question about o2 sensor and tuning

This is a discussion on question about o2 sensor and tuning within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is the stock o2 sensor a wideband sensor? because I see threads saying to log data with your AP to ...

question about o2 sensor and tuning

Is the stock o2 sensor a wideband sensor? because I see threads saying to log data with your AP to make sure its safe, but if the stock sensor is not wideband then the information is not that good. If im correct you need an aftermarket DP to put in a wideband or I guess solder in a bung on the stock one...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The front O2 sensor is a wideband sensor, but it's not suitable for WOT AFR readings. You need a separate WBO2 sensor located post-turbo (pre-cat, if applicable), to get accurate readings.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by crows View Post
    Is the stock o2 sensor a wideband sensor?
    What ^^ Said
    but if the stock sensor is not wideband then the information is not that good.
    True
    If im correct you need an aftermarket DP to put in a wideband
    Correct

So at the cobb site they state that for "stage 1" there is no hardware needed only the stock car, in that case what would I be looking for from the log to see if the car is "safe" because from whats been posted the stock 02 is not reliable at WOT for A/F readings..

I Support ClubWRX
    When i initially went stage 1 I had a WB02 sensor welded into my stock DP. If you flash to stage 1 the biggest thing to look for is if you are getting knock (feedback knock) for safety. Also you want to check the map notes to make sure your map is getting the results that are specified (i.e. map notes say X lbs or boost, am I getting that much boost?). Have fun. WB02 is worth the money.

Ok so its not mandatory to have the WBO2 I suppose, I do have an LC-1 on another car but since to install it I would need to either modify the stock DP or go aftermarket I was hoping to just leave the car stock and reflash stage 1. I'm thinking for extra safety I can just go to the dyno and flash stage 1 there and use their pipe sniffer WB to check the A/F readings.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crows
    Ok so its not mandatory to have the WBO2 I suppose, I do have an LC-1 on another car but since to install it I would need to either modify the stock DP or go aftermarket I was hoping to just leave the car stock and reflash stage 1. I'm thinking for extra safety I can just go to the dyno and flash stage 1 there and use their pipe sniffer WB to check the A/F readings.
    The cats will alter the AFR readings at the tailpipe, which is why I said it needs to be pre-cat.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The cats will alter the AFR readings at the tailpipe, which is why I said it needs to be pre-cat.
    understood.

With the Cobb AP is there a way to reflash the stock map such that the dealer cannot tell you have ever modified the ECU?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crows
    understood.

With the Cobb AP is there a way to reflash the stock map such that the dealer cannot tell you have ever modified the ECU?
    What you're asking for is a way to defraud SoA...

UNYSOC