Colorado Tuners? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Colorado Tuners? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Sinister I said for 200 you'll get a crap tune. Never said e-tunes. How much are most ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    I said for 200 you'll get a crap tune. Never said e-tunes.
    How much are most e-tunes?

But I personally wouldn't e-tune a brand new engine. Stage 1 or 2, sure... anything more, and I want more for my money. Just my opinion.
    Why do you think I respectfully declined to help frenzied out?

Even more complicated setups (bolt-on turbo swaps), you can dial in well, but there is no disputing that datalogs alone can't compete with logs plus personal feedback of being in the car. Honestly, if I spent the money for a turbo swap, and I wasn't tuning the vehicle myself, I would want to pay for the in-person tuning experience. However, you can get the car running pretty well based on logs alone. We agree on some major principles, but I think you're being harder on e-mail tunes (assuming they go through the same logging process they would for an in-person tune) than you need to.
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-25-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Colorado Tuners?

With all due respect, I'm going to disagree. I wasn't hard enough on e-tunes.

E-tunes have their place. Yes. On mild cars, that don't have a lot done to them, and not much tweaking needs done.

I have had protunes where I've first had several hours of scaling the maf and injectors and getting fuel trims just right before hopping on the dyno for over 30 pulls and then going for a cruise to tweak even more.

An e tune cannot duplicate sitting in a car, listening, feeling, and looking to see how the car is performing. Ask any tuner how many times a week they have cars drive up that are not truly ready to be tuned. Part of the job of a professional tuner is to have the car ready to be tuned. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "crap in crap out" since you're a computer guy. Same thing applies to tuning.

I personally would never ever have an e tune done on a car with more than the simplest of modifications done.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    I have had protunes where I've first had several hours of scaling the maf and injectors and getting fuel trims just right before hopping on the dyno for over 30 pulls and then going for a cruise to tweak even more.
    Did you have DW1300s?

An e tune cannot duplicate sitting in a car, listening, feeling, and looking to see how the car is performing.
    I mentioned that in a previous post.

Ask any tuner how many times a week they have cars drive up that are not truly ready to be tuned. Part of the job of a professional tuner is to have the car ready to be tuned. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "crap in crap out" since you're a computer guy. Same thing applies to tuning.
    No, their job is to calibrate the ECU for the parts installed. It's the customers job to bring a vehicle in proper working condition. That's why there is a pre-dyno checklist (and some shops will require the customer to pay their techs to perform said checklist before hooking up to the ECU).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12