18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go with Cobb

5 27.78%
  • Stick with openECU

6 33.33%
  • bewbz are cool

7 38.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on To Cobb or not to Cobb... within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay so I've been scouring the forums to gather as much information as I could. I'm still somewhat at a ...

To Cobb or not to Cobb...

Okay so I've been scouring the forums to gather as much information as I could. I'm still somewhat at a loss here. I've pretty much made my mind up of going either Cobb AP v3, or openECU route using torqued performance.

One thing... I don't have any mods yet! I eventually am planning on: Downpipe, catback, turbo heat shield, and "maybe" on CAI... but not all at once (I want to savor each upgrade )

I've read some good things about stock stage 1 tunes and so here is my dilemma: If I go the cheaper (and my preferred route) of openECU with a TP map, Eric told me he'll help with my first setup and e-tune, but if I want to mod anymore and stick with stage 1, I would have to pay extra to get more assistance (unless if I switched to stage 2). I assume also once I switch to stage 2, if my mods aren't all lined up and ready I won't be able to get more help after my initial setup unless if I pay more. Whereas, with the Cobb AP route, I can slowly build my mods up and just readjust my tune by loading a different map.

I think once I'm all done with the mods in mind, I'll probably want a protune... But it seems the only reputable protuners in the Seattle area uses Cobb...

Thoughts? Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: another argument I think against Cobb might be that I probably won't be using Cobb parts... invidia is my most likely route...
    Last edited by Stunna02; 09-19-2013 at 02:03 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02
    Okay so I've been scouring the forums to gather as much information as I could. I'm still somewhat at a loss here. I've pretty much made my mind up of going either Cobb AP v3, or openECU route using torqued performance.
    Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)

Side note: another argument I think against Cobb might be that I probably won't be using Cobb parts... invidia is my most likely route...
    That's not an argument against Cobb. You don't have to use their exhaust parts to use their mapping. The only "Cobb-only" map would be one of their SF maps, but they include a mapping for the AEM intake, as well.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks EJ ( think I saw your name was Mike?) for reposting the sticky, but I've read that tons of time already. Also you made clear on that sticky that it was a "technical" thread. Well I've got specific questions and was hoping for some advice. Since I will be buying my mods in stages, is it worth it to just remap via Cobb?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)

That's not an argument against Cobb. You don't have to use their exhaust parts to use their mapping. The only "Cobb-only" map would be one of their SF maps, but they include a mapping for the AEM intake, as well.
    And the reason why I thought it was an argument against Cobb was because on their website:
    "Only the COBB Tuning SF Intake and AEM Cold Air Intake are compatible with these maps. Use of an uncertified intake system while using these maps can potentially cause engine damage, regardless of how similar it may look in design to the aforementioned intake systems. "

What are "uncertified" systems? Also I think I remember reading in the nasioc forums that people were complaining about backfires (or afterfires) with using the Cobb AP and other exhaust/intakes? I realize afterfires should only mean that I'm running "rich'... but still :P
    Last edited by Stunna02; 09-19-2013 at 02:38 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks EJ ( think I saw your name was Mike?)
    Matthew

Since I will be buying my mods in stages, is it worth it to just remap via Cobb?
    You said your end goal was to get a custom tune done by one of the shops in the WA area. You mentioned that the reputable ones all want you to use Cobb. That pretty much settles the debate, in my opinion.

And the reason why I thought it was an argument against Cobb was because on their website:
    "Only the COBB Tuning SF Intake and AEM Cold Air Intake are compatible with these maps. Use of an uncertified intake system while using these maps can potentially cause engine damage, regardless of how similar it may look in design to the aforementioned intake systems. "

What are "uncertified" intake systems?
    Intakes that aren't made by Cobb or AEM. Each intake has different MAF scaling associated with them, and Cobb has only provided values for two intakes.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't mind a drive to PDX, PRE is a highly respected OpenSource (and Cobb) tuner. They are also a supporting vendor here. PREracing.com

The NW has lots of highly respected OS and Cobb tuners, although Armin would know the local Seattle tuners better than I would.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    A new user who knows of the bewb poll choice.

Open ECU
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    If you don't mind a drive to PDX, PRE is a highly respected OpenSource (and Cobb) tuner. They are also a supporting vendor here. PREracing.com

The NW has lots of highly respected OS and Cobb tuners, although Armin would know the local Seattle tuners better than I would.
    Thanks for the tip Rambo. I've seen your posts all over the forums as well :P. I wouldn't mind a drive down to PDX, I like at least they list out on their site nice information. But who is Armin?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    A new user who knows of the bewb poll choice.
    Hehe like I've said, I've searched the forums alot . Just been too scared to post anything
    Last edited by Stunna02; 09-19-2013 at 03:39 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Why scared? We are not that other Subaru forum.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo
    If you don't mind a drive to PDX, PRE is a highly respected OpenSource (and Cobb) tuner. They are also a supporting vendor here.
    Nothing against PRE (they seem like a great shop), but Cobb has a shop in Portland as well. If you go the Cobb route, I'd find it difficult to justify going to PRE for an AP tune over Cobb Surgeline. Cobb Tuning facilities also have the ability to flash a car without an AP purchase (I don't believe it's been extended to non-Cobb facilities), similar to OpenECU.

UNYSOC

Well there's always forum politiking... :P I just wanted to be sure I wasn't posting something that wasn't answered before. I couldn't find an answer to my particular question which finally got me to do my first post :P

Nothing against PRE (they seem like a great shop), but Cobb has a shop in Portland as well. If you go the Cobb route, I'd find it difficult to justify going to PRE for an AP tune over Cobb Surgeline. Cobb Tuning facilities also have the ability to flash a car without an AP purchase (I don't believe it's been extended to non-Cobb facilities), similar to OpenECU.
    Hehe maybe Rambo was trying to suggest I go opensource as well . But thanks for pointing that out!

I Support ClubWRX
    Hehe maybe Rambo was trying to suggest I go opensource as well . But thanks for pointing that out!
    I'm not trying to sway you either way. I'm simply pointing out options.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    True, but I was mostly indicating one example of a good semi-local OS tuner. If you're dead set on an AP, I'd argue Surgeline is the best Cobb tuner in the NW. They do a lot of Cobb's OTS map R&D.

TL;DR:

Opensource = PRE
    Cobb = Surgeline
    Last edited by Rambo; 09-19-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

undecided, therefore bewbs.

would love to go protuned period. IMO good shop with a good rep that backs their tunes it doesnt matter(yet) to me which version or system they use.

and yet, i just recieved my UEGO, pyro gauge is in route with pillar pod and boost/vac is already installed. tatrix is in my laptop bag and i am reinstalling RR for a second try. i have all the tools for DIY, just not the technical understanding yet. read read read, school before tools so i dont end up with bricks!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't use torqued performance. I was rather unimpressed
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast