been dealing with this for a while now *****LOGS*****
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on been dealing with this for a while now *****LOGS***** within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2011 wrx sedan with a ton of bolt ons. turboXS fmic/CAI, turboXS turbo back catted exhaust, perrin ...

been dealing with this for a while now *****LOGS*****

I have a 2011 wrx sedan with a ton of bolt ons. turboXS fmic/CAI, turboXS turbo back catted exhaust, perrin inlet, grimmspeed ebcs, GReddy type S BOV recirculated, DW65C fuel pump and I believe the rest is irrelevant. Basically a decent stage 2 setup.

I am running TP stage 3 e tune and I cant say enough about eric. However, I have had a knock or false knock issue for over a year that I can not get to the bottom of. Basically the car pulls timing and learns to pull timing at WOT under full boost. It ranges from 1* to 4+. I cant find any apparent mechanical issues and I don't hear it knocking when the issue occurs.

I'm very sick of this car and about to trade it in if I cant fix the problem. I don't believe there is a boost leak but I could be wrong. Someone who is avid in tuning and is familiar with these cars please point me in the right direction. No CELs, not over boosting or under boosting, no smoke from tailpipes, no smoke or puffing from oil filler cap. I'm baffled at this point.

today 3rd gear pull

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kQmNzcFE#gid=0

a couple days ago again 3rd gear

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&usp=sharing

this ones clean.....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...RcVRNcnc#gid=0

this one is not bad either....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0clZUUVE#gid=0

this is the worst one yet....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&usp=sharing

actually this is the worst one.....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&usp=sharing

ok......so that is just a little bit of the history of the logs......since that terrible one a revision has been made and I fear it is heading back down the same direction. Any insight would be great.

thanks

Greg
    Last edited by wrx50; 08-15-2013 at 04:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Without looking at the logs, what does Eric say about it? I mean, you're paying him to tune the car (and "can't say enough about him"), so what is his input/advice?

To check for leaks, you need to pressure/smoke test the system.
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-15-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Eric said the last time that the AFR learning was leaning it out. The logs are posted and public correct?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx50
    Eric said the last time that the AFR learning was leaning it out. The logs are posted and public correct?
    Yeah, but I'm not sure what you want from us, bud...you're paying him to tune the car.

In reality, he has no idea what is happening with the AFRs, because you don't have a proper way to monitor them. If he's saying that AFRs are causing the issue, get yourself a WBO2 so you can dial in fueling and fix the problem.

UNYSOC

I should have mentioned that. I have a wideband and it reads anywhere from 11.0-11.5 and Eric is aware of its reading. I have sent him videos during the pull. I was just hoping someone who is well versed would see the logs and recognize an issue from past experience

I Support ClubWRX
    I should have mentioned that. I have a wideband and it reads anywhere from 11.0-11.5 and Eric is aware of its reading. I have sent him videos during the pull. I was just hoping someone who is well versed would see the logs and recognize an issue from past experience
    Why aren't you logging the AFRs via WBO2? Again, I'm not sure what you're looking for from us. If AFRs are causing the knock, it's either a leak, your MAF scaling is off, or some compensation table is causing the problem. Remotely, he (nor anyone) can't do anything to check for a leak; that's on you. If it's not a leak, that's on the tuner.
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-15-2013 at 05:26 PM.

UNYSOC

Okay then. Boost leak test it is

Okay. So Ive given up on trying to fix this myself. I scheduled an apt on September 9th at the shop ct.

Compression test first. If that comes back clear then boost leak test via pressure and smoke. Then switching the car to speed density and getting a dyno tune followed by a road tune. It may be a fuel issue so if it begins leaning out on the dyno we will fix that on the spot. Hopefully this solves the problem

I'm pretty mechanically inclined but the issue now is solely time that I don't have to attack this myself. So it's time to hand it over to a professional......I'll keep you guys posted if anyone is interested

I Support ClubWRX
    subscribed. interested to know what the problem turns out to be. good luck!
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Thanks. Either way a new tune is fun!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Okay. So Ive given up on trying to fix this myself. I scheduled an apt on September 9th at the shop ct.

Compression test first. If that comes back clear then boost leak test via pressure and smoke. Then switching the car to speed density and getting a dyno tune followed by a road tune. It may be a fuel issue so if it begins leaning out on the dyno we will fix that on the spot. Hopefully this solves the problem

I'm pretty mechanically inclined but the issue now is solely time that I don't have to attack this myself. So it's time to hand it over to a professional......I'll keep you guys posted if anyone is interested
    Glad to hear. If they're going to be doing a compression test, you may as well have them replace the plugs while they're there, so pick up a new set.

UNYSOC

That's not a bad idea EJ. I Will grab a new set of 1 steps

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.