Stock WRX Tune That Bad? On the fence for Stage 1 - 13' WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock WRX Tune That Bad? On the fence for Stage 1 - 13' WRX within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've been doing as much research as I can on switching to a "stable" stage 1 tune for my ...

Stock WRX Tune That Bad? On the fence for Stage 1 - 13' WRX

So I've been doing as much research as I can on switching to a "stable" stage 1 tune for my Rex. Problem is, I'm on the fence on whether or not it's worth the money for me to either dish out the money for the new AccessPort or go out and buy a cheap but decent laptop and go the open source route via tactrix. I literally have zero experience in tuning, but I really like the idea of stage 1 smoothing things out. Am I crazy or do I have any justification for my thought(s)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

dont beat around the bush, get an intake, and a downpipe, and go get it stage 2 pro tuned and you will be a happy camper. i love the idea of having more power, but i can honestly say that im pretty content with my off the bat stage 2 tune. it has quite a bit more power, and makes super awesome sexy noises. AP=$600. intake, downpipe, and a protune you can get for less than $1000, make the little extra investment and you will be much happier than a stage 1 tune. BUT, if you really dont want to get the DP and intake and stage 2 protune, if you strictly want a stage 1, id still get it protuned, cheaper and much more effective than an OTS AP map. it will be tailor made to your car instead of just getting a "one size fits all" OTS map. i was thinking about the same thing and robin steered my away from the AP, and im glad he did. i smashed on a bmw 335i twin turbo a few weeks ago, it was pretty fun. although once we got to about 100mph he started to pull on me with the extra turbo power. but thats was fine with me. being in burleson, id hit up keith at AWDtuning in flower mound, tx. he did a great job with my stage 2 tune, getting me 270 AWHP on 91 octane. which ive been told is pretty damn good for 91 pump. anywhoo, good luck with your choices and mods and feel free to ask more questions! i know i have asked plenty

Isn't an intake kinda a waste unless you go over say 300whp? I coulda sworn I read that somewhere? Could he also just get the accessport and a downpipe and be stage 2? Then down the road get protuned and have it saved on his accessport so he can flash back to stock if he needs to go in to the dealership for some reason? I am leaning that way for those very reasons as well as all the other things the accessport has to offer.

for the newer generations no, the intake isnt useless. for older generation, i cant remember what years, i think maybe 02-07, they are not as beneficial until your pulling more horses, yes. so you are partially right. since he has a 2013 its definatly good. and yea he could just get a DP and be stage 2, your right, but F it why not get the intake while ur at it. but yea if you just got a DP you could get a protune stage 2 and you would spend about the same amount for an AP. what you are suggesting is true, as well as what i suggested. it all just depends on what route you want and how much money you wanna spend. AP is very convienent, for sure. you can save your maps to it and you can data log. which is definatly nice. i guess it all just depends on if all the stuff is worth it to you and you feel like you can justify spending the 600 just for the ap. like i said, it all just depoends on what route, and how much money you wanna spend. me, i dont care to much about data logging, my car runs great on my tune that kieth did, if i run into any kinds of problem in the future i will tackle it then, although i dont expect to. oh, and about the dealership, wether or not its stock tune or stage 2 tune, they can tell if the ecu has been flashed or not so it kinda doesnt really matter i dont think

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUPATROOPA
    Isn't an intake kinda a waste unless you go over say 300whp? I coulda sworn I read that somewhere?
    It wouldn't surprise me if you've heard it, as it's often times thrown around; however, it's a false claim.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUPATROOPA
    Could he also just get the accessport and a downpipe and be stage 2? Then down the road get protuned and have it saved on his accessport so he can flash back to stock if he needs to go in to the dealership for some reason? I am leaning that way for those very reasons as well as all the other things the accessport has to offer.
    What's the point? Any tech worth their pay would be able to tell that the downpipe was tampered with. A dealership is able to tell that the ECU was flashed if they dig into it (which, with a claim like a transmission/engine, they may). If you try to defraud them, don't expect them to work with you and "good will" the repair (not saying if you're honest they will either, but I know as a service manager, I wouldn't work with you if you tried to lie to me).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Ensorcelled View Post
    So I've been doing as much research as I can on switching to a "stable" stage 1 tune for my Rex. Problem is, I'm on the fence on whether or not it's worth the money for me to either dish out the money for the new AccessPort or go out and buy a cheap but decent laptop and go the open source route via tactrix. I literally have zero experience in tuning, but I really like the idea of stage 1 smoothing things out. Am I crazy or do I have any justification for my thought(s)?
    Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you're going to get a pro-tune, I wouldn't buy an AP unless no tuners in your area will tune OS.

EDIT: Applicable for basic bolt-ons... if you're going speed-density, it's a different story.
    Last edited by zax; 09-09-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

So is the general consensus to go and get pro tuned? I haven't actually researched any reputable tuners out here yet so I can always look into it. Also, I don't know if I'm "ready" so to speak on going stage 2. Like I said before, I just wanted to go stage 1 so things will be smoothed out and such. Are the Cobb OTS maps "meh" or would I be better off say going with some other tune?

My plan of action is to go stage 1 with the car completely 100% stock. Then later on down the road when money is free'd up, I want to snatch up a CAI (Cobb or AEM) dunno which yet and also pick up an invidia q300 cat back. Other than that, I don't have any other performance plans for the car till later later down the road.

Appreciate the replies!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd just go with the Cobb maps for S1 (I don't really think there's a benefit to a custom map at that point, depending on cost). If you go S2 down the road, and decide on a custom tune, either keep the AP and have them tune with that or sell it if you want to go OpenECU route; you'd pretty much break even at that point.
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-09-2013 at 08:38 AM.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'd just go with the Cobb maps for S1 (I don't really think there's a benefit to a custom map at that point, depending on cost). If you go S2 down the road, and decide on a custom tune, either keep the AP and have them tune with that or sell it if you want to go OpenECU route; you'd pretty much break even at that point.
    So a cobb map it is? That will work for me seeing as the AP v3 is nice and looks pretty idiot proof for people like me heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ensorcelled View Post
    So a cobb map it is? That will work for me seeing as the AP v3 is nice and looks pretty idiot proof for people like me heh.
    I picked up the AP V2 in the used section for a great price and flashed to stage 1, then contacted Eric at TP and for $85 more had a much more aggressive and responsive tune. You can then use your data logs to work with Eric and fine tune if necessary, he's extremely responsive and helpful. I also have an AEM CAI on the way which will be installed this week. If you monitor the FS section you can make out pretty good without having to pay full price. I would personally suggest picking up an AP regardless, just because the functionality is very useful even beyond reflashing (i.e. reading/clearing codes, performing data logs, etc.).

I'm slowly working towards Stage 2 but I'm not in a rush, trying to make sure I do things right.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13wrxMA
    I picked up the AP V2 in the used section for a great price and flashed to stage 1, then contacted Eric at TP and for $85 more had a much more aggressive and responsive tune. You can then use your data logs to work with Eric and fine tune if necessary, he's extremely responsive and helpful. I also have an AEM CAI on the way which will be installed this week. If you monitor the FS section you can make out pretty good without having to pay full price. I would personally suggest picking up an AP regardless, just because the functionality is very useful even beyond reflashing (i.e. reading/clearing codes, performing data logs, etc.).

I'm slowly working towards Stage 2 but I'm not in a rush, trying to make sure I do things right.
    Be aware that the V2 will likely be discontinued / no longer supported now that the V3 is released. I want to say there was a year or two that they continued to support the V1 AP after the V2 was released.

UNYSOC

Be aware that the V2 will likely be discontinued / no longer supported now that the V3 is released. I want to say there was a year or two that they continued to support the V1 AP after the V2 was released.
    Thanks, I was not aware of that!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13wrxMA
    Thanks, I was not aware of that!
    They offer an upgrade program where they discount a new AP if you mail in your old one.

UNYSOC

It wouldn't surprise me if you've heard it, as it's often times thrown around; however, it's a false claim.

What's the point? Any tech worth their pay would be able to tell that the downpipe was tampered with. A dealership is able to tell that the ECU was flashed if they dig into it (which, with a claim like a transmission/engine, they may). If you try to defraud them, don't expect them to work with you and "good will" the repair (not saying if you're honest they will either, but I know as a service manager, I wouldn't work with you if you tried to lie to me).
    Keep in mind I am not trying to argue with you but I just wanted to post up a link of one of the articles that I found some info on the intake which essentially helped me decide to go another route, that cost for such minimal gains combined with the stock intake being fairly capable for the WHP that I will be shooting for (according to that article) made me not want to waste my money on it.
    Intake FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

As for the Accessport, I agree, any tech would be able to tell the downpipe has been tampered with and I know they can tell the ECU has been messed with but they might not dig that deep depending on the dealership. Our local dealership is currently replacing a new (11k mile) blown motor that I am betting was tuned although they can't prove it, they ended up claiming the guy was ''rodding'' on it but they still replaced the motor (although I am sure it was a fight).
    So basically for added piece of mind I would like the ability to quickly flash back to stock even though I know it is sorta pointless to buy an Accessport when you are just going to get a protune.
    I also like the idea that the AP can run 3 gauges on its screen (potentially saving a customer money).
    I go on several long trips and the fuel savings map intrigues me, even if it doesn't work I still want to try it lol.
    The anti theft and flat foot shifting (I know it isn't recommended) also peak my interest.

Basically the AP seems like a fun toy that may keep me busy for a while lol. I can't wait to go stage 1 so I can start saving for the downpipe and stage2! Who knows where I will end up but those are the goals for the next year or so.

Sorry to thread jack but I just wanted to clear up why I asked what I asked (although I probably failed lol) which may or may not actually help the OP make his decision one way or the other.

And EJ257 I have read a lot of you stuff and totally value your opinion on all this stuff so hopefully none of this offends you in any way cuz I look forward to picking your brain in the future lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.