2002 JDM WRX Wagon + E85

This is a discussion on 2002 JDM WRX Wagon + E85 within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm really not knowledgable about this stuff. They've just started selling E85 where I live, I suspect it of having ...

2002 JDM WRX Wagon + E85

I'm really not knowledgable about this stuff.

They've just started selling E85 where I live, I suspect it of having more consistent octane ratings than. Than the regular Petrol sold from the pumps (3rd world country, you'd be surprised at what makes its way into fuel that's been hauled through 2 countries)

My question is this, Would I be able to just fill up with E85? or would it cause problems and damage the car over time. I don't have access to a tuner here. (anyone who's able to offer me a e-tune, please PM me a quote) or would some sort of piggy back (like how they do in Japan), be an option?

The second part of this question is, what would be involved in switching between E85 and regular fuel? Because on long journey's E85 won't always be available.
    Last edited by n0ugh7; 07-25-2013 at 03:47 AM.
    Red JDM 2002 WRX 20K Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also if anyone has any recommendations how to get the most outta my car, please tell me what bits to look at. my budgets about $2500.00 over the next 4-5 months, excluding regular service parts and fluids. 275-300whp, would be perfect. From what I understand that is possible on E85, without replacing the stock turbo. I'm sure a pretty hardcore tune would be needed to realize those numbers.
    Last edited by n0ugh7; 07-25-2013 at 03:37 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by n0ugh7 View Post
    I'm really not knowledgable about this stuff.

They've just started selling E85 where I live, I suspect it of having more consistent octane ratings than. Than the regular Petrol sold from the pumps (3rd world country, you'd be surprised at what makes its way into fuel that's been hauled through 2 countries)

My question is this, Would I be able to just fill up with E85? or would it cause problems and damage the car over time. I don't have access to a tuner here. (anyone who's able to offer me a e-tune, please PM me a quote) or would some sort of piggy back (like how they do in Japan), be an option?

The second part of this question is, what would be involved in switching between E85 and regular fuel? Because on long journey's E85 won't always be available.
    No you can't just fill up with E-85. The AFR is different due to the ethanol. Yes it would very much damage the motor. You have to use injectors almost twice the size you have now and retune the fuel and ignition tables. You would also need to upgrade the fuel pump.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Hi Donkey,
    Ok, that all makes sense. If I got an uprated fuel pump and bigger injectors, would an e-tune be a viable solution? because the nearest tuner I know of is more than 12hrs away.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by n0ugh7
    Hi Donkey,
    Ok, that all makes sense. If I got an uprated fuel pump and bigger injectors, would an e-tune be a viable solution? because the nearest tuner I know of is more than 12hrs away.
    E-Tuning is only as good as the data collected. If you're able to get proper data to the tuner, they can get you dialed in pretty good remotely.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

EJ257, I'm pretty good at following instructions. I guess the stuff i'd need for a E-Tune, would depend on the tuners preferences with what system he likes to use? So I guess the next logical question, is who does good E-Tunes, that I can talk to about getting my wagon tuned?

A lot of guys with WRX' get UniChips (the guy who does them is based 12hrs away in South Africa). From what I've read, my car isn't fully OBDII compatible. Or it uses a strange standard. I tried emailing a bunch of places that offer E-Tunes, but they all said that they don't touch JDM.
    Last edited by n0ugh7; 07-25-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by n0ugh7 View Post
    Also if anyone has any recommendations how to get the most outta my car, please tell me what bits to look at. my budgets about $2500.00 over the next 4-5 months, excluding regular service parts and fluids. 275-300whp, would be perfect. From what I understand that is possible on E85, without replacing the stock turbo. I'm sure a pretty hardcore tune would be needed to realize those numbers.
    Stage 2 would get you good power on pump gas
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying