Cobb OTS Stage 1 for City Driving: '11-'13 WRX Owners chime in
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cobb OTS Stage 1 for City Driving: '11-'13 WRX Owners chime in within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Car: '13 Base WRX Sedan, ~4k miles Mods: Kartboy STS, Kartboy front & rear shifter bushings Driving style: Shift at ...

Cobb OTS Stage 1 for City Driving: '11-'13 WRX Owners chime in

Car: '13 Base WRX Sedan, ~4k miles

Mods: Kartboy STS, Kartboy front & rear shifter bushings

Driving style: Shift at 2600-3000 rpm, gone past 5k rpm maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 8 months of ownership. Shift at 4000-4200 rpm during "spirited driving". Don't beat on the car, pretty conservative.

I'm considering the Cobb AP stage 1 tune but am fairly skeptical whether it would do me any good. Not interested in more power, my main concern is reliability and smoothness. I've done endless searching in regards to the stage 1 tune and some have said that stage 1 actually feels weaker at lower rpms when compared to stock and that the power comes in later on in the powerband. I shift at pretty low rpms so having less power at that range is counterintuitive to my driving style. I drive 95% city with a stoplight on every block, so I don't have much chance to let the car fly. Just looking for WRX owners who have flashed to stage 1 to confirm whether or not this is true.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stage1 seems to be much smoother all around in my 2010 WRX even at low rpms. I can get extremely slow in first without it trying to bogg down.

However, in low rpms in getting consistent low value knocks. When cruising I get random high values. So I'm waiting on Cobb to reply to me for help. I've went through all their stage 1 maps without resolve. So make sure it runs good with your car.

But it seems to drive all around better.

When I tuned to stage 1 ots, I did some baseline runs on a dyno. I made about 10 less hp, but the area under the curve was much larger. The power band is much smoother and less spikey. If you want smooth and reliable, stage 1 is for you.

I only ran stage 1 until my parts came in. Now on e85 protune, which makes stage one look like an n/a impreza

Cobb Stage 1 was definitely smoother for me, Cobb stage 2 was similar in feel with a bit more power, but if you really want the car to feel like it should... contact Eric @ Torqued Performance and have him customize a stage 1 map for your car. You can flash his map with the Cobb AP, and you'll be AMAZED at the difference in smoothness and responsiveness... my only regret is that I didn't do it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid2k View Post
    Cobb Stage 1 was definitely smoother for me, Cobb stage 2 was similar in feel with a bit more power, but if you really want the car to feel like it should... contact Eric @ Torqued Performance and have him customize a stage 1 map for your car. You can flash his map with the Cobb AP, and you'll be AMAZED at the difference in smoothness and responsiveness... my only regret is that I didn't do it earlier.
    Of course a protune will feel much smoother, plus they can taper the tune to your liking. Depends on your budget. I highly recommend a protune which will be specific to YOUR car over a blanket map from Cobb or any other company.

There is a very noticeable difference between stock and stage 1, at least with this map (obviously I have no experience with Cobb, Perrin, etc). There is a smoother delivery, which I want to clarify. I read many reviews stating this, and as a result I think I expected that it would give more of a N/A feel. This is not the case. Light throttle still feels like an economy car, and there is a noticeable kick with the turbo does kick in. Lag is not really decreased, to my mind. However, there is more of a gradient when toying with the throttle. The best way I can think to describe is this: with the stock tune, it was more like an on/off switch. Either I was slow, or I was fast. There wasn't a huge difference between half, 3/4, and full throttle. Now I can toy with the throttle and truly get varying degrees of power. Finally, I experienced a hesitation or dip in the power delivery between 3k and 4k rpms on the stock map. That is gone.
    ^Plagiarized from my "build" thread. As mentioned, I haven't used the Cobb map, but from what I understand it's emphasis is more on smoothness and doesn't quite give as much of a kick in the pants as Eric's maps do.

I'm now on a WTF tune and will be posting a full review on that later, which I'll link to here for your reference. There are some differences that I will highlight that may be of interest to you, one in particular. /teaser
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Intrigued...

It's very worth it. The stock tunes are pretty crappy from Subaur. Stage 1 will smooth it all out, and as others say, improve the area under the curve. The power will be much more useful, especially for daily driving.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

- Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.