Possible stage 1 knock??? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Possible stage 1 knock??? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Haha. And ducati??? ppppssshhhhhh. GSX-R FTW!!!!...

Haha. And ducati??? ppppssshhhhhh. GSX-R FTW!!!!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

quick question... I would like to tune the car again because I really did like the subtle increase in power stage 1 offered. My question is someone on this thread had mentioned that just because your log numbers look good doesnt mean the tune couldnt have caused the spun bearing. Is there any truth to this and is there anything I can do to better keep track of the car other then logging? I am almost positive the spun bearing was not a caused by the tune mostly because the dealer though my oil was the problem, but I am just trying to be safe. I am also wondering if its worth doing a stage 1 pro tune if thats any safer then the cobb maps or even If I should go with the torqued performance map. Any advice?

If a tune "caused" the spun bearing issue to occur, that means the tune was crappy and logs should have shown that. If a tune is logging well and looking good, then the issue that occurred would probably have occurred due to a mechanical issue within the engine itself (oil problem as you stated?).

A protune more than likely would be safer as it's specific for your car. Its customized. While OTS Cobb tunes and the likes are usually fine since they are a bit more mundane and dumbed down to work with ALL cars it is designed for, it doesn't have the level of customization which provides a level of safety.

If you want to go Stage 1, do it. If you're worried, don't do it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I honestly dont think that your Cobb tune was the cause of a bottom end failure, lack of oil , wrong oil , or deffective oil pump or an engine put together wrong day of the week (for Ducatis it would be MOndays or Fridays!), usually failures for bad tuning are more encounter in the top end, especially derived from AF ratio being way off in between others...

Cheers

thanks I was just looking for some reassurance on the tune. My numbers were all good so I will be tuning it again Im just not sure if I want to spend the extra money to have it protuned, or what do you guys think of the torqued performance maps are they worth the 100 bucks for the map or are the cobb maps dencent enough to leave till I decide to protune it ??

sounds like a good plan! Btw I am getting my COBB AP V3 tomorrow evening , cant wait to have it up and running....

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Kam91 View Post
    thanks I was just looking for some reassurance on the tune. My numbers were all good so I will be tuning it again Im just not sure if I want to spend the extra money to have it protuned, or what do you guys think of the torqued performance maps are they worth the 100 bucks for the map or are the cobb maps dencent enough to leave till I decide to protune it ??
    TP maps aren't terrible, but after some research and learning some things about the way those maps are built, I wouldn't do it.

If you were to go dyno protune, I'd look into Stage 2.

If you want to go the email tune route, look into WTF Tuning. I can vouch personally for their tuner, Matty who mods around here. I'm currently running a Stage 1 map from them and I love it. My last STI had a Stage 2 map from them and it ran incredibly well. Shoot em an email here: wtftuning@gmail.com
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    TP maps aren't terrible, but after some research and learning some things about the way those maps are built, I wouldn't do it.

If you were to go dyno protune, I'd look into Stage 2.

If you want to go the email tune route, look into WTF Tuning. I can vouch personally for their tuner, Matty who mods around here. I'm currently running a Stage 1 map from them and I love it. My last STI had a Stage 2 map from them and it ran incredibly well. Shoot em an email here: wtftuning@gmail.com
    How does the email tune work? Do they just set you up with a basic tune and you keep emailing them log numbers so they can see whats going on with the car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam91
    I am also wondering if its worth doing a stage 1 pro tune if thats any safer then the cobb maps or even If I should go with the torqued performance map. Any advice?
    I wouldn't bother with slapping your car on a dyno for a S1 tune. If the tuner just wants to do a road tune, that's perfectly sufficient, and likely should save you some $ in the process.

Any base map is going to be hit or miss. Some cars take them well, some cars won't. Some may have some minor edits that need to be made. Cobb maps, in general, aren't too bad, and shouldn't be the cause of the failure. If your car died at S1 power levels, and the car wasn't detonating like crazy, the car would've blown up stock.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123