Cobb AccessPort Changing Tunes Question

This is a discussion on Cobb AccessPort Changing Tunes Question within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am new the the Subaru world and self ECU tuning. I recently sold my Mustang Cobra and purchased a ...

Cobb AccessPort Changing Tunes Question

I am new the the Subaru world and self ECU tuning. I recently sold my Mustang Cobra and purchased a 2014 WRX. So far I love the car, and enjoy reading these forums.

I am still breaking in the motor, but I am interesting in getting an AccessPort and a Invidia Q300 catback in the near future. I have a few questions, and I have surfed the forums and have not found anything quite on point.

1) How good are the OTS maps from Cobb?

2) Will brand of exhaust or CAI make a difference when it comes to choosing a tune? (If I get an Invidia exhaust and a non-Cobb CAI, would it affect the way the OTS map performs)

3) How frequently do people brick their ECUs using an AccessPort? And is it something that can be fixed by the user (similar to an iPhone where you just reflash again for lack of a better analogy, or would the ECU need to be sent out?

4) I see that there are a number of maps from Stage 1 to Non-Performance. Is it dangerous to frequently change maps? (Say you're running a Stage 1 map, and then when you get somewhere, is it safe to put the anti-theft map or valet map on, then when you get back to the car to put the Stage 1 back on.)

Also, I apologize if this is not posted in exactly the right category.

Thank you in advance, and I would really appreciate any information that could be provided!
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nayrb37 View Post
    I am new the the Subaru world and self ECU tuning. I recently sold my Mustang Cobra and purchased a 2014 WRX. So far I love the car, and enjoy reading these forums.

I am still breaking in the motor, but I am interesting in getting an AccessPort and a Invidia Q300 catback in the near future. I have a few questions, and I have surfed the forums and have not found anything quite on point.

1) How good are the OTS maps from Cobb?

2) Will brand of exhaust or CAI make a difference when it comes to choosing a tune? (If I get an Invidia exhaust and a non-Cobb CAI, would it affect the way the OTS map performs)

3) How frequently do people brick their ECUs using an AccessPort? And is it something that can be fixed by the user (similar to an iPhone where you just reflash again for lack of a better analogy, or would the ECU need to be sent out?

4) I see that there are a number of maps from Stage 1 to Non-Performance. Is it dangerous to frequently change maps? (Say you're running a Stage 1 map, and then when you get somewhere, is it safe to put the anti-theft map or valet map on, then when you get back to the car to put the Stage 1 back on.)

Also, I apologize if this is not posted in exactly the right category.

Thank you in advance, and I would really appreciate any information that could be provided!
    1) Depends who you ask. Some people love em, some don't. What they are is an attempt at a one-size-fits-all map, so they tend to be on the conservative side. That said, some cars run them fine, some don't.

2) Brand of catback exhaust, no. Brand of cai, yes. Cobb's stage 1 maps only support their intake and the AEM intake.

3) Can't say I've ever heard of someone bricking their ecu, though I'm sure it has happened. I wouldn't worry about it. But yes, you would have to get a new ecu.

4) Yes. Er...no. Ok, there's two questions in there, the answers in order are no, and then yes. Though, if you do put an intake on, I wouldn't switch maps. I don't know much about Cobb's valet mode or anti-theft maps, but if they don't support the intake then I wouldn't switch to them. What circumstances would you be in that you would frequently need those maps? I can't think of anyone who actually uses them.

Oh, and congrats on the purchase!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    1) Depends who you ask. Some people love em, some don't. What they are is an attempt at a one-size-fits-all map, so they tend to be on the conservative side. That said, some cars run them fine, some don't.

2) Brand of catback exhaust, no. Brand of cai, yes. Cobb's stage 1 maps only support their intake and the AEM intake.

3) Can't say I've ever heard of someone bricking their ecu, though I'm sure it has happened. I wouldn't worry about it. But yes, you would have to get a new ecu.

4) Yes. Er...no. Ok, there's two questions in there, the answers in order are no, and then yes. Though, if you do put an intake on, I wouldn't switch maps. I don't know much about Cobb's valet mode or anti-theft maps, but if they don't support the intake then I wouldn't switch to them. What circumstances would you be in that you would frequently need those maps? I can't think of anyone who actually uses them.

Oh, and congrats on the purchase!
    Thank you very much for the response! I wasn't necessarily planning on using the non-performance maps that frequently, it was more of a curiosity question just to know what my options would be. The anti-theft map is supposed to prevent the car from being started, it would have been interesting to know if that map could be used frequently if parked somewhere "unsafe" then just reflash it when ready to leave.

I would most likely go with a Cobb CAI, they seem to be rated well.

I already dropped in a Kartboy short shifter. I drove the car for about 3 days and I couldn't believe how much play was in the stock shifter. Even with the shorty it's still not ideal, but I do have the Kartboy front/rear bushings that I plan on installing this weekend, hopefully that helps. It was a major change from the short shifter in my Mustang, that had a very short, crisp throw with no play at all. Then I saved myself some money and put in the auto dimming mirror which was surprisingly simple.

I love the car so far, I can't wait to really get on it when the break in period is over. Thank you again!
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson