Possible stage 1 knock??? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Possible stage 1 knock??? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Kam91 That was my next question now as I stated I am running a stage 1 tune ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kam91 View Post
    That was my next question now as I stated I am running a stage 1 tune will they still warranty this? Or should I put it back to stock and unmarry the ap before I take it in? If I do the second option will the dealer still be able to tell the ecu has been tampered with?
    They could tell if they looked for it...but they'd have to take the time to figure it out, which are billable hours. Its all up to the dealer to make that call. There are dealers that are mod friendly, than others that really dislike mods...so it's a toss up. Did you launch the car or drive it hard or spiritedly or anything prior to the issue occurring?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    They could tell if they looked for it...but they'd have to take the time to figure it out, which are billable hours. Its all up to the dealer to make that call. There are dealers that are mod friendly, than others that really dislike mods...so it's a toss up. Did you launch the car or drive it hard or spiritedly or anything prior to the issue occurring?
    My guess is that this should be covered under my powertrain warranty theres only 10k miles on the car and as far as driving it I drove it "spiritedly" a few days ago but nothing crazy and I haven't ever launched the car, but the cars been fine since this morning.... with how loud that noise is I absolutely would have heard it if it had started right after my spirited drive a few days ago.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam91
    My guess is that this should be covered under my powertrain warranty
    You violated your side of the warranty; you modified the vehicle to perform outside the specs that Subaru "guaranteed" the vehicle to perform properly within...SoA has every right to deny your claim.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Cars at the dealer there gonna tear it down today and see whats up with it... Not that it matters now because its going to be up to the dealer whether or not to warranty it but as far as the tune goes if none of my logs had any numbers out of place and everything looked fine is it possible I just got a bad car or do you guys think it was 100% the stage one tunes fault (my fault for being an idiot)??? or is it possible its just coincidence??

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    We can't make that judgement; we don't know what's wrong with the car.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Kam91 View Post
    Cars at the dealer there gonna tear it down today and see whats up with it... Not that it matters now because its going to be up to the dealer whether or not to warranty it but as far as the tune goes if none of my logs had any numbers out of place and everything looked fine is it possible I just got a bad car or do you guys think it was 100% the stage one tunes fault (my fault for being an idiot)??? or is it possible its just coincidence??
    Just because logs don't look bad at all, doesn't mean a tune couldn't cause an issue. It very well could have been something wrong with the actual build of your car, that adding more power just finally pushed that issue over the edge. There's really no way to tell until they come back and say exactly what is wrong with it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

well looks as though the dealer is going to cover it (big sigh of relief). They told me originally they wouldnt guarantee it was going to be covered nor would they give me a loaner car till they did testing on it. So dealer called today and said they have a loaner for me and that SOA gave them the ok to put me in a loaner as well as tear my block apart. So they still dont know exactly whats wrong with it but it looks as though there going to cover it.

Any update on what it was?

Rod bearing.. time for a new engine.

*edit.. ohh snap, didn't even see a page two, just listened to the video, lol

you were running the HWG? not saying it was the cause, but if it were me and i flashed the cobb tune and i had to use either their LWG or HWG tunes i probably would have just gotten the car protuned. if i decided to still mod the car after seeing something wasn't right

Quote Originally Posted by anthony360 View Post
    Any update on what it was?
    rod bearing... Not telling anyone what to do but one of the first things the dealer asked me was if I changed the oil on time and if so what oil did I use? I told them I did change it on time and that I used mobil 1 (only after I heard the knock did I read about possible problems with this oil). Now I know some people have used mobil 1 their entire life but I will never use it again. Dealer asked me about the oil because he said it was like water when they drained it.... I told them thats insane because I had just changed it about 3k miles ago and its synthetic. Dealer told me that none of there techs like mobil 1 and that Subaru is real high on there own oil (could be bs) but I know I wont be using mobil 1 anymore. Everything worked out in the end brand new short block installed free of charge and got a nice fully loaded Outback for a rental for 2 weeks while they did everything. Overall very impressed with SOA and my dealer for doing everything in there power to make the process go smoothly.

Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic, I keep telling people how badly this oil shears in turbo charged applications. After 3k miles it's like hot coffee pouring out of your engine.. no lubrication.

Man just watch your video! it sounds like a rod knock to me, definetly not a rattle, Gosh thats a hard one , does the knocking increases with RPM?, checked your oil regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by blusuby View Post
    Man just watch your video! it sounds like a rod knock to me, definetly not a rattle, Gosh thats a hard one , does the knocking increases with RPM?, checked your oil regularly?
    Did you not read any of the second page? Lol.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

LOL! just read the whole thing! good for SOA to cover the damage, I work as a Ducati Master Tech, thats why I said it was a delicate subject... I am glad all worked out for you....

cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.