Cobb AP Problems? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Cobb AP Problems? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When my clutch was slipping during WOT pulls (I didn't know it at the time) but it would accelerate and ...

I Support ClubWRX
    When my clutch was slipping during WOT pulls (I didn't know it at the time) but it would accelerate and when you let off real fast you could feel a loud thud/shudder as the clutch grabbed/no longer spun. I assumed my motor mounts were toast. It did this from not long after my protune (30k miles) on my 06 until I upgraded the clutch (86k miles). The 06 and newer models use a similar clutch, but the 06 makes a lot less power stock. Your Stage 1 is where my OTS stage 2 was. The 2.5L has been known to overpower the clutch at stage 2 levels.

FWIW mine no longer does it since I upgraded the clutch.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No, I'm absolutely not talking about a slipping clutch.
    I got my car used with a stge2 setup and a TP tune. AFAIK it never had a Cobb tune of any stage. That's why I said "my car with the TP tune..." (it also has a larger turbo, FMIC, open DP, etc). A slipping clutch may show that sudden and hard deceleration when the clutch grabs, but I'd think there would be other indicators involved also. Like engine revs going up without noticeable acceleration, like wheel-spin on ice...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Eric from torqued performance said my data logs looked pretty normal.. So back to brainstorming.. I may bring it to my local tuner who sells the AP and also does protunes. They may be able to pinpoint something by looking under the hood

Yeah, I'd definitely know if the clutch was slipping.. But my car is completely fine during WOT, just not in one gear pulls and letting off the throttle.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    No, I'm absolutely not talking about a slipping clutch.
    I got my car used with a stge2 setup and a TP tune. AFAIK it never had a Cobb tune of any stage. That's why I said "my car with the TP tune..." (it also has a larger turbo, FMIC, open DP, etc). A slipping clutch may show that sudden and hard deceleration when the clutch grabs, but I'd think there would be other indicators involved also. Like engine revs going up without noticeable acceleration, like wheel-spin on ice...
    Yeah, I'd definitely know if the clutch was slipping.. But my car is completely fine during WOT, just not in one gear pulls and letting off the throttle.
    My clutch never exhibited normal slipping behaviors, it wasn't "worn out". Its clamping force was just over come during HARD WOT pulls in 3rd-5th gears, and it would slightly slip (rather undetectably) as the revs were climbing. When you let off the gas, the clutch would immediately stop slipping and exhibit the exact symptoms being described. Also explains why his logs are normal and it does it with either tune.

When I took my clutch off, the engine side was measurably thinner then the pressure plate side, supporting this.

I first thought something was amiss when I went to the track. I drove there couple weeks after being tuned stage 2. First run 13.8 with 1.8 60' launch control on. Next run 14.12, run after that 14.14 run after that 14.13. Went back a week later 14.1's all over again, same ambient.

Changed the clutch to the Exedy Stage 1, same tune, wholly hell what a difference.

Remember originally the clutch was holding 230ft-lbs tq stock at the flywheel. Not the 350+ ft lbs you can make on stage 2 at the flywheel.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 09-12-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

^ OK, I can see that. But we're talking about a stage 1, that clutch would likely have the be done to go there... If you have gone that far and overpowering the clutch you probably won't really tell until it's gone or going to slip way more. After all, you'd still see good acceleration and likely can't quite synchronize rpms with the corresponding speed due to both changing at a fast rate....
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    ^ OK, I can see that. But we're talking about a stage 1, that clutch would likely have the be done to go there...
    Were talking stage 1 on a 2011 WRX, which is a different animal than stage 1 on an 02-05 or 06-07 WRX.

Stock the 2011 wrx had 265HP using a VF52 turbo. It runs the 1320 in the mid 13's stock.

Stock the 2002-2006 WRX had a td04-13t with 227HP (using the same SAE HP rating std which came into play in 2007).

Since we are talking 2.5L's here, an OTS Stage 2 map for an 06-07 puts your HP in the 295HP ish range. A Cobb stage 1 on the 2011 WRX puts your HP around 300HP and thus above Cobb stage 2 on a 2006 WRX. A TP Stage 1 on a 2011 wrx puts your power waay above Cobb stage 2 on 2006 wrx.

We're talking power not stages, and they are absolutely equivalent.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    My clutch never exhibited normal slipping behaviors, it wasn't "worn out". Its clamping force was just over come during HARD WOT pulls in 3rd-5th gears, and it would slightly slip (rather undetectably) as the revs were climbing. When you let off the gas, the clutch would immediately stop slipping and exhibit the exact symptoms being described. Also explains why his logs are normal and it does it with either tune.

When I took my clutch off, the engine side was measurably thinner then the pressure plate side, supporting this.

I first thought something was amiss when I went to the track. I drove there couple weeks after being tuned stage 2. First run 13.8 with 1.8 60' launch control on. Next run 14.12, run after that 14.14 run after that 14.13. Went back a week later 14.1's all over again, same ambient.

Changed the clutch to the Exedy Stage 1, same tune, wholly hell what a difference.

Remember originally the clutch was holding 230ft-lbs tq stock at the flywheel. Not the 350+ ft lbs you can make on stage 2 at the flywheel.
    I'm definitely going to bring my car to a service shop to see if their is either a leak or a clutch problem, since you said it was rather undetectable.

How is the exedy stage 1??

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxWerkz View Post
    I'm definitely going to bring my car to a service shop to see if their is either a leak or a clutch problem, since you said it was rather undetectable.

How is the exedy stage 1??
    I did a write up and driving impressions here:

Replaced the Clutch in my 06 WRX: A reflection more than a DIY

Its like the stock clutches bitchy sister. It holds really well, transmits power positively and aggressively, yet has stock pedal feel and isn't bad to daily drive.

The only negative is in stock and go traffic (grid lock), which I do for 25 miles each day depending on when I leave. When its new it is really grabby when it heats up in stop and go, makin it a chore when going from a stop to 3mph then to a stop again. With the stock clutch you could let it out and creep along at 1mph or less, where as the Stage 1 wants to be going at least 3 mph. It does break in and the effect lessens after a few thousand miles, but its still there.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12