Tuning noob, help with AP numbers
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tuning noob, help with AP numbers within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm new to tuning and the Accessport. Just received my cobb v3, flashed to the stage 1 93 map. Everything ...

Tuning noob, help with AP numbers

I'm new to tuning and the Accessport. Just received my cobb v3, flashed to the stage 1 93 map. Everything feels fine, power delivery and boost is much much smoother. But I wanted to make sure everything is really running good, and I'm reaching my target boost.

This is for my 2010 WRX sedan. These logs are like 5 miles each. I understand it's probably better to do 3rd gear pulls. Remember, this is completely new to me.

The car is completely stock, other than a K&N drop in filter and Cobb MAF hose. Pretty much stock anyways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375644888284.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	115442

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375644911994.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	115443

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375644932101.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	115444

Last night my highest boost was at 16.7. I never got above 16 today. I also noticed the slight off numbers in the first pic of the knock feedback. After that it didn't show up again.

I've tried doing research to find what numbers I need, and what to logg. Also to understand what I'm watching and what the numbers mean. But I haven't had a whole lot of help. Any help and further guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    YouTube

Edit: link dosnt work. Search: "AskCobb - Subaru Dat Logging" on YouTube. I think the same videos are on Cobb's website also.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-04-2013 at 01:48 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Information like that isn't really useful. The benefits of datalogging is you can see when the data occurs.

For a general all-purpose log on the Cobb AP, I'd recommend the following:
    Engine Speed
    Calculated Load
    Throttle Angle
    DAM
    Feedback Knock
    Fine Learned Knock
    Ignition Timing
    Boost (PSI)
    TD Boost Error

That will give a pretty generic overview of what's going on. Based on the results of that log, we can alter parameters for a more focused log if you find you're having issues.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Information like that isn't really useful. The benefits of datalogging is you can see when the data occurs.

For a general all-purpose log on the Cobb AP, I'd recommend the following:
    Engine Speed
    Calculated Load
    Throttle Angle
    DAM
    Feedback Knock
    Fine Learned Knock
    Ignition Timing
    Boost (PSI)
    TD Boost Error

That will give a pretty generic overview of what's going on. Based on the results of that log, we can alter parameters for a more focused log if you find you're having issues.
    How long do these need to be logged? In a 3rd gear pull or over a longer period of time?

Also Idk what my target boost is. I've looked through cobb website. And I can't look at the map notes currently fir the map I'm running from their site. Thanks

Here is my 3rd gear datalog. 2.3k-redline.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375755197808.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	115472

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375755223413.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	115473

These pics line up, I had to do separate pics from my phone.

I have had knock feedback values usually between 0 and -1.4. However, I've had 3 instances where they were below -2. Such as -2.45 and -2.8 which was the lowest. Are these of concern? They usually occured in 2rd gear at low rps while accelerating.

My DAM stays at full value of 1.00, never decreasing.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry I missed your reply last night...

You're still logging too many variables for my liking.

In the future, upload the logs to Google Docs, and set them to public.

UNYSOC

Sorry I missed your reply last night...

You're still logging too many variables for my liking.

In the future, upload the logs to Google Docs, and set them to public.

Thanks, I'll narrow them down. I just used what Cobb had as default.

UPDATE:

I switched back to stock air filter, and knocks got worse. My readings went from -1.4 and -2.8 all the way to -3.8. And they seemed to happen mostly during low rpms in 2nd gear.

My target boost is 16.5. I usually come in around 15.5 which is supposedly acceptable by +-1 psi. However, I flashed to the Stage1 93 MTv300 HWG to see if it made a difference.

Now I'm consistently getting boost in the 16 range, sometimes low 17's. Highest is 17.11 so far. And feedback knock is at 0.00, showing no adjustments. Usually I would get -1.4 when WOT, and now it's staying at 0.00 during WOT, and we'll as Fine Learned Knock.

I will do some more logging with fewer variables. I'm hopeful the high wastegate map may run better with my car.
    Last edited by tesla317; 08-06-2013 at 04:40 PM.

UPDATE:

Stage1 93 MTv300 HWG
    3rd gear pull

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375847367477.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	115497

Had trouble with Google Docs, this is the best I can do at the moment. Everything is on this single pic, and is limited to the 9 variables u specified.

The knock feed back during regular driving was 0 until tonight. Cruising in 5th, -3.1 reading which I couldn't replicate.

However, in 3rd gear around 2k rpms I had 3 instances in a row of -1.4, varying up and down. I re-created this 3 times but not after that. Any of this a concern?

I have to admit, I love this Accessport, but I've never been so paranoid of the condition of my car

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla317
    However, in 3rd gear around 2k rpms I had 3 instances in a row of -1.4, varying up and down. I re-created this 3 times but not after that. Any of this a concern?
    Was it just cruising around in 3rd or right after you hit the throttle?

UNYSOC

Was it just cruising around in 3rd or right after you hit the throttle?

After I hit the throttle going uphill. I went around to make another round in the same spot and it didn't do it. I'll keep an eye on it. Seems like since I changed my k&n filter it's got worse.

Update:

I have ran almost every map I can, even using 91 octane maps with 93 gas to help with the knock issue.

Usually when in gears 3rd-5th, at 2,000rpms I get a -1.4 knock feedback when applying light to moderate throttle. Doesn't happen at high rpms, just around 2k with throttle. I can replicate this issue about 50% of the time in almost all Cobb maps...even with " installed stock mode".

I've contacted cobb twice, and still waiting on a reply from my second email with datalogs and further questions.

Is the installed stock mode "MY" factory settings? Or a OTS stock map?

Also, when cruising in 5th and "light throttle" I'll see a random high value, as high as -5.6. They are not as common, but random. -2.8 comes up a little more. But these seem pretty consistent through all the maps, even Economy Mode.

I'm praying this is a tune issue...not mechanical. Again, completely stock...stock filter...25k miles. I currently have it uninstalled to ensure I'm on stock settings...I'm afraid to run it with these knock values.

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    Update:

I have ran almost every map I can, even using 91 octane maps with 93 gas to help with the knock issue.

Usually when in gears 3rd-5th, at 2,000rpms I get a -1.4 knock feedback when applying light to moderate throttle. Doesn't happen at high rpms, just around 2k with throttle. I can replicate this issue about 50% of the time in almost all Cobb maps...even with " installed stock mode".

I've contacted cobb twice, and still waiting on a reply from my second email with datalogs and further questions.

Is the installed stock mode "MY" factory settings? Or a OTS stock map?

Also, when cruising in 5th and "light throttle" I'll see a random high value, as high as -5.6. They are not as common, but random. -2.8 comes up a little more. But these seem pretty consistent through all the maps, even Economy Mode.

I'm praying this is a tune issue...not mechanical. Again, completely stock...stock filter...25k miles. I currently have it uninstalled to ensure I'm on stock settings...I'm afraid to run it with these knock values.
    You cannot datalog "MY" factory settings using the AP. Only way to go back to the "MY" factory settings is to unmarry the AP, thus no datalogging. Actually had this confirmed since I wanted an AP to datalog the stock factory tune without flashing to a staged map. As for the installed stock mode, I have no idea where they get that map from.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.