Protune VS opensource
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Protune VS opensource within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys/gals, Im looking to go stage 2 within the next few months as was debating wether I would go ...

Protune VS opensource

Hey guys/gals,

Im looking to go stage 2 within the next few months as was debating wether I would go with a protune or a stage 2 OS. Now obviously I know there are some big differences between a protune an OS even for a newb like me, but was wondering what some of the big advantages of going protune over OS. Im wont be doing any autocross or racing, beside driving spirited from time to time. Im looking for a nice smooth power curve, obvious gain in HP/TQ, quicker throttle response without hurting my gas milage an life of the engine too bad as this will be my DD for many years. My mods will include invidia Catless DP & GrimmSpeed EBCS an maybe full exhaust, depending on how much I have saved at the time. Any input id kindly appreciated, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Found Some great Information over here - A Complete Tuning Guide - NASIOC.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You're talking about two different things. Open source is just a method of rewriting the ECU, a pro tune is the act of a professional actually making a custom map for your car. Most tuners I know use open source to tune cars (as well as Cobb Access Port and ECUTek).

Are you talking about using open source software to flash an off the shelf stage two map you have downloaded off the internet, vs having a professional make a map tailored to your car? It's likely that there isn't a free map available for your car (depending on what kind of car your have and what mods you are running). There are people who will make you a base map where you can safely run your mods for a relatively small fee, but it normally won't be designed to maximize performance, especially if you don't have a wide band O2 sensor installed that you can log.

The best option performance and reliability wise is to have a reputable Subaru tuner take the car and make a custom map specifically for it. Most tuners will charge between $300 and $500 for a real tune and they will have their own WBO2 to use on the car.

That article I found was able to answer a lot of questions I had about the difference in the tuning types. I guess the right question I should ask is, is it worth the money spent on a protune if it just my DD? I already have the stage 1 map from torqued performance an the car runs really good. Im just getting paranoid about breaking my car shortly after going stage 2. Thanks

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If it's a tune you're going to stick with for a long time, I would say it's always worth getting a good pro tune. But if you're going to get more parts in six months and need to tune again I would say wait.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.