Stage 1: Cobb vs. Perrin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 1: Cobb vs. Perrin within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey y'all! I've had my WRX for about 9 months now and I love it to death! I plan on ...

Stage 1: Cobb vs. Perrin

Hey y'all! I've had my WRX for about 9 months now and I love it to death! I plan on going stage 1 very very soon and I was wondering if I should go through COBB or Perrin. I understand that Perrin is also using the COBB accessport but has its own maps along with COBBs on it. On both websites, the stage 1 is 595.00$, but the Perrin kit includes a panel filter as well. I was leaning towards the Perrin, however, I was wondering why Perrin offers more for the same amount of money. Is Perrin a trusted name in tuning? Which one do you all suggest I go with? Also, would my car react any differently it being a 2013? Sorry if these questions seem very basic, I am new the tuning scene. I'd love to here your suggestions. Thanks a lot guys!

The links for the two products are:
    PERRIN Performance — — 2009+ Subaru WRX Stage 1 Power Kit

COBB Tuning - Subaru Accessport

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Because Cobb has mandatory pricing. Which means in order to entice you to purchase your AP through them, Perrin includes other goodies.

Either one is a base map, and may or may not work well on your car.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Go with Perrin! It is a no brainer. You'll have everything COBB offers plus the panel filter and Perrin map. I used their stage 1 map for about two years and totally loved it. It provides more power than the COBB stage 1 map (I've tried them both)
    2008 WRX HATCH W/ TORQUED PERFORMANCE STAGE 3.52

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The Perrin map has (hopefully) included custom MAFv scaling for their panel filter. I'm not sure I'd trust that the MAFv scaling would be applicable to every car. Datalogging is a must, but it's a must for every OTS map incidentally. Without a wideband O2 sensor, I'm not sure I'd utilize any map that has been designed for a different intake. But hey, it's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightway View Post
    It provides more power than the COBB stage 1 map (I've tried them both)
    How have you quantified this? I don't trust a butt dyno.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I got a protune Stage 1 for $400 and i trust that more than an OTS map.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

No.
    I only have the graphs that both COBB and Perrin posted on their websites and many hours of "butt dyno". In any case he will have both for the same price with the Perrin option an can do his own "butt dyno" or go to a real dyno if he wants.

zax
    No.
    I only have the graphs that both COBB and Perrin posted on their websites and many hours of "butt dyno". In any case he will have both for the same price with the Perrin option an can do his own "butt dyno" or go to a real dyno if he wants.
    You can't compare two dyno graphs from different cars, different dynamometers, different testing conditions, and different operators.

I'm willing to put money on the fact that Perrin (without having both maps in front of me to compare) took the Cobb map, scaled the MAFv for the panel filter, and that's all she wrote. And I can assure you the addition of a panel filter will not add any power that can be registered by a butt dyno

EDIT: If you would like to be the guinea pig, I'd be interested in you using ATR (AccessTuner Race) to compare both maps from Perrin and Cobb. In all likelihood Perrin has locked the map for editing, but it's worth a shot.

Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by jeremydingeman View Post
    I got a protune Stage 1 for $400 and i trust that more than an OTS map.
    A protune (with a good tuner) will almost always yield better results. But the Accessport can do a lot more than just carry an OTS map (clear codes, datalog, and so on..)

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You can't compare two dyno graphs from different cars, different dynamometers, different testing conditions, and different operators.

I'm willing to put money on the fact that Perrin (without having both maps in front of me to compare) took the Cobb map, scaled the MAFv for the panel filter, and that's all she wrote. And I can assure you the addition of a panel filter will not add any power that can be registered by a butt dyno

EDIT: If you would like to be the guinea pig, I'd be interested in you using ATR (AccessTuner Race) to compare both maps from Perrin and Cobb. In all likelihood Perrin has locked the map for editing, but it's worth a shot.
    You are still skipping the fact that the Perrin option gives more for the same money. The fact that it includes an additional map and a panel filter does not mean you'll have to use them.

zax
    A protune (with a good tuner) will almost always yield better results. But the Accessport can do a lot more than just carry an OTS map (clear codes, datalog, and so on..)
    I have an AP. It sits on my desk and collects dust. I made the switch over to Tactrix OP2.0 last year and have never been happier. For the same price as an AP, you can have the OP2.0 and a laptop dedicated to sitting in your car.

You are still skipping the fact that the Perrin option gives more for the same money. The fact that it includes an additional map and a panel filter does not mean you'll have to use them.
    Agreed.

Facebook me here

I have decided to buy from Perrin since it is the better deal, I mean considering you do get Perrin's maps as well as COBB' and Perrin's according to many seems to show more power gain. But I was curious, you got a protune stage 1 for 400$? That's awesome! seems like a good deal, I'm not too sure I'll be able to find one like it. If I do simply go for the OTS maps, I'll go with Perrin's. Thanks for the input guys! Really helped a lot!

For whats its worth the first tune was $400. And the subsequent stage 2 tune was $200. Its was at PRE in Oregon. I know it doesn't do much for you in Michigan, just giving you more information since you said you were curious.

Yeah im new to the tuning scene so I just found out that in order to have a stage 1 protune you have to have an accessport. But in general a protune does seem more efficient than an OTS map. Thanks!

I do not have an accessport.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrx>>
    Yeah im new to the tuning scene so I just found out that in order to have a stage 1 protune you have to have an accessport. But in general a protune does seem more efficient than an OTS map. Thanks!
    Depends on the definition of "Protune"...

A "ProTune" is by definition a custom reflash of a Cobb AP with Cobb AccessTUNER Pro. However, most people refer to a "protune" as a custom tune in general, put on with whatever means are available. You can get a custom reflash with OpenECU software, which doesn't require any hardware on the end-users side of things.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast