Stock WRX Tune That Bad? On the fence for Stage 1 - 13' WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Stock WRX Tune That Bad? On the fence for Stage 1 - 13' WRX within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The AP is my only mod so far, and probably will be for a while. I was driving on the ...

The AP is my only mod so far, and probably will be for a while. I was driving on the COBB 91 octane map and it was a huge improvement over stock. The AP is easy, and the maps seem pretty good.

I've started an e-tune and getting things dialed in nicely now.
    Targeting 16lbs of boost, and the STFT and LTFT hold pretty steady under 3% once warmed up. Also tweaking the WGDC to get the turbo to spool a little quicker. A local shop has a event coming up in a month, and I'll get some dyno runs just to see how it does there.

Good luck
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUPATROOPA
    Keep in mind I am not trying to argue with you but I just wanted to post up a link of one of the articles that I found some info on the intake which essentially helped me decide to go another route, that cost for such minimal gains combined with the stock intake being fairly capable for the WHP that I will be shooting for (according to that article) made me not want to waste my money on it.
    Intake FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    The thread was originally written back when WRXs were 2.0L and had a TD04. The 2.5L motors with VFXX turbos are a bit different animal. On those cars, with a S2 tune, I'd expect an additional 10-15whp in the RPM range with an intake on the car (vs OE airbox). If you're already paying for a custom tune on the car, and $200 or so can net you an additional 15whp, I don't really see it being that bad of a bang/buck modification, especially if you like the intake sound. The problem lies in that S2 power levels pretty much max out your stock fuel system, so you're often times not able to squeeze out all the power from the additional airflow due to having to keep IDCs in check. This is where being able to read a dyno plot comes into play; IDCs increase throughout the RPM range, and peak HP values will be in the upper RPMs. Therefore, while you may only go up 5whp at peak, you may have 2500 RPMs worth of 10-15whp increase (just a random example).

When fueling is not an issue, however, you can really see the gains of OE vs aftermarket:
    2011 Subaru STI stage 2 plus intake. Before/After intake test. - NASIOC

Is the stock airbox sufficient at 300whp? Absolutely. The problem is that many people will bastardize that claim and make it out to seem that there's little/nothing to be gained until you're at XXX hp (bhp/whp).
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-09-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it! On an unrelated note, unfortunately after work today, I hopped in my car and my car is throwing another CEL. The dreaded P0451 is plaguing me. So I get to figure this crap out first from the dealer as the first repair didn't fix it apparently. Oh the setbacks....

But yeah, I think I will definitely save for the v3 AP and run a cobb map. I keep forgetting that cobb is out here in Plano, Texas so I can always take the drive down there and buy in person or what not...who knows, I might get some more info off a tech while im down there!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.