Cobb AP Problems?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobb AP Problems? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, so when I first installed my cobb ap, I drove around for about 20miles before getting on the throttle. ...

Cobb AP Problems?

Okay, so when I first installed my cobb ap, I drove around for about 20miles before getting on the throttle. When I did, the car did just fine through the gears. But when I was in any specific gear and hit the accelerator and let off the car would almost studder, it sort of feels like a misfire.

So then I went and bought the Torqued Performance stage 1, because I have AEM and a Catback, I hoped it would cure whatever was happening. But it still continued to do the same exact thing. I checked for codes... Nothing.

So now I've been searching through forum after forum looking for anybody who may of had this similar problem but I'm having trouble finding anybody with this issue.

Truthfully, the car runs better with the intake and catback on the stock ecu. No stuttering, it's clean. Does anybody have a clue on what's going on here??

And as for data loging, I have no clue what I'm looking for.. Do I need it to help diagnose what's happening?

I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Chris

(I just reported this over from my other forum)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Definitely do some logs.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+1 for logs. Get some info as to what's going on with the car.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    What does Eric say?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What does Eric say?
    Well I first contacted cobb, I'm still waiting on a reply, but the problem was happening on Cobb Stage 1 and the TP Stage 1. I actually bought the TP stage one to try and see if it would resolve my issue, but if I don't have much luck with cobb ill definitely have to give him a call to see what he thinks about the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxWerkz View Post
    Well I first contacted cobb, I'm still waiting on a reply, but the problem was happening on Cobb Stage 1 and the TP Stage 1. I actually bought the TP stage one to try and see if it would resolve my issue, but if I don't have much luck with cobb ill definitely have to give him a call to see what he thinks about the situation.
    I'm kind of confused now.....what tune are you running now? If you're running Cobb's tune, no need to talk to Eric, if you're running the TP tune, no need to be talking to Cobb. Speak to whomever's tune you're running.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    What year car? How many miles? All maintenance done including spark plugs, fuel filter? Whats your boost look like? Stock BPV or aftermarket? Stock Clutch? Motor mounts ok? Center driveline carrier ok?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    What year car? How many miles? All maintenance done including spark plugs, fuel filter? Whats your boost look like? Stock BPV or aftermarket? Stock Clutch? Motor mounts ok? Center driveline carrier ok?
    Whoops, sorry I forgot to add that! It's a 2011 WRX, with 22,XXX miles on it. Currently up to date with maintenance. I get the oil changed every 3000miles as well. I treat my cars very well so I doubt it can be anything due to long term use.

Everything is absolutely stock, other than a Magnaflow catback and a AEM Cai.
    Last edited by WaxWerkz; 09-10-2013 at 02:53 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Loose electrical connection, dirty MAF, boost leak, or slipping clutch perhaps.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

It sounds like a misfire, but there's no codes or engine lights.. Seriously when you hit the throttle and let off I can feel the motor moving around from the jerk that it causes when I let off the throttle.. So this sucks.. And I really don't want to spend $600 or so on a pro tune for just an AEM intake and a magnaflow catback. I'm gonna most likely go back to stock ecu and wait till I have fmic and downpipe to get a protune. F this accessport and the problems it's been causing.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you decide to get rid of your tunes, you need to remove the AEM intake. It is in no way shape or form safe to run on the stock MAF calibration.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you decide to get rid of your tunes, you need to remove the AEM intake. It is in no way shape or form safe to run on the stock MAF calibration.
    Here's the big, huge problem, my dumbass roommate threw away my stock airbox. And even worse he won't admit to it, so I'm gonna need to find somebody on my local forum who is looking to trade on that one. If anything ill revert to stock and get a drop in filter

I'm not sure if what you're describing isn't perfectly normal. The drive-by-wire throttle response is a lot more pronounced with (at least in my case) the TP tune. When I go and let off the throttle at high revs and acceleration the engine cuts power very drastically. My wife always complains about her head almost getting taken off. The solution is to adjust your driving: let off easy, it really is that simple. Maybe that's not your case, but it seem that might be it.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    I'm not sure if what you're describing isn't perfectly normal. The drive-by-wire throttle response is a lot more pronounced with (at least in my case) the TP tune. When I go and let off the throttle at high revs and acceleration the engine cuts power very drastically. My wife always complains about her head almost getting taken off. The solution is to adjust your driving: let off easy, it really is that simple. Maybe that's not your case, but it seem that might be it.
    It could be! I mean, if i let off the throttle easy its no problem. But it also happened with the cobb off the shelf stage one. Did yours do it as well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast