Does Low Voltage Causes Tons of Problems?

This is a discussion on Does Low Voltage Causes Tons of Problems? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; doing a big time upgrade to the audio system in my car. I've done the big 3 and i'll have ...

Does Low Voltage Causes Tons of Problems?

doing a big time upgrade to the audio system in my car. I've done the big 3 and i'll have a voltage gauge to monitor everything, but I wanted some input on a couple questions that I have.

I have some assumptions, such as don't push the car if i'm cranking the system, don't let the voltage drop below 13V. But could i potentially really screw stuff up from enough voltage drop?

and while i'm at it, anyone had any experience with larger after market alternators?

for reference, I'm probably going to be looking at a total of 1050 watts rms (at full volume) after i set all the gains the way i plan to. But i could potentially be looking at 1500 watts rms if I were to use the amps i've purchased to their full potential (again at full volume). (2 class d sundown amps).

any advice could help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I burned out my alternator running 1200 watts in my S10.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Low voltage will cause erratic sensor readings, potential CELs for no mechanical fault, and may also affect idle.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    What year vehicle? Yes low voltages can affect performance. The ECU does use injector latency corrections for different system voltages but ignition and other functions do not.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2013 wrx

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    ..could i potentially really screw stuff up from enough voltage drop?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    and while i'm at it, anyone had any experience with larger after market alternators?

Yes, and no.. I am running a Maniac Electric 160amp alternator in my car. It is not really larger as it's rebuilt from an OEM Forester-XT case. It is however much more efficient than the OEM alternator and is capable of putting out over 100A at idle. I have also performed the diode mod to bump up my system's voltage. With the car running I always read 14.4V (+/-.2V). I have done the "Big 3" with four gauge wire in addition to the stock wiring, as well as an engine grounding mod to various ground points on the TB, IM, and heads.. And I run an Optima Yellow Top battery.

Ok, so definitely keep an eye on the voltage. i'll search the diode mod, and look into the 160 Amp alternator. i don't plan on upgrading my system any further. but it'd be nice to not have to worry about stuff