ECU replacement?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ECU replacement? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm buying a 13 wrx and I'm planning to mod it if I bought a separate ecu and changed ...

ECU replacement?

So I'm buying a 13 wrx and I'm planning to mod it if I bought a separate ecu and changed it before tunning could I just switch it back to the original if (knock on wood) something goes south?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You're concerned about bricking the ECU? In addition to swapping the units you'd also have to reinstall the original parts should you chose to modify those. The replacement stock ECU will support the stock parts.

The numbers are in your favour though. Most don't brick their ECUs. So, you are likely to flash a new map without incident. Should you in fact brick it against the odds, you could buy another ECU then.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I would buy the ecu after its bricked, I'm not sure of the pricing for one but I'm sure its not cheap. Also I wouldnt be to concerned about messing up the ecu, I have yet to here of someone that has..

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk 2

Wow I'm lost. What is "bricking"?
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much every bolt on besides a bigger turbo.

Turning it into a fancy paperweight.

Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987 View Post
    Wow I'm lost. What is "bricking"?
    You kill it. Something goes wrong with a flash (lose power in the middle of it, gets shorted out, etc....completely dead)...it can no longer be used. It becomes about as useful as a brick sitting somewhere.

OP, in theory, yes you could just swap out an ECU as long as its the same make/model, but even a used one for such a new car won't be cheap. What are you worried about? Warranty issues or actually harming it?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

You also have to be concerned with certain issues that may occur when swapping out ECU. In my previous vehicle, I had a tuned ECU. I then bought a new ECU just to have a stock back up, but with it in place of the tuned one, the cruise control not longer worked. The only way to get the new one to work correctly, was to have the dealer correct it.

Honestly, if you are worried about them finding out you broke your car with modifications and them not fixing it under warranty, you're not going to have a whole lot of luck. A good tech can tell when a car has been taken back to stock for such reasons. So, if you want no issues with your warranty, modify it after it is up, or modify things that are less likely to cause catastrophic repair bills.
    '11 WRX DGM

I Support ClubWRX
    I have one dead ECU and one unreliable ECU.

I think my accessport just fried my ECU
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What's your plan about the immobilizer? Sounds like a big hassle to me.

For what it's worth, I thought the OP was talking about taking the original ECU out and using a different one to flash, in case he blows his engine to put the untampered with ECU back in the car in an attempt to defraud the dealership into performing warranty work on a car that has been modded. Not a bad idea (other than what are you going to do about the immobilizer), except for the fact that we're talking about fraud here, which is not legal.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I have one dead ECU and one unreliable ECU.

I think my accessport just fried my ECU
    I still wonder whether some sort of electrical abnormality bricked your ECU. Just seems against the odds otherwise.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.