECU, and save it. Then it will overwrite the intended map chosen.

There's obviously something mechanical going on here...I'd suggest just putting the car back to stock, with a known stock ECU, and starting troubleshooting there so that you can eliminate the mods/tune/lack of tune from the possible issues.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah my an is to return to stock this week and put known working stock cats on the car. I hope that something leads me to an answer. Thanks guys