Heat wraps vs shields vs blankets???

This is a discussion on Heat wraps vs shields vs blankets??? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I plan on going stage 2 in the future. And can't decide which of these routes I wanna go. I'm ...

Heat wraps vs shields vs blankets???

I plan on going stage 2 in the future. And can't decide which of these routes I wanna go.

I'm cautious about the wraps since they can fatigue the metal and shorten the life of the downpipe.

I'm more interested in the blankets offered by Perrin. But will they have the same effect as the wraps and be too effective and fatigue the steel as well? I know they have a little air gap inside. Would the blanket on the turbo negatively affect it as well and possibly shorten the life? I know I can get one for the uppipe as well and install the blanket with it already installed. I just don't want to have the same effect as the wraps.

Finally, would I be best with a turbo heat shield? I know this would be the least effective at protecting from heat soak, but it wouldn't have the negative effects of the wraps.

I just don't want to go stage 2 and not protect the TMIC and engine bay from the extra heat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Post-turbo exhaust is not nearly as prone to failure due to wraps/coatings as pre-turbo exhaust (mainly headers, as uppipes don't have nearly the failure rate). Most uppipe failures have to do with the flex section, and are usually limited to the lower-quality ones used in the cheaper uppipes. I'd have no concern with wrapping/coating the downpipe until it bends under the firewall, as anything beyond that is diminishing returns.

I don't see any issue with a turbo wrap. Any issue that may arise is well worth the benefits, since stock turbos can be had for cheap enough. By the time you run into any issue (if ever), the VF52 will be as readily available as the VF39/43/48, and will be as cheap as them, too.
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-22-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Post-turbo exhaust is not nearly as prone to failure due to wraps/coatings as pre-turbo exhaust (mainly headers, as uppipes don't have nearly the failure rate). Most uppipe failures have to do with the flex section, and are usually limited to the lower-quality ones used in the cheaper uppipes. I'd have no concern with wrapping/coating the downpipe until it bends under the firewall, as anything beyond that is diminishing returns.

I don't see any issue with a turbo wrap. Any issue that may arise is well worth the benefits, since stock turbos can be had for cheap enough. By the time you run into any issue (if ever), the VF52 will be as readily available as the VF39/43/48, and will be as cheap as them, too.
    Ok thanks, I'll decide whether I want to wrap the DP or get the blanket. I know the wrap is more effect and cheaper.

And I'll probably get the blankets for the turbo and uppipe. If I remember correctly the uppipes on the newer models are catless correct? No need for a new one I wouldnt think.

Ok 2 more questions.

1. Are the steel heat shields very effective?

2. Would fiberglass or lava rock wrap be a better choice? I know the fiberglass needs to be coated with silicon spray, while the lava rock doesn't require it.

Would one hold more moisture against the steel than the other? I know im getting a little extreme, but id like to choose the best overall option possible.
    Last edited by tesla317; 09-22-2013 at 09:25 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla317
    Ok thanks, I'll decide whether I want to wrap the DP or get the blanket. I know the wrap is more effect and cheaper.

And I'll probably get the blankets for the turbo and uppipe. If I remember correctly the uppipes on the newer models are catless correct? No need for a new one I wouldnt think.
    Uppipe: Wrap (if the uppipe has a flex section, make sure that isn't wrapped, as it can cause premature failure)
    Turbo: Blanket

1. Are the steel heat shields very effective?
    If you're referring to a turbo heatshield, it's not nearly as effective as the blanket, but it's better than nothing.

2. Would fiberglass or lava rock wrap be a better choice? I know the fiberglass needs to be coated with silicon spray, while the lava rock doesn't require it.
    Go with the titanium / lava rock wrap over the fiberglass stuff.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Awesome, thanks a bunch.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Lava wrap is soooo much easier and simpler to install. You literally just wrap it up. I would recommend wrapping the downpipe like EJ said and a blanket for the turbo. I had a stock heat shield and no wrap on the downpipe and it brought my underhood temps down siginificantly after I wrapped the downpipe and installed the blanket.

Don't waste your money on an aftermarket turbo heat shield. The blankets are so much more effective and almost the same price.

sorry didn't mean to post here
    2004 Subaru WRX SRR

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Personally, I would wrap everything you can (from the engine to the bend in the downpipe). Lava wrap is easier to work with. As said, turbo blankets are significantly more effective than a simple shield.. however utilizing both would be better than picking one or the other.