Replacement front O2 sensor $ ?

This is a discussion on Replacement front O2 sensor $ ? within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my racecar got sick. Traced it down to open circuit on the oxygen front sensor. Subaru wants 0! They ...

Replacement front O2 sensor $ ?

So my racecar got sick. Traced it down to open circuit on the oxygen front sensor. Subaru wants $200! They don't even have it in stock... Anybody with any good idea?
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Interested in used? I've got one..

Well, I guess there's not much else... I just ordered the one EJ recommended. Couldn't find anything else that looked trustworthy. Also, I'd rather spend a bit more and not have to do it repeatedly, that's why I'm not really interested in used. Nothing against MainFrame, on the contrary, he's one character I'd trust.

No worries.. an O2 sensor with 90k on it isn't going to last forever, but if money's tight it's a viable option for some.

Robin, thanks for the offer. Matthew, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Now, is there a concern about the tune after changing the sensor? Probably not, but I'd rather ask than messing up. Of course, I could log and send the log to Eric @ TP...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo
    Robin, thanks for the offer. Matthew, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Now, is there a concern about the tune after changing the sensor? Probably not, but I'd rather ask than messing up. Of course, I could log and send the log to Eric @ TP...
    Unless there was an issue with the front O2 sensor when you did the tuning that Eric accounted for, there should be no issue.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks. So unless the is something not feeling quite right, I'll just watch it for a bit...
    Now I've got to wait for the sensor to get here, probably will take 'til next Monday, dang it.

If you're concerned, just check learning view a day or two after replacing the sensor.

So the front is now in the air, my little dog was like "what the heck is this" and went right under there to check it out. She's used to the car sitting there, but not this way. It'll sit like that for a while, I guess...
    Once done I'll hook up the android to monitor and then check Learning View as well. But at least I can drive it with not too much worry, thanks.

So finally the sensor, ordered from Amazon, came in. It's got the wrong plug, I'll have to change the plug to the one off the old sensor. What I learned here:
    Get the sensor from Subaru !! , it's about 35 bones more, but way faster and right fit. 2 weeks wait and then still not quite right and during those 2 weeks I had to drive the Hemi Ram, I know I've spent way more for the additional gas burned than the "cheaper" sensor saved me. Also, I had a bit of surface skin cancer removed earlier today, so I'm waiting with the install until the weekend...
    Last edited by Ingo; 07-03-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Well, this weekend I changed the plug on the new sensor to the old sensor's plug and installed. I put anti-seize on the sensor and also on the screws holding the heat shield on the exhaust manifold. The screws where very hard to loosen when I took things apart, hopefully this will help. Fixed up a couple of the missing plastic pieces holding the fender liners and such. Car seems to be running fine. So after all this there has been a learning experience for me...